Snake Oil Product of the Year Awards

anything and nothing
Ottermel
Canada

Re: Snake oil abounds... even with AC outlets

Post by Ottermel » 08 Dec 2017 17:20

Better AC receptacles are to ensure a proper contact (firm grip) and better materials to reduce eventual corrosion of poor receptacles.
I had to replace the receptacles in my present house because the plugs would literally fall out on their own.
I used PS Audio ones which I bought at a discount at C$35.00 as one audio show. so they were not that much more expensive than a hospital grade outlet.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 13 Dec 2017 01:19

Oh, boy...it even gets worse with the AC cutlet snake oil...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FURUTECH-105-D ... 331a:g:wb4

BTW, if standard N American AC outlets really have such poor contact, we would have a continuous rash of outlet fires due to the heat caused by the resistance in the connections. :)

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 13 Dec 2017 02:26

JDJX wrote:Oh, boy...it even gets worse with the AC cutlet snake oil...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FURUTECH-105-D ... 331a:g:wb4

BTW, if standard N American AC outlets really have such poor contact, we would have a continuous rash of outlet fires due to the heat caused by the resistance in the connections. :)
Man oh man!
That Furutech so-called company is really OUT there!
Worthless JUNK for the uninformed and ignorant to waste their money on.

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 13 Dec 2017 15:14

Spinner45 wrote:Years ago, the crooks used to sell "awesome" stereo speakers and equipment out of a white van, in various parking lots of shopping centers.
They've now graduated to pushing their JUNK on the internet. :shock:
No upkeep in the van, so they can sell the gear even cheaper. Win-win! :lol: :lol:

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 13 Dec 2017 16:32

macnoob wrote:
Spinner45 wrote:Years ago, the crooks used to sell "awesome" stereo speakers and equipment out of a white van, in various parking lots of shopping centers.
Apparently they still do. And on your local classifieds sites too.
Indeed, yes as I previously stated, "They've now graduated to pushing their JUNK on the internet."

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 15 Dec 2017 11:05

Amusing myself, I browsed through a u d i o g o n ' s website.
Amazing stuff, if you don't know any better, or have had a botched lobotomy. :shock:

LD100
United States of America

Post by LD100 » 15 Dec 2017 14:51

I'm going to go out on a limb here, I'm not so sure slapping some pretty wood on a USB key is going to improve the sound quality...
#-o :o :roll: :shock: :roll: :o #-o

But that's just me. :D :electric: :electric: :electric:

Might need an extension for the usb connector, that looks a little too heavy for your average usb input. [-X :oops: [-X

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 16 Dec 2017 16:11

If I had a lot more funds wise I'd buy a whole bunch of very expensive outlets, IC's, speaker cables and anything else that caught my fancy. Then I'd post how much better said devices made my system sound. I'd do it just to piss off the wallet police. :mrgreen:

Why do so many care so much what someone else spends on anything? You're not protecting the ignorant. The ignorant don't buy expensive audio anything. Those who do buy expensive audio "what evers" don't care what you have to say. :twisted:

FWIW: I have Hubbell and Leviton hospital grade outlets along with DH Labs IC's and speaker cables.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 16 Dec 2017 19:20

JoeE SP9 wrote:If I had a lot more funds wise I'd buy a whole bunch of very expensive outlets, IC's, speaker cables and anything else that caught my fancy. Then I'd post how much better said devices made my system sound. I'd do it just to piss off the wallet police. :mrgreen:

Why do so many care so much what someone else spends on anything? You're not protecting the ignorant. The ignorant don't buy expensive audio anything. Those who do buy expensive audio "what evers" don't care what you have to say. :twisted:

FWIW: I have Hubbell and Leviton hospital grade outlets along with DH Labs IC's and speaker cables.
Why not invest in some nice cable management devices?
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/stand ... urce=zaius

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 16 Dec 2017 22:24

JoeE SP9 wrote:If I had a lot more funds wise I'd buy a whole bunch of very expensive outlets, IC's, speaker cables and anything else that caught my fancy. Then I'd post how much better said devices made my system sound. I'd do it just to piss off the wallet police. :mrgreen:

