Dutchy

Re: INSTEAD of listening?

Post by Dutchy » 09 Feb 2017 13:57

"did" the Guzzi thing when I lived and worked in Scotland

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n206 ... en0053.jpg

Ok, one more then...

"Facing down that pesky red Ducati.." :lol:
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n206 ... wizpbn.jpg

But, at the end of the day I HAVE to admit that Ducati's GP16 engine is one hell of a machine (and Randy Mamola a brave man to take me with him for a lap...)
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n206 ... 3susvn.jpg

Rotterdam 010

Post by Rotterdam 010 » 12 Feb 2017 17:05

Dutchy wrote: But, at the end of the day I HAVE to admit that Ducati's GP16 engine is one hell of a machine (and Randy Mamola a brave man to take me with him for a lap...)
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n206 ... 3susvn.jpg
=D> =D> =D>

Porwet

Post by Porwet » 19 Apr 2017 15:16

Morning jogging and baking cupcakes 8)

RedRock

Post by RedRock » 01 Aug 2017 20:35

I like to do a bit of this.... (hope the link works!!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8E10W ... sp=sharing

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 31 Aug 2017 11:18

This morning I waded through 16 pages of all of your hobbies and work. It is really amazing what you are all doing besides vinyl music. I have the feeling to go into all those nice things you are doing, but that alone would take a lifetime. So let me just say I went through all the postings with interest. Some of which got more of my attention than others, simply because sometimes I have the feeling the 'fields' are touching mine.....

I will now let you into mine.....have to tell you this first though:

I used to be teaching the highest forms (11 to 14 year old) in a primary school in Amsterdam. Most of those kids are from non-original parents, and have their 'own' rules. Still,I had my own ways of dealing and explaining certain things they did not understand from the books. This proved succesfull, but my director however did not agree, and finally I was fired. I made it a courtcase without a lawyer, and won. The counsil has to pay me my salary untill my pension.

Yes, you read this well. This started when I was 51, and I am 61 now. The coin always has two sides though, so financially I am 'on a bed of roses', but on the other hand, you, the tax-payers, are paying my salary.

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 31 Aug 2017 11:35

While I was still working I always had a big hobby, which is now my prefession, after I quit work.
I restore and collect car models. My main interest is Corgi Toys from 1956 (when the first one was produced)to 1970. It started with the models my parents gave me when I was young. I kept most of them, and hardly have any factory-originals. Besides restoring plain models I create one of a kind, never produced models. When doing this I start from scrap and take pictures of the complete process. I sell a lot and people from all over come with oldies from their fathers I have to restore.
Here's an example.

This is originally an ambulance, Corgi nr 437. I transferred into a Beatles mobile, in the 1964 style, and to be more specific, when they gave their only two concerts ever in Holland, June 6, 1964, in the village of Blokker.Correct outifts and hairstyle, also the guitars. Figures and guitars made of resin and wood, drums of paperclips, curtain rollers and throwaway stuff. The stage goes up and down by rotating the spare wheel.
Attachments
b1.jpg
(113.55 KiB) Downloaded 1311 times
a5-1.jpg
(16.42 KiB) Downloaded 1315 times
b4.jpg
(33.44 KiB) Downloaded 1314 times
g10.jpg
(97.22 KiB) Downloaded 1315 times
i2.jpg
(59.26 KiB) Downloaded 1312 times

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 31 Aug 2017 11:59

Besides modelmaking I am the historian of a nearby school-museum, called 'het schooltje van Dik Trom' (you can google it). I wrote a book about the period it was a school (1882-1939), and tell visitors the story. Now you know why I choose my avatar like that. I have a lot of contacts with people whose forefathers attended or worked at that school,and keep a file of all children involved.

Further I play volleyball in a team, and I am also a referee. I do research on the killing of JFK, do gardening, and have my own fruit and vegetables. Because we live in a district with a lot of farming and gardening, I take a lot of fruit to the elderly people here. In return I get stories from them which I collect for our historic movement. Also I place and take away alarmsystems with the mainly elderly people (they have a small cord with transmitter around the neck).
Also I do the repaircafe here. People come with all sorts of broken things, and sometimes they can be repaired. This is great fun, also because it is in the home for elderly people.

