anything and nothing
goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Re: INSTEAD of listening?

Post by goatbreath » 23 Feb 2014 08:14

I get up to nothing that is dangerous to my hearing in any way :lol:

I use earplugs in the practice room,,but I sometimes gig without them..
I actually need a half stack to keep up with the last 3 drummers I have played with..

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 23 Feb 2014 13:27

for me half the time its trying to keep my cars on the road (and taxed.. thank you UK gov for abolishing the classic car tax loophole)

also restoring old arcade+pinball machines,diy on the house (never ends) and like JC trying to get my commerical pilots license when cash allows,you rotorcraft or fixed wing JC?

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 23 Feb 2014 14:32

My "compadre" has two 1967 FORD Fairlane, and one 1950 Ford 2-door with the classic Flathead V-8 engine. Anything apart from maintaining them functional is a distraction from life.

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 23 Feb 2014 15:00

... and I like watching Canada win the Gold Medal in hockey at the Olympics!!

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 23 Feb 2014 17:13

ginniegatrit wrote:... and I like watching Canada win the Gold Medal in hockey at the Olympics!!
Make that Gold Medals! :)

Cheers,
Alec

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 23 Feb 2014 17:28

Ah, yes. And add a Lager Medal to that (we have a local beer called "Medalla").
b50

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 23 Feb 2014 18:42

bauzace50 wrote:My "compadre" has two 1967 FORD Fairlane, and one 1950 Ford 2-door with the classic Flathead V-8 engine. Anything apart from maintaining them functional is a distraction from life.
does get you down sometimes! still at least theres no electronics to worry about

jc_the_trucker

Post by jc_the_trucker » 23 Feb 2014 19:37

lensmanMK2 wrote:for me half the time its trying to keep my cars on the road (and taxed.. thank you UK gov for abolishing the classic car tax loophole)

also restoring old arcade+pinball machines,diy on the house (never ends) and like JC trying to get my commerical pilots license when cash allows,you rotorcraft or fixed wing JC?
Fixed. I have a private license for airplane single engine land, and complex airplane and conventional landing gear endorsements. About 200 logged hours, most of it PIC, about half solo, 50 hours or so of simulated instrument and 3 hours actual. I've flown the venerable C172 (s, p, sp, and rg), various versions of the Piper Warrior (one with a glass cockpit), and an American Champion Citabria.

MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

Post by MonkeyBoy » 23 Feb 2014 23:44

There are so many things besides music that even if I were retired I would never run out of things to do. Biking, museums, reading, wines and food, sex, etc, etc. life is just too full of things to do. :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Feb 2014 01:32

MonkeyBoy wrote:There are so many things besides music that even if I were retired I would never run out of things to do. Biking, museums, reading, wines and food, sex, etc, etc. life is just too full of things to do. :D
Yes, but who has time to do all the things they want to do? Or here's one to mull your brain around...How do you get to do the things you WANT to do, without letting the things you HAVE to do get in your way? Can the things you HAVE to do be ever minimized enough, so you can truly ENJOY the things you WANT to do? Or is that an impossible dream? To paraphrase C+C Music Factory, it's one of those "things that make you go hmmm..." :-k :-k :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Feb 2014 01:53

I just thought of something...when not playing records, what about CLEANING them? A collection like mine is NOT an easy task! A crazy thought, but here goes...I wish I could pay someone just to come in and CLEAN my collection. But, it would take time. Someone would have to spend hours cleaning records every day, and I wonder if I would get so anal about the process that I would decide to just clean them myself after all...Collectors are like that, but I wonder if any of you guys have ever had that same thought? What I need is a robot that professionally cleans records. It would have to have sophisticated motorized digits and lifelike hands, and would have to wear cotton gloves. I could program it to use the RCM carefully, the brushes, and whatnot. With all that free time I'd gain, I could go on all the trips I want, and my identical clone (I'd have one of those, too...) could work and slave all of his life, in order to pay for MY trips to paradise. He'd HAVE to work all the time, too, because things would get pretty expensive! Sounds like a very bizarre movie, don't you think? Alas, there is only ONE me... :cry: And if all the movies are right, I suspect that anything involving clones of people would probably go terribly wrong eventually...Oh, well... :roll:

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 24 Feb 2014 03:54

That is quite an imagination!

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 24 Feb 2014 17:44

jc_the_trucker wrote: Fixed. I have a private license for airplane single engine land, and complex airplane and conventional landing gear endorsements. About 200 logged hours, most of it PIC, about half solo, 50 hours or so of simulated instrument and 3 hours actual. I've flown the venerable C172 (s, p, sp, and rg), various versions of the Piper Warrior (one with a glass cockpit), and an American Champion Citabria.
that must have cost you a bomb..im rotorcraft (only in r22+r44) about 90hrs in so far,the r22's like flying a mosquito as its so small and agile.

got a grand total of 10hrs fixed wing before i realized it wasnt for me.that was in a 172 that looked about as old as me,with original wallnut dash and a cigarette lighter.. still havent seen one with a glass cockpit!

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 24 Feb 2014 21:10

Ah haaa,
"Give me a song and a plane". (Ace Drummond)

jc_the_trucker

Post by jc_the_trucker » 24 Feb 2014 21:54

lensmanMK2 wrote:that must have cost you a bomb..im rotorcraft (only in r22+r44) about 90hrs in so far,the r22's like flying a mosquito as its so small and agile.

got a grand total of 10hrs fixed wing before i realized it wasnt for me.that was in a 172 that looked about as old as me,with original wallnut dash and a cigarette lighter.. still havent seen one with a glass cockpit!
Very cool! I'd like to get some time in whirlies one day. But the only flight school near me that offers it wants about $500 an hour to rent an R22 last I checked. About twice what it costs me to rent the 172RG.

I stopped keeping track of how much it cost a long time ago, at about the $5000 mark. A lot of that was done as part of my 2 years in college, so student loans were used. I'm almost finished paying them off. If I had a spare $15000 I could take a couple of weeks off work and be done, but that's a long way off.

Before you completely write of fixed wing flying, go do an aerobatic flight in a Citabria or Decathalon. Can't beat fabric wings, stick and rudder, and a very busy 125 hp motor for a good time! Parachutes required.