The X Files (merged cable topic)

anything and nothing
derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: The X Files (merged cable topic)

Post by derspankster » 06 Jan 2019 14:35

I've used 12 ga. copper zip cord for years. I haven't heard anything else that has given me the itch to spend mega bucks.

I'm also aware that there are some that disagree. That's fine, it's their money, they can spend it as they wish.

der

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 06 Jan 2019 20:03

No one has ever put up their kahuna's to meet the Amazing Randi challenge. The farce with Pearl Cable, Michael Fremer gives pause to the whitewash they come up with to save face with the fact they won't put up or shut up. They'd rather keep the pot simmering that they were just the victim. The challenge still stands and is available to anyone that believe's in the audio fairy's promise a million bucks can't seem to sway. Randi's comments: http://archive.randi.org/site/index.php ... lenge.html
The moderator is correct. Take your belief system in cables elsewhere, as listed, where it can be discussed and compared for their unanimous hearts content. It's too contentious to have to deal with on a all too regular basis here.

addicted-to-analog
United States of America

Post by addicted-to-analog » 07 Jan 2019 00:39

rewfew wrote:
06 Jan 2019 20:03
The moderator is correct. Take your belief system in cables elsewhere, as listed, where it can be discussed and compared for their unanimous hearts content. It's too contentious to have to deal with on a all too regular basis here.
So agree with you or get lost? Interesting.

Two things:

1. Have you actually read my posts on wire and cable? Yes, I hear differences between different wire and cables. No, the expensive stuff did NOT stick around. My reference wire and cables is very reasonably priced and I made my selections sighted - no DBT/ABX listening test required.

2. You reference an admonition from a moderator to "Take your belief system in cables elsewhere, as listed, where it can be discussed and compared for their unanimous hearts content". Please point me toward this rule as I certainly do not want to break any site rules.

The contention that I see on these threads begins whenever anyone wants to discuss sonic differences in wire and cables. As I stated earlier, the same group of folks descend on the poster and thread and blow things up to the point where discussion is no longer an option.

What are you guys afraid of? That some folks actually listen, evaluate and make up their own minds?

To @JaS - Thank you for everything you do to keep VE available as the wonderful resource it is. I respect your rules here at VE. If I missed the rule that precludes any answer or discussion of wire and cables unless one supports the "no differences, it's all snake oil" position, please let me know and I will comply moving forward. Thank you.

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 07 Jan 2019 11:59

As this topic has had over 1700+ posts here is a quick recap for anyone who's just found the thread:

RogeRReddit (145) - I can hear cables so the MYTH that cables all sound the same is finally BLOWN. Discuss.

JohnSmith994 (1) - I can't :)

RogeRReddit (145) - You can't hear or you cant REPLY? I've heard it with my own ears and my friend Gordon heard it too, EVEN after I tied him to a chair in another room and wrapped a WET towel around his head!

BR2003BR (788) - I also can't and neither can my 3 legged dog Charles :smoking:

RogeRReddit (145) - I have a PHD in the molecular structure of plastic bags AND a $50K system so I think I know when I'm RIGHT! Listen 4 YOURSELF and pay no attention to the haters #STOP THE HATE

VoiceofResin (banned) - I agree, I can hear cables and my system only cost $29.99. I always recommend Monster TM cables to family and friends. LINK REMOVED

Charles de Gaulle (9) - Le lecteur de disque Thorens TD150 ne revient pas à la fin de la lecture du disque. Quel est le problème?

Plastic Bag Salesman (3) - I can't hear a difference but peace bro, whatever floats UR boat. PS small world, I'm a retired plastic bag salesman looking for the best place to buy hearing aid batteries.

FloydOnFire (3566) - Which cables sound best with DSOTM? I have the Japanese Orchard gatefold and the MOFIG audiophile release on 3D printed recycled vinyl, but none have the presence of the 1982 butcher's dog misprint label. The oft praised 1978 Doug Wimbish engineered version had....(post truncated due to 10K word post limit)

RogeRReddit (145) - Why do the HATERS always have to join these threads? This thread is for TRUTH seekers only, not tone deaf dumpster divers :evil: How many of you have actually listened to a $5000/foot speaker cable or a solid silver power cable covered in hand woven Chinese silk? #STOP THE HATE

VoiceofResin (banned) - Ignore the haters, my Crosley sounds amazing with Monster TM speaker cable, available here LINK REMOVED for just $4.99 a foot, with a 10% discount if you enter the code MONSTER TM DISCOUNT 2019

1111Cheeze (6) - Subscribed to this Topic

CrazyGoat (450) - Hey Plastic Bag Salesman. are you the same guy who sold me a plastic bag in Rocheport, Missouri in 1986? Small world! PM me and we can exchange numbers.

