Music you've dedicated to a pet.

anything and nothing
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Music you've dedicated to a pet.

Post by vinyl master » 08 Sep 2019 00:40

Here's one from Dolly Parton about her "Cracker Jack"...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Sep 2019 00:43

And then, Elvis had one about "Old Shep"...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Sep 2019 00:46

And then, there was Martha, the sheepdog...Sir Paul's first pet! :)

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 08 Sep 2019 00:53

vinyl master wrote:
07 Sep 2019 19:01
Of course, maybe you can get a pal for Boo Boo and name him Yogi? :wink:

Both our Pomeranians are getting a bit up in age, and Boo Boo already has 6, or so other pals with the rest of the dogs in the house, besides a small herd of cats. Remembering the sadness of losing our first 3 males in a row, and then little Toot Toot which drove me back to smoking for several years, I do secretly wish one of the three would mate with the little terrier mix one of our housemates recently found wandering the golf course to keep a small lap dog or so around for another generation. Maybe Bubba will jump the fence sometime while he's tied out or something.:wink:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Sep 2019 01:21

Well, I guess I share some of my pet memories...I had a dog named Laddie, a Collie-German Shepherd mix...This is him when he was just a pup...

We had him for 14 years, and he got to be quite big! I remember how hard he was to train...He even attended obedience school, but he so wild and crazy, it didn't do him any good...He still couldn't come into the house, because he'd break everything in sight, so he had to stay an outdoor dog...I remember trying to trim his long hair in the summer and it took quite a few hours to get him to lie still enough to use the trimmer...He also had to take a heartworm pill, which he would only do if my dad encased it in a spoonful of peanut butter! :lol: He had a nice doghouse, though, that my dad built and it was always full of straw during the winter with extra straw kept in an old pickle barrel my dad cleaned out...This is him when he got older (The hutch on the side was from earlier when my sister had a pet rabbit)...

He got taken for walks often, had the run of the yard in the summertime, was good at playing fetch, loved to drink out of the hose when my dad was watering the garden and got PLENTY of exercise...The problem is that on the walks, he'd have to sniff every single mailbox and fire hydrant along the way...And so, I'm reminded of this song...

I remember one time when he was out on the yard and he was barking away...My mom was relaxing on a lawn chair and got up to see why he was barking so much...She thought he was just thirsty, so she went to get him some more water...Soon, it started thundering and about five minutes later, the tree branch just above the lawn chair my mom was sitting on came crashing down upon it...Coincidence? I think not...Makes you wonder, don't it??? :-k

I loved that dog to pieces, though! :cry:

Here's one of my cat Tiger, who we had for 13 years, too...I swear that cat thought he was a human and his heart would race whenever he would see a squirrel or two outside the window! It was so funny to see him meowing and "talking" to them! :lol: It often sounded like he was saying "Mama"...This is him having a ball at Christmas with our wrapping paper!

My dad never had to use an alarm clock, for that cat would wake him up always early to be let out, purring away and traipsing all over the bed...My dad wasn't necessarily a "cat person", but that cat grew on him and I remember when he was so small that he could fit into the palm of my dad's hand...Again, when he grew older, he got more adventurous, leading to his many escapades up the hill I alluded to earlier...

Here's a couple just for him!

I still miss them both, as well as the two gerbils, two hamsters, two parakeets, three other dogs, two other cats, my sister's rabbit and a tank full of tropical fish...Yes, we had quite a menagerie at one time! #-o

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Sep 2019 02:57

Of course, if any of you is a cat lover, you will understand these words completely...

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 08 Sep 2019 03:26

I guess I'll elaborate a bit more, and say that we've always had several pets, and things did get out of control a couple times with Guinea pigs and rabbits, although we usually found homes for them at local pet shops, or even once in line at the animal shelter before they even opened. When we moved here, we had about 6 more acres of privacy, so after previsly loosing my first two Pomeranians which were males, I brought home 3 at once, two females, and a male. Machelle had a litter just before a relentless cat chasing Dachshund mom bought from a pet shop likely killed the third male. I did keep 3 pups from this litter for a few years, before adopting two out.
IM000142.JPG
(183.64 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
I will also say that the black and white one grew up to be Bubba's mother, and was originally named Stinkee Petunia, inspired by this Lonely Little Petunia song. Unfortunately I cannot find Arthur Godfreys version so I'll have to let this guy sing it.

The others were Muffin (black), Cindy (orange), and Noodle, the 4th male
And, that dachshund
IM000048.JPG
(231.09 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
And the song mom sung to him;

And shortly after, this one followed, Heidi;
IM000103.JPG
(314.14 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
and the song for this one,

or,

And a unexpected surprise named Fudge from my second Chow and the male Dachshund;
IM000111.JPG
(111.86 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
And his song, or at least a suitable version I just recently discovered the artist of.

