What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

anything and nothing
RockerFrank
Finland

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by RockerFrank » 20 Oct 2016 06:55

The Spectrum too used a television for a monitor. It didn't need a cassette drive either, you just connected it to the headphone jack of a regular portable cassette player. The volume and tone settings on the deck had to be adjusted differently for each game to load successfully.

The keyboard was pretty and colourful and the rubber keys gave a nice feeling. Another distinctive feature was the one-touch command entry: J for "load", S for "save" etc.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 21 Oct 2016 10:17

Casio PQ15-1K.jpg
(256.43 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Further proof that I am indeed a nerd. This is "exhibit C". :-s

I had one of these for over 20 years till it recently died and was given a proper burial.So I just bought a brand new one! =D>

I find it handy since I live in a rural area subject to power outages in the winter especially. I also like the LED light and thermometer function since it confirms why I am actually freezing to death or not! :lol:

Plus it folds up for travel if needed, so pretty useful, as well as nerdy. If you have one similar to this you should fess up that you too may be a nerd. #-o

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 21 Oct 2016 20:43

Tink: *lol* Got to laugh, 'cause I have a similar Casio (PQ-50C), which I bought in a mall in San Francisco I think in 2000 or 2001. That one is a bit smaller (with the stand/lid covering the whole front, when closed), and the design is a bit 1st-gen.-iMac-like, but the display is almost the same, just with slightly different arrangement (with the row with the alarm signal and temperature on top). Quite a reliable thingy, but a bit fast (ca. 5 minutes ahead in 6 months).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 29 Oct 2016 01:37

Pretty much all of this pastime devoted to turntables and audio in general could be construed as Nerd bate. But some fellas are really into some odd ball esoteric collecting. Like this group of certifiable wacked out vintage washing machine collectors. Bill Geist rooted them out for display on the CBS Sunday Morning show a while back.

I like the drama of spin, one says.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 29 Oct 2016 06:09

rewfew wrote:Pretty much all of this pastime devoted to turntables and audio in general could be construed as Nerd bate. But some fellas are really into some odd ball esoteric collecting. Like this group of certifiable wacked out vintage washing machine collectors. Bill Geist rooted them out for display on the CBS Sunday Morning show a while back.

I like the drama of spin, one says.
Those guys are interesting, but do they have a Spin-Clean? :lol:

Anyway, they remind me of this kid...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vacuum-boy- ... l-passion/

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 29 Oct 2016 18:43

vinyl master wrote:Anyway, they remind me of this kid...
Yup!! I'd speculate for any group of manufactured "thing" out there. Be it paper clips or locomotives, there's probably some wack-a-doodle out there that covet's it's preservation and collection. Bless'em.
P.S. Bill Giest did a piece on vacuum cleaner collectors some years back that met up at motels for a cleaning orgy of the highest moral standards. I've always enjoyed Bill's CBS Mornings pieces. He's kind of frail now, so, it's a joy to see him still revealing all the various kooky class of humans out there.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 29 Oct 2016 20:14

rewfew wrote:
vinyl master wrote:Anyway, they remind me of this kid...
Yup!! I'd speculate for any group of manufactured "thing" out there. Be it paper clips or locomotives, there's probably some wack-a-doodle out there that covet's it's preservation and collection. Bless'em.
P.S. Bill Giest did a piece on vacuum cleaner collectors some years back that met up at motels for a cleaning orgy of the highest moral standards. I've always enjoyed Bill's CBS Mornings pieces. He's kind of frail now, so, it's a joy to see him still revealing all the various kooky class of humans out there.
I've always enjoyed Bill Geist's work...I remember him reporting on a TV station that showed an aquarium full of fish, and they would play some soft jazz in the background...I'm still waiting for a channel like that!

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 30 Oct 2016 14:54

There are some live feeds from aquariums on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceP_zvyM3A4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xh7gfqBL-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyOYBUKxhlA
You might have to supply your own soft jazz.

Cheers,
Alec

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Oct 2016 00:19

Alec124c41 wrote:There are some live feeds from aquariums on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceP_zvyM3A4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xh7gfqBL-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyOYBUKxhlA
You might have to supply your own soft jazz.

Cheers,
Alec
You know what, Alec...I believe I remember where I heard this...It was the Cable Fish Channel mentioned in Bill Geist's 1994 book, "Monster Trucks And Hair In A Can: Who Says America Doesn't Make Anything Anymore"...If you want a humorous read full of quirky ingenuity and uniquely American ideas, that book has got some crazy stuff in it...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Oct 2016 00:21

Come to think of it, owning unusual and rare tropical fish can be a nerdy hobby unto itself!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 31 Oct 2016 10:08

vinyl master wrote:Come to think of it, owning unusual and rare tropical fish can be a nerdy hobby unto itself!
It usually starts at an early age and then after that it's part of you for life! :old-git:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 31 Oct 2016 10:32

One of the hazards of being a nerd.:

I was taking a program in college once and some of my classmates saw that I was getting top marks, mostly because I knew it was important for future employment etc. and seriously applied myself. Not always fun, but a necessary evil at the time. :drawing:

There was one guy in the class who used to sluff-off and just before any exams would latch on to me in the cafeteria and try to learn what he obviously was too "busy" to study on his own time. I didn't mind so much except that he was messing with my own preparedness and his lack of confidence was a bit like a plague!

Eventually and fortunately for me, and probably the only choice they could make in his case, they gave him his walking papers. #-o

He was a nice guy and I did feel a wee,tiny bit bad for him but the class as a whole progressed a lot faster without his negative input. He should have taken my advice and applied himself a bit more but sometimes old habits are hard to break.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 31 Oct 2016 14:32

Tinkaroo wrote:
vinyl master wrote:Come to think of it, owning unusual and rare tropical fish can be a nerdy hobby unto itself!
It usually starts at an early age and then after that it's part of you for life! :old-git:
I started selective breeding of "guppies" - Lebistes Reticulatus - at age fifteen in Buenos Aires until high school graduation and then to college in the US.

I had fifteen aquariums at one point of various sizes in a room I used as a play / study room, fourteen of which I had constructed myself. Ahhh, the good old days of being a Tropical Fish Hobbyist. 8)

Maybe I will timidly pick up that hobby again, with one or two aquariums to begin with. :idea:

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 01 Nov 2016 01:13

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
Tinkaroo wrote:
I started selective breeding of "guppies" - Lebistes Reticulatus - at age fifteen in Buenos Aires until high school graduation and then to college in the US.

I had fifteen aquariums at one point of various sizes in a room I used as a play / study room, fourteen of which I had constructed myself. Ahhh, the good old days of being a Tropical Fish Hobbyist. 8)

Maybe I will timidly pick up that hobby again, with one or two aquariums to begin with. :idea:

Best from the Pampas,
roberto
Did you come up with any new varieties of guppies?

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 01 Nov 2016 15:50

Hola Lazarus!

I'm a River Plate fan here in Argentina - a soccer team. I have attached a copy of the team shirt.

I managed to obtain guppies with all milk white bodies and crimson red tails. Hardly a new variety, but they were very difficult to find here in Buenos Aires with that particular color combination in a pure state. They were lovely indeed 8)

Best from the Pampas,
Roberto
Attachments
river-jpg-143849.jpg
(96.02 KiB) Downloaded 258 times