INSTEAD of listening?

anything and nothing
bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Re: INSTEAD of listening?

Post by bauzace50 » 25 Feb 2014 15:20

jc_the_trucker,
for leisurely alternate unwinding that is a tough act to follow.
b50

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 25 Feb 2014 16:03

Before you completely write of fixed wing flying, go do an aerobatic flight
I nearly got all the way to a glider licence. An acrobatic session with my instructor showed me what you can achieve with no power and really blew my mind like nothing else I can recall. Sheer adrenalin inducing. The guy was 72 at the time (back in the 80's) and according to him, 'been flying gliders since they were invented'.

Driving ships is the nearest I get now and no acrobatics possible what I know of.

jc_the_trucker

Post by jc_the_trucker » 25 Feb 2014 17:43

Finger Painter wrote:
Before you completely write of fixed wing flying, go do an aerobatic flight
I nearly got all the way to a glider licence. An acrobatic session with my instructor showed me what you can achieve with no power and really blew my mind like nothing else I can recall. Sheer adrenalin inducing. The guy was 72 at the time (back in the 80's) and according to him, 'been flying gliders since they were invented'.

Driving ships is the nearest I get now and no acrobatics possible what I know of.
Not much acrobatics with a 53 foot trailer behind you either! Although some of the tighter dock doors can make it seem like you're doing truck yoga or something. I sometimes envy doubles drivers with their tighter turning radius, but it's always about that time that I see one turned over in a ditch.

The one thing I learned though is that you shouldn't make a career out of you're favorite hobby. Once it becomes work, it's not nearly as much fun. I used to enjoy road trips, now I won't drive more than 10 miles if I'm not getting paid. Glad I didn't pursue an aviation career.

w_axlrose1
England

Post by w_axlrose1 » 25 Feb 2014 18:59

When I'm not listening?

Sleeping.

Seriously, though I'm listening to music nearly all the time. As a musician it's pretty much my life. Quite often I enjoy going off for walks in the woodland in Kent. It's so nice to to get away from all of the noise but even in the peace and quiet I find song ideas floating around in my head.

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 25 Feb 2014 20:58

vinylmaster, what you need is a ambuquad:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/buckrogers.jpg

twiki always had the best lines...

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 26 Feb 2014 05:33

Finger Painter wrote:
And you really don't want to try!

Cheers,
Alec

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 26 Feb 2014 05:39

jc_the_trucker wrote:
The one thing I learned though is that you shouldn't make a career out of you're favorite hobby. Once it becomes work, it's not nearly as much fun. I used to enjoy road trips, now I won't drive more than 10 miles if I'm not getting paid. Glad I didn't pursue an aviation career.
Amen to that!
I have been out of the photography business long enough to start just having fun with it, again.

Cheers,
Alec

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 26 Feb 2014 06:43

Yes,
When one activity starts to feel like a chore it's not a hobby any more.
I never tire of mounting a cartridge on the tonearm. But the removable headshell and sliding tonearm base contribute directly to that enjoyment (as in the SME 309).

I no longer enjoy moving a cartridge around a fixed headshell for alignment.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Feb 2014 07:13

lensmanMK2 wrote:vinylmaster, what you need is a ambuquad:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/buckrogers.jpg

twiki always had the best lines...
Ah...Good Ol' Buck Rogers!! Got the DVD set of that one, too!! I miss that. I think I NEED an ambuquad! And twiki did have the best lines! I think there was one episode where Buck wanted to hear some music from his own time, and they made it appear out of thin air...Imagine that! I somehow feel that if my future doesn't include vinyl of some sort, though, despite the inconvenience and the difficulty of vinyl, then it's going to be quite the bummer! Could you imagine one day utilizing some voice-recognition technology where you could say "Play CCR", and a woman's voice would ask you, "Which album?", and then give you a list to choose from. This technology wouldn't just be in your car, but in your house, on your phone, through your Google glasses or smartwatch. Maybe even a chip in your brain! If I asked her to "Play Pure Jade Green's 45' of "Boot-Leg", she wouldn't know what I was talking about. Remember, just because music is easier doesn't always mean it's better! Which is why technology can suck, vinyl rules, and my imagination is way over-the-top! :lol:

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 28 Feb 2014 03:21

well VM without an imagination youre truly brain dead,so youve got no worries there.

plus without imagination we wouldnt even have vinyl in the first place.

invention needs people who can think "out of the box",if not we wouldnt even have any space program (amongst other things)!

juha_j

Post by juha_j » 16 Mar 2014 20:45

Today, instead of listening I renew my computer corner. Also playing with 2yrs+ son is good change for listening. And finishing yard and garage interior. Photographing is also relaxing, but lately vinyl has got all available free time.

http://www.anvianet.fi/hitac/nurkka/ennen.jpg
http://www.anvianet.fi/hitac/nurkka/jalkeen.jpg

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Mar 2014 22:50

juha_j wrote:Today, instead of listening I renew my computer corner. Also playing with 2yrs+ son is good change for listening. And finishing yard and garage interior. Photographing is also relaxing, but lately vinyl has got all available free time.

http://www.anvianet.fi/hitac/nurkka/ennen.jpg
http://www.anvianet.fi/hitac/nurkka/jalkeen.jpg
Maybe one day your son might appreciate music the way you do. That would be cool! 8) If you think of how many kids got into vinyl, after searching their own parents' record collections, it would probably be a staggering number!!

pogo
long player
long player

Post by pogo » 18 Mar 2014 00:47

bauzace50 wrote:Hi,
What do you prefer to do when choosing your alternative to listening?
bauzace50
Lately it seems to be whatever the missus wants me to do. OTOH, I'd rather complain about her than to not have her. :D

Squiffything

Post by Squiffything » 18 Mar 2014 08:56

My passion is to get down the shed and build something to add to my turntable/stereo setup. Mostly it is out of stuff I have lying around (the budget is never there to buy the good stuff) but that in itself brings its own rewards. However like most if I'm tinkering there will be music playing of some sort be it a CD, MP3's from the phone or the radio.

NaturalBritain

Post by NaturalBritain » 19 Mar 2014 19:35

I'm a runner, so a lot of my time is spent training. I rarely (once every two to three months) run with headphones as I prefer to hear birdsong etc - I run trails rather than roads so there's always scenery to look at, wildlife to spot etc.

I also love reading as well - anything and everything, although I tend to concentrate a lot more on non-fiction.

Like Alec I also used to have a photography business... unlike Alec I still haven't got over it, so I rarely do that anymore...

Basically I just loving being outdoors, so running, walking, cycling (road and mountain bike). My girlfriend bought me a slackline for my birthday so I had my first go on that at the weekend (and I'm going to need a LOT more goes before I try it in public!)