While a friend of ours had this dog for several years, we ended up taking him back in and he is still with us at age 14. Just picture this "furry bone investigator" following a big old bear he probably thought looked like his mother and it's cubs looking for a snack, a sight I will never forget. He saved the life of both my friend after a porch roof collapsed onto him, and possibly, my mother after she ran off the road in the middle of nowhere by summoning help.
The dachshunds didn't work out too good, and after a couple litters, we adopted out the father, and later, the female died of cancer at age 5. She kept one neutered puppy as a pet, named Oscar, of course, and all was again peaceful...for a while anyway.
Last edited by Big B5515 on 08 Sep 2019 04:23, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Sep 2019 04:21

I like Fudge, B! 8) Put a cape on him and he can be "Superfudge", like the Judy Blume book! :lol:

It's funny, but my aunt has always owned Dachshunds (a floppy-eared mixed breed one named Sebastian) and Pomeranians (Cujo), too! As well as a Samoyed-Chow mix girl named what else...Sammie! :D

They are definitely dogs that need a lot of love and attention! :)

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 10 Sep 2019 00:34

vinyl master wrote:
08 Sep 2019 04:21
I like Fudge, B! 8) Put a cape on him and he can be "Superfudge", like the Judy Blume book! :lol:
I'll have to look for a small cape and take another picture of old Fudge before he throws in the towel :lol: .
I may as well tie up a few more loose ends of our musically inspired pet history. While I only knew Budweiser for a week or so, I did take a picture for a flyer trying to find his home. We didn't need anymore male dogs fighting with each other, so a friend took him in. He stayed there about 3 years, and then disappeared again. His wild spirit, and the name Budweiser always made me think of this classical piece, Appalachian Spring I heard on public radio, and also a clip of the "simple gifts" part in a old beer ad, IIRC.
IM000334.JPG
(192.73 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

And, then there was Buffy shown in the next picture on the left beside that unfortunate 3'rd male, Mikey the 3'rd, a name that just seemed cursed. She was given to us in a state of distress, from which we cleaned her up, and nursed her back to health. While not shown in the picture, she had a notably large, and waggly tail. She ended up becoming the mother of Boo Boo, and grandmother if the "Tailey monster" in my first post. Her song became a variation on the song Buffalo Gals, and left me still seeking a mystery Big Band version I once heard on radio station WMKV in Cincinnati.
IM000108.JPG
(155.14 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

For her, it went something like "fluffy little Buffy with a tail on the butt...…"
And I'd like to mention a chocolate colored sibling of Muffin and Noodle, about the same color as Budweiser, which I do not have a picture of, but named Choo Choo. Chabaka was always hugging on her like he loved no other, and Chattanooga (or Cocoa- Mocha) Choo Choo was her song. I was hoping these two would be my next generation, but someone else had other plans, as well as letting their child wreck my new at the time, camera :( .

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Sep 2019 02:12

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one...

I'm also dedicating this one to my second dog, Fluffy, the malamute mix, who ended up running away for good by sneaking under the garage door after my dad locked him in there after a really bad torrential storm...He was one of those dogs who always kept running away (as well as Laddie early on), so this one's for them!

I think I'll change the first lines from this, though...

"I hear your high heels clickin' down the boulevard
You got your suitcase in hand, guess you're takin' it hard..."

to this...

"I hear your soft paws running down the driveway
With your tennis ball in mouth, afraid someone will take it away..."

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 10 Sep 2019 03:22

Yes, we had a problem runaway dog as well named Rock. He would escape one way, or another by jumping fences, or opening doors & gates. He could chew open a tin can, or even a doorknob. This was from another accidental litter several years before we moved here, after we brought home a stray Golden retriever? mix from a fishing trip, our only catch, and it mated with our Husky , before we found it a home. Mom kept both surviving pups, the other a female with birth defects named Susie. Shortly after we moved here, it unlatched the gate and escaped the fenced in yard while we were away, and was hit by a car. As the driver was a policeman's wife, we ended up having to pay her insurance deductible, on top of loosing the dog.
IM000060.JPG
(281.74 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Rock had a few songs such as;

Or, as he was a bit hard headed,

And while I don't have pictures of Susie as she passed at a younger age, she did have her share of songs mom sang to her, besides the Everly Brothers song previously mentioned for the cat.

And sometimes

or even

And those Susie songs (and then some) went for another cat or so mom had over the years with the same name, I'm loosing track of them all.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Sep 2019 04:28

You know what's weird, B??? :-k My mom and dad had a dog named Suzie, too, before I was born...She was this poodle mix and my uncle also had a Suzie, but that one was a pit bull mix...He always used to call her Suzy Q! So, I am reminded of the original...

Speaking of "Suzy Snowflake", I have a different version on 45'...

And then, in honor of our cats, Squeaky (the grey tabby), Baby (the calico) and Tiger...Another one I've mentioned before...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Sep 2019 04:37

You know, this was the first version of Toni Basil's "Mickey", done by a UK group, Racey under the title "Kitty"...Takes on a new meaning, though, if one is referring to an actual cat...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Sep 2019 04:39

I'm also gonna dedicate this one to my cats, because they always reminded me of it...

Weird, I know, but those cats were as silly as the song is... :crazy:

"Squeaks", as I called him, always had a penchant for climbing the drapes and walking along the curtain rod...He would jump off our playhouse and always land on his feet and was not afraid of fences as he would routinely jump from our patio table onto the fence and then over it...That cat was not afraid of anything! Tiger would always sit with his legs splayed out on "his" chair, pretending he was a real human, which I think he thought he was...The things (and predicaments) they would get into, though...never failed to make me laugh! :lol:
Last edited by vinyl master on 10 Sep 2019 04:53, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Sep 2019 04:45

And then, a whole 'nuther level of "silly"...