No wallet Police here, I dont think anyone here cares what the foolish buy, the saying "The fool and his money are easily parted." is very true indeed.. What does annoy me though is not the fool buying snake oil, but the peddlers' of it preying on peoples ignorance's. Not everyone who buys this junk is is wealthy and the peddler's are essentially selling something that does not work and profiting from it and that is wrong.
Also worth mentioning some of these snake oil products are not so obviously snake oil,and the buyers not fools, hence the cable debate. Most dont understand how electricity really works and what can actually make a difference and what simply cant. A lot of money has been made with cables banking on the fact that the general public has a large hole in their knowledge about electricity in general. Most just plug stuff in and it works or it dosnt so telling them this wire or this box will make the hifi work better is an easy con as it is quite believable to the uninformed. This has allowed companies to sell gold plated fuses in mains plugs, special mains cables, plugs and sockets and mad priced speaker and interconnect cable as they have some impossible magical properties. Possible, even slightly plausible properties as the buyers dont have the slightest clue or understand how current flows. If people want to buy these as it makes them happy I nor anyone else will loose sleep over it as people do what they want with their money. I hate gambling too and never put my money in slot machines but some spend families income on them, again people do what they want. I do however hate the people who profit from them. Same applies to snake oil as these are essentially con men. I am quite sure someone selling a gold plug fuse is quite aware there is no sonic improvements to be had using it, but as long as their bank account keeps growing they dont care they are selling snake oil. These low life are my problem not the buyer.
Chris

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 16 Dec 2017 23:17

cafe latte wrote:

No wallet Police here, I dont think anyone here cares what the foolish buy, the saying "The fool and his money are easily parted." is very true indeed.. What does annoy me though is not the fool buying snake oil, but the peddlers' of it preying on peoples ignorance's. Not everyone who buys this junk is is wealthy and the peddler's are essentially selling something that does not work and profiting from it and that is wrong.
Also worth mentioning some of these snake oil products are not so obviously snake oil,and the buyers not fools, hence the cable debate. Most dont understand how electricity really works and what can actually make a difference and what simply cant. A lot of money has been made with cables banking on the fact that the general public has a large hole in their knowledge about electricity in general. Most just plug stuff in and it works or it dosnt so telling them this wire or this box will make the hifi work better is an easy con as it is quite believable to the uninformed. This has allowed companies to sell gold plated fuses in mains plugs, special mains cables, plugs and sockets and mad priced speaker and interconnect cable as they have some impossible magical properties. Possible, even slightly plausible properties as the buyers dont have the slightest clue or understand how current flows. If people want to buy these as it makes them happy I nor anyone else will loose sleep over it as people do what they want with their money. I hate gambling too and never put my money in slot machines but some spend families income on them, again people do what they want. I do however hate the people who profit from them. Same applies to snake oil as these are essentially con men. I am quite sure someone selling a gold plug fuse is quite aware there is no sonic improvements to be had using it, but as long as their bank account keeps growing they dont care they are selling snake oil. These low life are my problem not the buyer.
Chris
Well stated, and I agree with this.
And if putting out of business these snake oil creeps helps anyone, and benefits the overall economy in a positive way, then indeed let's OUT these goons for what they are.
I'm all in for calling out fakers and liars, and improving the internet by lessening mis-information to the masses.
After all, it's not a bad thing to crusade for honesty, is it?

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 02 Jan 2018 05:31

Adding to the "Snake Oil" list, here's one that a brand new member has brought to our attention.
Check out the "Health Ring" gizmo
http://www.vandenhul.com/products/acces ... ealth-ring

And suspect OTHER products on that website as being shady, since the site has no contact information, fuzzy disclaimers, and just makes me laugh.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 02 Jan 2018 06:01

Spinner45 wrote:Adding to the "Snake Oil" list, here's one that a brand new member has brought to our attention.

And suspect OTHER products on that website as being shady, since the site has no contact information, fuzzy disclaimers, and just makes me laugh.
They get worse and worse :lol: there seems to be no limit to the madness.
Chris

LD100
United States of America

Post by LD100 » 02 Jan 2018 07:03

Spinner45 wrote:Adding to the "Snake Oil" list, here's one that a brand new member has brought to our attention.

That is a perfectly fine product...although I don't recall ever seeing one placed on a wrist, it was always on another appendage. :shock:

During my misspent youth I recall first seeing a ring used in an adult cinema...what?...
not the same ring? :o ...looks like the same ring :oops:
...if it's small enough I could probably use one now. #-o

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dutchy

Post by Dutchy » 02 Jan 2018 08:36

We have a relaxed attitude towards recreational d r u q s here in the Netherlands; Mr. van der Hul seems to have a lot of recreation time on his hands :-)