Plastic Bag Salesman (3) - That's me! I started in paper bags back in '73 but plastic bags are my my heart is :lol:

RogeRReddit (145) - CrazyGoat + Plastic Bag Salesman, stop hijacking threads! Where R the MODERATORS when U need them? Who is IN CHARGE here? #STOP THE HATE

Continues for 10+ years...

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 07 Jan 2019 12:28

Come on JaS, now you're just making fun of a very serious topic! #STOP THE FUN

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 07 Jan 2019 12:41

Japi Roelofs wrote:
07 Jan 2019 12:28
This is serious I have audiophile coat hangers for interconnects very serious stuff :D
Chris

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 07 Jan 2019 13:00

Japi Roelofs wrote:
07 Jan 2019 12:28
Oops did I misjudge the mood :shock: #CABLEGATE

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 07 Jan 2019 15:51

Whether or not 2 sets of cables can sound different, there is no way that a couple of meters of wire should cost thousands of dollars.
And a 12 inch circle of leather should not cost $500, no matter whose name is stamped on it.

Cheers,
Alec

addicted-to-analog
United States of America

Post by addicted-to-analog » 07 Jan 2019 15:56

Alec124c41 wrote:
07 Jan 2019 15:51
Whether or not 2 sets of cables can sound different, there is no way that a couple of meters of wire should cost thousands of dollars.
On this point we agree. :)

addicted-to-analog
United States of America

Post by addicted-to-analog » 07 Jan 2019 15:57

cafe latte wrote:
07 Jan 2019 12:41
I have audiophile coat hangers for interconnects very serious stuff :D
Chris
Well there's your problem. ;)

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 07 Jan 2019 18:10

addicted-to-analog wrote:
07 Jan 2019 00:39
So agree with you or get lost? Interesting.
No. But for this subject, it's best to take the discussion and all the baggage associated with it somewhere else more amenable as per the reasonable request of the moderator, (as you noticed). But don't go away with it mad. Chalk it up to a tie game and your reasoning and principals are safe. As long as some other pointless discussion's about this subject is brought up again like a dog chasing it's tail. Your right though.. I haven't read your post's about wire and cable.
The Amazing Randi no longer offers the one million dollar challenge, he's old and retired to Florida now I read. It's noteworthy that a magician created this challenge to any and all purveyor's of all pseudo science's. And I misspelled them. They were Pear cable's not Pearl. A pear before swine some may say.

poutrew

Post by poutrew » 07 Jan 2019 21:59

At this point I feel an irrational need to add to the fray: I can hear the differences in sounds cables make just by putting the wire close to my ears and listening. Even if they are not hooked up to anything. Zip cord makes a pleasing whoosh...whoosh sound somewhat akin to ocean waves on a calm day. Monster cable makes a sound like a tsunami coming on shore. A pair of $17,500/ foot twisted gold - platinum pair makes a high pitched sound kinda like what my wife makes when she sees a mouse. A fried Twinkie makes a snappy crackle sound - oh sorry, I just ate a fried Twinkie and got confused... overall, I like zip cord the best... :)

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 08 Jan 2019 00:08

addicted-to-analog wrote:
07 Jan 2019 15:57
cafe latte wrote:
07 Jan 2019 12:41
I have audiophile coat hangers for interconnects very serious stuff :D
Chris
Well there's your problem. ;)
The coat hangers though were not just any old hangers they were from the best labels, I got them from the Gucci summer collection to try to impart that open warmer sound (it gets quite warm in the listening room when they touch each other :electric: )
Chris

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 08 Jan 2019 00:38

Do you hang your coat hangers from little trellis? Must not touch the ground. Too much magnetism emanating from the earth's core for that!

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 08 Jan 2019 05:06

derspankster wrote:
08 Jan 2019 00:38
Do you hang your coat hangers from little trellis? Must not touch the ground. Too much magnetism emanating from the earth's core for that!
Good point Der, that should be my next upgrade, got to watch that magnetism :D
Chris