Any Summer sausage makers here?

anything and nothing
pogo
long player
long player

Any Summer sausage makers here?

Post by pogo » 18 Sep 2019 00:53

As I may have mentioned in the past, some of my passtimes besides vinyl are smoking, grilling, and sausage making.

I recently ordered some orange fibrous casings. I have a couple of recipes for summer sausages and I use the different colors to distinguish them. Now, this supplier sells most of these large casings in bundles of 25 for a cost of 60 cents or so per casing. For whatever reason the orange braunschweiger casings are sold individually for $1.49 a pop. So I popped for six of them and sent the order in.

When the package arrived I was a little surprised at the size of the box. I opened it and found 6 bundles of 25 each! So, that's 150 casings, or $223 worth of casings for $9 plus shipping. As we've established in a past thread, I'm not really a thief, so I immediately emailed directly to CS and asked them for return instructions. (These items are not normally returnable) I heard nothing for a week so I went the web site and left a note via the online contact form. Another two weeks have gone by without even an acknowledgement that my message was received. I think I'm stuck with ten lifetimes of braunschweiger casings. I also get emails from the supplier every few days asking me to submit a review! Probably the least I can do. I'm not trying to sell these here -- just saying I've got them. If you've read this far you deserve some of the windfall if you have a use for it. PM me. (If you PM asking me for 100, you're greedy and will get none.)

rewfew
long player
long player

Re: Any Summer sausage makers here?

Post by rewfew » 19 Sep 2019 23:32

I have on occasion entertained the thought of sausage making. All I have is a hand crank meat grinder I saved from my folks. Is there a good web site to get some pointers on spices and technique stuffing the gut? I wouldn't mind making some brats or whatever I could push in some casings manually.

pogo
long player
long player

Post by pogo » 20 Sep 2019 00:54

rewfew wrote:
19 Sep 2019 23:32
I have on occasion entertained the thought of sausage making. All I have is a hand crank meat grinder I saved from my folks. Is there a good web site to get some pointers on spices and technique stuffing the gut? I wouldn't mind making some brats or whatever I could push in some casings manually.
Sonoma Mountain Sausages
The Sausage Maker
Walton's

There are several other sites selling equipment and seasonings, etc. Almost all the recipes I make are from Sonoma Mountain's formulations section.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 20 Sep 2019 16:09

Thank you Pogo. To be totally corn ball, I gotta lot to digest here. Had no idea the scientific implications. But, like any method of repeat-ability, safety and refinement. Makes sense. Brats and breakfast sausage seems a good beginner attempt. I do have a kitchen-aid mixer also that would come in handy with an attachment for stuffing.

pogo
long player
long player

Post by pogo » 20 Sep 2019 16:32

Agreed. Any fresh sausage would be a good start. Generally they'll take readily available ingredients -- No Nitrites, Nitrates, or phosphates. I generally just keep my breakfast sausage in bulk form and make patties. I bought some expensive sheep casings and tried one time to stuff them -- didn't enjoy the experience! If you're going to use the Kitchen Aid for stuffing, you might as well use it for grinding as well.