Snake Oil Product of the Year Awards

anything and nothing
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Snake Oil Product of the Year Awards

Post by Alec124c41 » 23 Nov 2018 14:13

Yes, they had special pens that were very expensive.
I tried that with a Sharpie. At least in my imagination, I thought a few sounded a bit better focused.
I played around with a laser pointer, and it seemed that the coating, green or black, on the CD edges, reduced the internal reflections. How much effect this had in actual playback is apparently debatable.
I did not continue the practice, nor did I ever spring for the special audiofool pen.

Cheers,
Alec

fluteboy
England

Post by fluteboy » 23 Nov 2018 15:17

And what about those stabiliser rings that you stick to the label sice of a CD to deal with centrifucal force?
ring cd.jpg
(49.44 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
I remember Laskys selling them in the late 80s/early 90s. Pure bullshine.

Grumpyoldgit1956
Wales

Post by Grumpyoldgit1956 » 23 Nov 2018 19:59

Tonybro wrote:
23 Nov 2018 12:53
I remember them - it was supposedly to stop light leakage at the rim of the disc or something...

They were green ink felt pens if I remember correctly...
Exactly. Nothing more, nothing less.

Grumpyoldgit1956
Wales

Post by Grumpyoldgit1956 » 23 Nov 2018 20:03

fluteboy wrote:
23 Nov 2018 15:17
And what about those stabiliser rings that you stick to the label sice of a CD to deal with centrifucal force?

ring cd.jpg

I remember Laskys selling them in the late 80s/early 90s. Pure bullshine.
Yep, another pile of bovine excrement. Laskys? That name brings back memories, clueless ignorant staff who preferred to watch the many TV's on display than serve customers. (at least in the Manchester Arndale branch).

giblets46

Post by giblets46 » 26 Nov 2018 19:34

Tonybro wrote:
23 Nov 2018 12:53
I remember them - it was supposedly to stop light leakage at the rim of the disc or something...

They were green ink felt pens if I remember correctly...
Yep! These are still available, bargain at $25
https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/a ... -stoplight

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 28 Nov 2018 17:42

I remember springing for a Stoplight back in the day, and it put real PAINT on the CD, not ink...just don't know to this day if it did any good.

Grumpyoldgit1956
Wales

Post by Grumpyoldgit1956 » 28 Nov 2018 19:04

giblets46 wrote:
26 Nov 2018 19:34
Yep! These are still available, bargain at $25
https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/a ... -stoplight
Cheap at triple the price, I hope they ship to the UK......... :roll: :lol:

BlazingArrow74
United States of America

Guru Protractor

Post by BlazingArrow74 » 19 Dec 2018 21:49

Any opinions here on the "Guru" Protractor? What really confuses me is that it's universal; I thought protractor geometries were unique to the effective length. Is this only true when using an arc ? I noticed the Guru does not use an arc.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Guru Protractor

Post by Alec124c41 » 20 Dec 2018 04:20

A 2-point protractor can be used with any arm, even a linear tracker.
About the "Guru" alignment:
https://www.vinylengine.com/guru-protra ... ysed.shtml
Not impressive.

Cheers,
Alec

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 22 Dec 2018 14:14

Not a product, but "Stereophile" ran a whole article about the subject:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/sna ... rt-history

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 22 Dec 2018 19:02

Lazarus Short wrote:
22 Dec 2018 14:14
Not a product, but "Stereophile" ran a whole article about the subject:
It's not without some irony the article dances around their own history of promoting snake oil products such as the Shakti Stones and multi-k priced cables. But it was nice to know what and where Hadacol was born out of, (prohibition). Now I know what Wynonnie Harris means from his song Lovin' Machine, "when my machine finishes, that ain't all, out comes a bottle of Hadacol."
The quote from the Stereophile article seems to put their reviewers at odds for their prior snake oil endorsements. Being such highly trained listeners they are.

"Unless you're a trained listener making an effort to maintain a consistent state of mind, any tweak, new component, or new accessory is virtually guaranteed to focus your attention more closely on the music, or some aspect of the music. Alter your focus—your attention—even a little, and what you hear will change, even if nothing has changed in what you're listening to. Using brain imaging, scientists have determined that such changes in perception are real, in the sense that they alter signals in the brain's hearing centers—primitive, pre-cognitive parts. You don't just think you hear it, you do hear it—even if it does nothing to the electrons in your wires or the pressure waves in your listening room."

Stereophile's quote could use this tongue in cheek follow up, from an unrelated email to John Atkinson from a psychology phD student. (from the Amazing Randi archive) http://archive.randi.org/site/jr/121004science.html#11

Mr. Atkinson,

My name is Charles Lambdin. I am a PhD student at Wichita State University and have developed an amazing product I would like to share with you. This product, which I have named the Objective Stimuli Interference Minimizer (OSIM), is essentially a band which one places around one's head. The band covers the eyes and the ears, and creates an additional barrier between the frontal temporal and rear occipital lobes and the external world.
Normally, when one is engaging in certain subjective tasks, the harsh incoming stimuli of one's surrounding reality impedes one's subjective revelries. This cumbersome onslaught of external stimulation has (as you can imagine) a negative effect on one's imagining, which further serves to lessen the intensity of subjective internal realities. OSIM works by minimizing incoming external signals which only serve to distract and lessen the richness of such subjective interpretation. By minimizing the incoming flow of such concrete signals, OSIM maximizes one's perceptual experience on a quantum and subjective level, adding depth and resonance to one's internal and personal postmodernistic experiences. It is my personal belief that your reviewers at Stereophile magazine, for example, could very well add to the keenness and subjectivity of their discerning ears by wearing the OSIM.
The OSIM, you see, is deceptively simple: it is comprised of loops of soft-ply bathroom tissue coated with duct tape — that's right, duct tape! It has been my experience and is my belief that wearing this blindfold enables the soft-ply tissue to soften the effects of traditional sense perception, allowing the user to increase self-obfuscation and unchecked interpretations of reality. As stated above, I believe your product reviewers could increase the efficacy of their reviews by employing this device. If worn properly, you see, they would not be able to actually hear the music at all (and I believe that this "hearing" does impede their judgments), allowing them to review the product purely on a quantum harmonic level. I think the OSIM could go at $1200 a pop.

http://archive.randi.org/site/images/121004-expert.jpg
Looks a bit S&M, they might like that.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 03 Feb 2019 20:49

Remember orienting your wires and cables in line with the earth's magnetic field, or cryogenically treating them, or purchasing special platforms to keep them off the floor?

ammarmariti
Malaysia

Post by ammarmariti » 07 Feb 2019 04:30

Snake oil gets the best of us.

The most level headed guy in a Discord server I know said the speaker setup I showed pictures of wouldn't sound its best because "the cables are laid on the floor". At first I thought he was gonna follow up with some sarcasm but then he went on with the kind of confidence I only see from salesmen.

ChimpsInTies

Post by ChimpsInTies » 08 Feb 2019 12:44

What is the reasoning behind their woo magic of raising the cables off the floor? I always say that if laying your cables on the floor produces any audible difference to the music, you've probably got bigger issues with your house electrics than a wonky sound stage. Maybe you should think about getting it looked at by a professional?!

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 08 Feb 2019 15:31

No...If you believe that, you've got bigger issues with your head. :? :lol: :cry: :roll: #-o :shock: