What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

anything and nothing
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by Tinkaroo » 29 Nov 2016 10:50

You know you're a nerd when you order the complete Star Trek original series as a Christmas present to yourself after watching 2001 A Space Odyssey. =D>

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 29 Nov 2016 17:06

Tinkaroo wrote:You know you're a nerd when you order the complete Star Trek original series as a Christmas present to yourself after watching 2001 A Space Odyssey. =D>

Both classics =D>

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 01 Dec 2016 20:34

andybeau wrote:
Tinkaroo wrote:You know you're a nerd when you order the complete Star Trek original series as a Christmas present to yourself after watching 2001 A Space Odyssey. =D>

Both classics =D>
I totally agree!

I watched the Kubrick film in BluRay and it is visually stunning.

I just got the Star Trek TOS today in regular DVD but the quality of the restoration work on it is really excellent. They have even redone some of the scoring and visual effects while keeping true to the original concept. The color is also much more vivid rather than looking washed out.

The package includes all episodes on 25 discs all in a small package about the size of a fat paperback.

It also includes some extras.

romanose

Post by romanose » 02 Dec 2016 08:53

Mine came in 40 boxes and takes up about 3 feet of shelf space. In bright orange no less.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 02 Dec 2016 09:02

Tinkaroo wrote:
andybeau wrote:

Both classics =D>
I totally agree!

I watched the Kubrick film in BluRay and it is visually stunning.

I just got the Star Trek TOS today in regular DVD but the quality of the restoration work on it is really excellent. They have even redone some of the scoring and visual effects while keeping true to the original concept. The color is also much more vivid rather than looking washed out.

The package includes all episodes on 25 discs all in a small package about the size of a fat paperback.

It also includes some extras.
Agree with you on all accounts :D

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 02 Dec 2016 10:56

romanose wrote:Mine came in 40 boxes and takes up about 3 feet of shelf space. In bright orange no less.
They really overdid the packaging on some of those previous releases! :cry:

One thing for sure is that you can't miss finding them in that bright orange coloration. They probably cost a lot more than this complete series which marks the 50th anniversary of when it first aired.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 02 Dec 2016 11:24

You have to either love or hate some of the targeted pop up ads!

I just got one for a 50th anniversary Star Trek TOS stamp set put out by Canada Post.They actually look pretty good. I may see a trip to the post office in my future. :lol:

romanose

Post by romanose » 02 Dec 2016 15:07

I got my set in the nineties and each two hour dvd was $25. I could have waited for the price to come down. I wanted the original series and the next generation too badly. I still haven't bought the others though. I have them on my hard drive so I could burn them I suppose.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 02 Dec 2016 16:20

romanose wrote:I got my set in the nineties and each two hour dvd was $25. I could have waited for the price to come down. I wanted the original series and the next generation too badly. I still haven't bought the others though. I have them on my hard drive so I could burn them I suppose.
That sounds like a great collection!

I will have to look into getting Star Trek-The Next Generation next.
Perhaps it might come on sale in the next month or so. :-k

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 05 Dec 2016 18:21

Does having a Micro-Tip Screwdriver Set and Deoxit on your Christmas list mean you are nerdy? :-)

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/pa ... 43417&ap=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Cleaner-D5S-6-Deo ... B0002BBV4G

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 05 Dec 2016 19:48

spensar wrote:Does having a Micro-Tip Screwdriver Set and Deoxit on your Christmas list mean you are nerdy? :-)

Definitely! Especially when you know how to use them. :mrgreen:

Also a pocket multi-tool,Swiss army knife and pocket micro-tip screwdriver set also qualify. Some might laugh but at least we are prepared. =D>

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Dec 2016 06:27

Tinkaroo wrote:
spensar wrote:Does having a Micro-Tip Screwdriver Set and Deoxit on your Christmas list mean you are nerdy? :-)

Also a pocket multi-tool,Swiss army knife and pocket micro-tip screwdriver set also qualify. Some might laugh but at least we are prepared. =D>
Add in a currency microscope or jeweler's loupe, a soldering iron, and an LED work light, and you've got one heck of a "electronics nerd essentials" kit...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 06 Dec 2016 10:16

vinyl master wrote:
Tinkaroo wrote:

Add in a currency microscope or jeweler's loupe, a soldering iron, and an LED work light, and you've got one heck of a "electronics nerd essentials" kit...
Those are great ideas VM! =D>

I've seen some soldering irons that work on butane too before. Plus the LED lamp could be the headband miners lamp type!

I got a soldering iron recently that had built in LED's which helps to illuminate whatever you are soldering. :mrgreen:

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 06 Dec 2016 18:11

Excellent!

I've been enjoying the 2004 DVD issue that came in the three plastic boxes as depicted below (photo from a present posting in eBay) - superb color, and thru the years I have become accustomed to, and now actually like, the enhancements they have included on the orbit shots, amongst others.

Best from the Pampas,
Roberto
Attachments
Star Trek.jpg
(198.97 KiB) Downloaded 323 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 07 Dec 2016 10:15

That looks like a fabulous set Roberto! =D>