Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

The X Files (merged cable topic)

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 19 May 2008 13:43

padego

Post by padego » 19 May 2008 18:26

I find the whole audio cable industry somewhat suspect, I'm sure if the same standards were held against the many megabuck speaker cord dealers the s*#t would hit the fan.

Brian C.

Post by Brian C. » 20 May 2008 10:27

Yep, FUD. Works every time. Loooong history.

Brian.

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Russ Andrews

Post by Blue Angel » 20 May 2008 14:41

Hi

I obviously don't know the bloke from Adam and he's not the only one that's been obfuscating the cable thing. It seems it was just the wrong time and wrong customer which caused the embarrassing bagatelle. I do have a bit of sympathy though. He just did what almost every other cable hawker seems to do.

Kind of like dogs p#ssing on your front lawn and the 27th one doing so gets a marble up his @rse from the homeowner's catapult :shock:

Hi BrianC, b50 & Mr Pads :lol:

blue

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 20 May 2008 16:49

Hi,
everything is better when falsities are debunked, and myths are substituted with truth.
Cheers, bauzace50

Abandonflip
long player
long player

Post by Abandonflip » 20 May 2008 18:56

I just love reading James Randi's thoughts on Pear Anjou cables and Michael Fremer's endorsement of them.

The whole saga can be found at http://www.randi.org, but you'll need to trawl back through the SWIFT section from the middle of last year to get a flavour for the debate.

Here's a taster:
MORE CABLE NONSENSE
Several readers alerted us to yet another hilarious and preposterous situation in the “audiophile” business, which we have referred to frequently simply because if some of their claims were true, they would be paranormal. Here’s another such.

Monster Cable – a company that turns out a fine line of products, but not untinged with the woo-woo flavor, sells a set of $80 HDMI [High Definition Multimedia Interface] cables, designed to handle new signals brought about by the advent of High Definition TV. I thought that was a heavy price to be asking – no, I didn’t invest! – but now we see that the Pear Cable company is advertising a pair of 12-foot “Anjou” audio cables for $7,250; that’s $302 a foot! And, as expected, “experts” were approached for their opinions on the performance of these wonders. Excerpts:

…way better than anything I have heard…Simply put these are very danceable cables. Music playing through them results in the proverbial foot-tapping scene with the need or desire to get up and move. Great swing and pace – these cables smack that right on the nose big time.

…simply way better than anything I have heard prior to their audition.

Well, we at the JREF are willing to be shown that these “no-compromise” cables perform better than, say, the equivalent Monster cables. While Pear rattles on about “capacitance,” “inductance,” “skin effect,” “mechanical integrity” and “radio frequency interface,” – all real qualities and concerns, and adored by the hi-fi nut-cases – we naively believe that a product should be judged by its actual performance, not by qualities that can only be perceived by attentive dogs or by hi-tech instrumentation. That said, we offer the JREF million-dollar prize to – for example – Dave Clark, Editor of the audio review publication Positive Feedback Online, who provided the above rave review. If Mr. Clark should choose to apply for the prize, he would be unlike John Atkinson of Stereophile Magazine – see randi.org/jr/121004science.html#11 – who made great noises about being ready to snap up the million, then got distracted by things such as gullible readers who accepted his claimed abilities, and backed out. But we’ll see…

bena

Post by bena » 20 May 2008 23:10

A quick tale from many moons ago:

I used to work for a well known Hi Fi chain.
One day, Russ Andrews himself happened to walk in with a bag of samples he wanted the shop to try out, he'd be back a few weeks later to see what we thought.

They did a bit of testing, some liked, some didn't, some couldn't tell the difference. My boss at the shop decided he wasn't convinced about some of the stuff and had better plans for it...

Anyway, as promised, Russ comes back into the shop to hear the verdict.
There is a bit of banter about this speaker cable and that speaker cable.
Then he asked my boss what the thought about the power cable (which cost A LOT I seem to remember). Dave said "Didn't notice a lot of difference really......but I think the kettle boils quicker"

True enough, that's where it had been for a week! :lol:

Unfortunately, I never really got to play with the cables myself :(

philmch

Post by philmch » 21 May 2008 17:49

James Randi is a fine and intelligent man and Russ Andrews and his like are the sort who deserve his wrath.

