What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

anything and nothing
RockerFrank
Finland

Re: What Hobby Qualifies You As a Nerd

Post by RockerFrank » 18 Oct 2016 15:15

vinyl master wrote: XBox? Play Station? Turbo Grafx? Sega? Nintendo? Commodore 64? Even Atari???

No, you have to go back MUCH further!
I had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, 48 kb, in '84. I guess those came in '82 because at startup it always stated "© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd". I guess the Texas Instruments computer pre-dates that slightly?

CCC74

Post by CCC74 » 18 Oct 2016 16:35

Tinkaroo wrote:I bought a Canon LCD calculator today which was made in 1979. I also own some earlier LED and VFD types, probably a dozen or so. I really like some of the ones made between 1972-80. The quality of them was a lot better than what is made today and they were technological marvels for their time.
Canon LC-81M.JPG
I also seem to have about eight clock radios including a flip clock.

I think I've established my credentials. :)

What so you collect or what hobby do you do that some might think qualifies you as a nerd?
I remember having a book about games you could play on your calculator. Times were rough when I was young lol. I play and collect a lot of board games. I also am into astronomy. I have no problem being a geek and a nerd.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Oct 2016 01:05

RockerFrank wrote:
vinyl master wrote: XBox? Play Station? Turbo Grafx? Sega? Nintendo? Commodore 64? Even Atari???

No, you have to go back MUCH further!
I had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, 48 kb, in '84. I guess those came in '82 because at startup it always stated "© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd". I guess the Texas Instruments computer pre-dates that slightly?
Yes, RockerFrank...The Texas Instruments TI-99/4 was released in 1979, and it originally cost about $1,150.00. There was a later version that came out in '81, the TI-99/4a, that had better graphics. The Magnavox Odyssey 2 was released in Europe in 1978 as the Philips Videopac G7000, and introduced as the Odyssey 2 here a year later. It would have cost about $179.00 brand new, which is equal to about $650.00 in today's money! There were even some games that only appeared in Europe. It was the third most popular console of 1979, next to the Atari 2600 (#1) and Mattel Intellivision (#2). At one point, I even had a 1984 Apple Macintosh, which was a "loan" from my uncle in the early 90's. It originally would have cost a whopping $2,495.00 back in '84 and it had 128k, later upgraded to 512k...

Now, tell me, is that NERDY enough for you??? :-k

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 19 Oct 2016 05:52

After my first store-bought Windows 98 computer was nothing but problems, I developed a little hobby assembling and setting up my own computers, or making the ones too slow to use anymore into MP3 jukeboxes, etc. I lost interest after about the time windows 8 came out, connectors & expansion slots changed, and support was discontinued for XP. I also still have a few of those calculators from my younger days packed away somewhere.
I seem to jump from one hobby to the next, Seems just over a year ago, I got to thinking about fixing up some of my 4 remaining tube radios, now I'm a frequent AM dx listener who just counted 27 tube radios to care for, and a couple spare parts chassis.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 19 Oct 2016 06:10

The only TI I've got is the CC40. And I've got no real Sinclair, just a somewhat improved clone.

Tink: Over here the pouplar thing to write on the pocket calculator display was 7353, which turned around would read "ESEL" (= donkey).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 19 Oct 2016 11:04

lini wrote:The only TI I've got is the CC40. And I've got no real Sinclair, just a somewhat improved clone.

Tink: Over here the pouplar thing to write on the pocket calculator display was 7353, which turned around would read "ESEL" (= donkey).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Yes, kids of all ages used to have fun spelling out words such as 5318008 in class to make their friends laugh and get kicked out of class. :lol:

There is an article on it here which also references the Hollies album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculator_spelling

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Oct 2016 11:48

Calculator spelling, eh, Tink? Now THAT'S nerdy!! :wink:

And I think I have just the song for you...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 19 Oct 2016 12:25

vinyl master wrote:Calculator spelling, eh, Tink? Now THAT'S nerdy!! :wink:

And I think I have just the song for you...

The only album I have by them is Exceller 8. My uncle had the Trans European Express album which introduced me to them. Autobahn is great for checking out speakers.

What got me started on collecting calculators was finding a Commodore scientific calculator with green VFD display for 2 bucks at a yard sale.When I was young such a calculator would have been out of reach, and we had trouble getting enough for a cheap basic calculator.Plus I used to use a metric conversion calculator every day at work, and reference books of scientific conversions too where needed.

Some of these vintage ones are just fun to play with. It is like that tactile feeling that vinyl records have as opposed to the digital listening experience.

I don't think being a nerd is a handicap in the information age.

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 19 Oct 2016 13:28

Tinkaroo wrote:Yes, kids of all ages used to have fun spelling out words such as 5318008 in class to make their friends laugh and get kicked out of class. :lol:

There is an article on it here which also references the Hollies album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculator_spelling
The article didn't have any Finnish words, so I added the ones I remember from school.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 19 Oct 2016 13:55

Tinkaroo wrote:
I don't think being a nerd is a handicap in the information age.
Indeed! As a matter of fact, I believe it was Bill Gates in a graduation speech he gave that said the following:

"Be kind to nerds: One of them will probably be your boss in the future". :lol:

I'm proud to be a nerd! I've been called one since fourteen when I played games with my Texas Instruments TI-30 red led calculator. I still have it and I'm sure that if I plug in a 9 volt battery it will fire right up!

Besides, and please no one take offense here, this turntable hobby (obsession?) of ours qualifies us for being in the nerd camp IMO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 19 Oct 2016 15:25

My Commodore Vic-20 is still downstairs, all tricked out with extra memory cartridge, for the entire 27k it was capable of using. I typed in my first word processing and spreadsheet programs, each a whopping 30k of machine code.
It was hugely faster than the little Sinclair 1000, which I picked up at a yard sale.

Cheers,
Alec

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 19 Oct 2016 17:07

Alec124c41 wrote:My Commodore Vic-20 is still downstairs, all tricked out with extra memory cartridge, for the entire 27k it was capable of using. I typed in my first word processing and spreadsheet programs, each a whopping 30k of machine code.
It was hugely faster than the little Sinclair 1000, which I picked up at a yard sale.

Cheers,
Alec
I remember at my workplace they had a community calculator that used nixie tubes. It was a very long time until we got our own hand held calculators, but I guess they had to be cheap enough to justify them "splurging" on us plebes. The fact that we had to leave our work area to go do calculations at the community calculator didn't compute with the bean counters! #-o

Eventually we got a community Vic-20 computer and then graduated to the big time with the Commodore 64,both hooked up to a standard 12" black and white TV. Fun times. [-X

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 19 Oct 2016 23:58

I think the dot matrix printer might still be down there.
I did upgrade to a Commodore 128, with floppy drive. Hot stuff!

Cheers,
Alec

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 20 Oct 2016 01:31

Alec124c41 wrote:I think the dot matrix printer might still be down there.
I did upgrade to a Commodore 128, with floppy drive. Hot stuff!

Cheers,
Alec
I used to have a dot matrix printer too, and the pages with the holes along the side to help feed it through the printer. Such lovely memories of the brrrpp sound as it did its printing thing! :shock:

Later came the computer with the massive 1GB hard drive. Nobody could possibly need any more storage than that! =D> Time to click on the dial up connection.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 20 Oct 2016 01:38

Roberto C2H3 wrote: I've been called one since fourteen when I played games with my Texas Instruments TI-30 red led calculator.
I had a TI-30 in high school. Very handy large cavity behind the battery for storing things :mrgreen:

My first computer was an Osborne, but I have liquidated all my stuff when we downsized. Now I am happily choking on audio gear :-)