I have a Harley Ultra Glide, which I bought on the day I quit my job (ha ha), and we have a Mustang V8. Further I have this High Wheeler.

I also love to watch films, but hardly have the time to watch. I love thrillers, westerns, have the complete Rawhide collection (and of course Frankie Laine on vinyl), Bond movies and most Hitchcocks.

I also have a wife who luckily has a lot of hobbies as well. Sometimes we see each other. We alos have two cats, always screaming for food.

I don't actually have the time to write all this......
Attachments
new wheel1.jpg
(234.22 KiB) Downloaded 1315 times
13-1.jpg
(96.63 KiB) Downloaded 1322 times

RedRock

Post by RedRock » 31 Aug 2017 21:51

That is one cool looking Penny farthing you've got. Dressed in style as well.

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 31 Aug 2017 22:20

Thanks RedRock. I sandblasted and resprayed the frame, designed the steering and had it made by our local blacksmith, and added some nice detailing. You can only do small rides on it, because your arms get painful after a while. Bear in mind the tyres are solid, and there is no suspension at all. Here some details.
Attachments
a6.jpg
(154.74 KiB) Downloaded 1301 times
a30.jpg
(204.96 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 01 Sep 2017 10:12

Keesie25 wrote: I also love to watch films, but hardly have the time to watch. I love thrillers, westerns, have the complete Rawhide collection (and of course Frankie Laine on vinyl), Bond movies and most Hitchcocks.
I can relate to this since I also have the Rawhide collection as well as a lot of Hitchcock and Bond films. I'm a big fan of westerns including the spaghetti variety, film noir and classic cinema.

I have to say that you are a very brave man to ride that bike around, but on the plus side the view must be amazing.

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 01 Sep 2017 10:26

Thanks Tinkaroo. I have the Frankie Lane Rawhide tune on single, but always wondered, the vinyl version I have comes whithout the cows and whips, while in the series they are and sound even better. I just could never find that version on Vinyl.

Everybody in my village is warned when I get on that high wheeler. When I'm in the saddle I feel like a sort of Gil Favor on his horse: 'hid them up, move them out...'

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 01 Sep 2017 10:35

Keesie25 wrote:Thanks Tinkaroo. I have the Frankie Lane Rawhide tune on single, but always wondered, the vinyl version I have comes whithout the cows and whips, while in the series they are and sound even better. I just could never find that version on Vinyl.

Everybody in my village is warned when I get on that high wheeler. When I'm in the saddle I feel like a sort of Gil Favor on his horse: 'hid them up, move them out...'
It was too bad that Eric Fleming who played Gil Favor died so young while filming a movie.

Perhaps Vinylmaster has come across the version of Rawhide you are looking for?

I saw on American Pickers where the buyer found a similar unrestored bike and paid a pretty penny for it considering the condition. He actually got on it and rode it on the road in that episode. I'm sure you would draw a good deal of enthusiastic onlookers! 8)

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 01 Sep 2017 10:55

I remember I saw a small story in the papers that Eric Fleming died. I found that wierd, because he was still in Rawhide with us (we were behind schedule compared to the US).

The history of those high wheelers is quite short but interesting. By head: (someone correct me if I'm wrong)Around 1870 inventors started, and blacksmiths constructed hollow metal bikes instead of heavy wooden ones. The idea was: the bigger the wheel,the faster you go. This is only partly true, because for one wheel rotation you needed more energy. Besides, the bigger, the more dangerous. In between all sort of bike-variations appeared. When the primary chain and air-tyres (Dunlop) were invented, a bike like we know it now was constructed, called 'the safety', in contrast with 'the ordinary', or high wheeler. This was around 1880. Around 1885 all high wheelers were gone.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Sep 2017 09:39

It's interesting that you all bring up Frankie Laine...I actually had a few e-mail conversations with the man before he died...From all accounts, he seemed like a very nice man...I had a few questions about some of his records ("Hell Bent For Leather" is still a favorite!) and he knew all the details. I was also encouraging him to take part in the great PBS specials they were doing of 50's music...Next thing I know, THIS happened...

Frankie proved to the world that you can rock, even into your 90's! 8)

R.I.P. Frankie...You were one of the greats, and will be truly missed!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 02 Sep 2017 18:45

That was pretty cool V-M! 8)

My father had some Frankie Laine LPs when I was a kid.