I really do wonder just what sort of person buys cables such as Nordost Valhalla. Perhaps they are the same sort of people who buy into Scientology. It's long been my opinion that if anyone is that gullible then they deserve the consequences.

Having said that, I'd recommend that everyone has a go at soldering up some cables of their own. I've done mine so that they're just the right length to connect component to amp with an inch or two of slack.

Having done this, I reckon that the only reason people can tell an improvement in sound when using a new cable is that they've got a good soldered joint twixt cable end and plug.

LPspinner

Post by LPspinner » 22 May 2008 03:15

wrote:
Imaginative although Russ is, he isn't the only one guilty at all!

Dave is on the money with this one, unfortunately Russ Andrews Is not the only one selling Snake Oil and miracle audio potions. Cables, little wooden blocks that are supposed to control resonances, small stick on dots and a whole raft of other exotic (read expensive) tweaks all seem a bit primitive to my mind. The only thing that Russ has done that sets him apart from the others is that he has said something that can be scientifically disproved; and so he got caught out.

Most of these charlatans and scammers are very careful not to include actual factual claims that can be substantiated (or disproved) in their advertising literature. They resort to very loose pseudo science and questionable research to illustrate their rather fragile claims. It’s a common debating and augmentative trick; you present a case and infer that it is fact or lead the audience to assume that it is fact without actually committing perjury. An educated professional can see through these loose and veiled deceptive tricks. Unfortunately the general public are not always in a position to fully differentiate between the more complex technical facts and the bent up half truths pedalled by most of these sheisters.

LPSpinner.

JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Post by JollyJeweller » 22 May 2008 11:56

If you want to read some heated discussions on cables and interconnects , that almost lead to murders, have a look on zerogain.
This Russ Andrews issue has been discussed there in great depth, basically all cable makers are snake oil salesmen....that's most peoples conclsuion.
Placebo effect and all that.

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 22 May 2008 14:28

Hi,
myths and anecdotes can keep the dream alive (of perfect sound)! But regardless of the condition of our dreams, facts are better than myth. Cable lore and power-saving electricity plug-ins have never entered my home.
bauzace50

padego

Post by padego » 22 May 2008 16:28

One of the worst offenders is the fellow from MachinaDynamica, he of the Clever Little Clock, Teleportation and Brilliant Pebbles. He's even made a game of the controversy by holding court over at AA in the "iso ward" where he has a few deluded but vocal supporters. I firmly believe that in any other industry he'd be busted for fraud.
padego

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 22 May 2008 19:40

It's about time something like this happened as there is so much twaddle banded around on the subject of power cables, speaker cables, etc. I thought SQ's appraisal of the cable demonstration at the Manchester show just about summed it all up.

How these companies have got away with it for so long is a mystery and has anyone who has been sucked in by it all ever felt duped?

Yes there can be audible differences between cables, but how some of the ridiculously high costs and claims can be justified is just beyond comprehension. But then again 'a fool and his money are easily parted'.

Abandonflip
long player
long player

Post by Abandonflip » 22 May 2008 23:00

padego wrote:One of the worst offenders is the fellow from MachinaDynamica...
Oh yes, there's some 'fun & games' on the SWIFT website about these folk too:
http://www.randi.org/joom/swift/swift/s ... 07.html#i1

JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Post by JollyJeweller » 23 May 2008 10:52

padego wrote:One of the worst offenders is the fellow from MachinaDynamica, he of the Clever Little Clock, Teleportation and Brilliant Pebbles. He's even made a game of the controversy by holding court over at AA in the "iso ward" where he has a few deluded but vocal supporters. I firmly believe that in any other industry he'd be busted for fraud.
padego
Someone sent me a link to them...I thought it was a p**s take....didn't realise that these products actually existed for sale :shock: