Music you've dedicated to a pet.

anything and nothing
Big B5515
long player
long player

Music you've dedicated to a pet.

Post by Big B5515 » 05 Sep 2019 00:48

A few weeks back while browsing through some music on this forum, the idea for a thread concerning songs we've dedicated to a pet for one reason or another, or that bring back memories of a past pet came to mind. On several occasions, a song has either inspired a pet name, or otherwise become a sort of "theme song" due to it's behavior, or other reason. While a few of the pet pictures I was hoping to post have become lost over the years, I do still have some of their puppy pictures anyway. I'll start off with a few examples, and feel free to post your pet stories, pictures and songs as well.

First, this one came from an announcement of "Free puppies in isle 3" at a flea market back in the earlier 90s, and my mother could not resist this Chow Lab mix with a docked tail she named Pookey.
IM000061.JPG
(203.37 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
It stuck to her like glue, and curled it's lips and hid at the least little noise like it was scared to death of everything, so it should be no surprise that I thought this old dime store record from 1927 of The Nightmare was a most fitting song, and has been on my want list since.
https://archive.org/details/1927-USA-Ar ... -Nightmare
Of course, my mothers idea of his song was the tune from "O Christmas Tree", reworded "O Pooka Poo"

Another example of a old favorite song from my youth, that later inspired the names of two dogs, both named Toot Toot;

First Toot Toot as a puppy, It was something about her bark that inspired the name
IM000047.JPG
(191.68 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
And after the unfortunate early demise of that one while I was away, I named it's floppy eared replacement the same name, .
IM000141.JPG
(152.71 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
And another song that later became associated with a very small Pomeranian pup from the second Toot Toot which I had named Chabaka. I have since found it difficult to listen to this one, since loosing this dog due to a inconsiderate niece,

It never weighed over 3 -3\4 lbs, and often chased its tail. Unfortunately, I no longer have a picture of the beautiful little dog he grew into, but I believe this was a picture of him as a puppy.
BBMVGNCBGVAFGDCSF CSB DGDD BXZB.jpg
(44.75 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
And finally the example I posted in another thread which inspired the idea; I had heard the Fred Schneider song "Monster" a while back, but did not know the name of it's artist at the time. Receiving a horribly behaved pomeranian the above mentioned niece had kept for a year, and watching it standing on her hind legs raiding the trash made me think of a line in the song about a "dirty dance", and she was always on the run wanting to have some fun playing hard to catch, or similar mischief. Needless to say, This little critter's nickname quickly became the monster more or less due to hearing this song.
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... &mode=view
And the song;

While the first four were pets were from our past, the last little "monster" is still around, and as badly behaved as ever #-o .

Big B5515
long player
long player

Re: Music you've dedicated to a pet.

Post by Big B5515 » 06 Sep 2019 07:27

Now surely, I'm not the only music lover on here with a soft spot for pets who caught themselves singing a line or so from a song like

(Wasn't there an earlier rendition of this song back in the days :-k ...)
to a fuzzy little friend such as this puppy named Michelle, whom I also brought home along with that first Toot Toot which didn't make it.
IM000051.JPG
(236.08 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
She was the first Pomeranian I had which actually died of old age instead of a mishap, and became a loyal, but somewhat rotten traveling companion to me. She later also became known as the "Wooly Bully" among other names, at least if around any dogs smaller than she was, weighing in at about 15 lbs. I always liked that puppy pose with the floppy ear, which did stand up once she grew a bit larger

Or maybe something like memories of Mom singing this song to her Siamese cat named Sua from my youth,

Or, watched something like our young Siberian Husky chase a cat under and over a bed repeatedly one evening, and both agree the song title, Monster Mash described the scene very well. This dog's nickname was, of course, the "Blue Eyed Monster", however this one also predates our first digital camera like the cat mentioned before.

Hope to see some others chime in now with their pet dedicated music picks and\or pictures.

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 07 Sep 2019 08:48

Beethoven indeed composed a short piece dedicated to a dog, a dead dog in fact.
It is an elegy to the memory of a beloved dog.
As far as I know, Beethoven did not write the lyrics (as it is a German popular poem as far as I know) but Beethoven certainly composed the music for the poem.
I don't know if Beethoven ever owned a dog.
It is beautiful piece of music as everything Beethoven composed. I love Beethoven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGc3oHWBzxs

It is in German translated to Spanish, I was not able to find an English translation.

I will try to translate to English:

"Nothing lasts forever, everything dies...
Happines in life often dies by midday... When death cuts the weed...
In the same way as you, my happiness (refers to the dog)
My tears flow because of you..
Just like friends dedicate their own tears to their friends, my eyes can not keep the pain I feel because of you..
You, a creature sent to me for my joy
God almighty provided you with unmatched loyalty to me
HE provided you with an always cheerful mood..
There is no other animal that we love so much as you

But this is my reward:
My heart wont fight against destiny as a result of this lost
Because you will live in my heart forever
This way you will fool my thoughts with fond memories of you
You will always live in my heart fooling my thoughts with fond memories of you"

My translation most likely is pretty bad
Hopefully someone knows German and I will be more than happy to read a much better translation...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 07 Sep 2019 11:40

Here is a song by Harry Nilsson about a boy and his dog.

Another nice one from Henry Gross.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Sep 2019 16:35

Have any of you heard this one from Neil Young? :-k

Funny, my cousin had a husky dog named King...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Sep 2019 16:37

I am also reminded of this one...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Sep 2019 16:44

I am reminded of this song from Fred Penner...

The song's on vinyl, too!

I had a cat named Tiger who loved to go up the hill behind our house and every once in a while, he would come back with a mouse in between his teeth...I guess he wanted to prove that he was doing his job and not just taking "cat naps" all day! Sometimes, we would let him out and he would run up the hill and stay up there...We called him and he never came, but he would show up without fail a day or two later...Who knows what he was doing up there, but he never failed to come back! Maybe we had better food for his liking??? :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Sep 2019 17:14

Of course, I've had plenty of dogs, too, over the years, and here's one for all you dog lovers! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Sep 2019 17:16

I'm also reminded of this song I discovered on a Diamonds LP from the thrift store...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Sep 2019 17:18

And then, for all the bad dogs out there...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Sep 2019 17:21

When I was younger, I remember this guy here...I think my sister may have even had the lunchbox! :-k

Anyone else remember that show??? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Sep 2019 17:34

By the way, how many of you remember this guy??? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Sep 2019 17:39

Here's another one dedicated to a cat...

As it turns out, Art Carney wasn't a "cat person" until that film made him one!

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 07 Sep 2019 18:04

And while not every pet I've known or owned ended up with a song, or name inspired by one, I thought I'd bring things up to date with the other more submissive Pomeranian we still have, and two potential songs I've been pondering over, named Boo Boo after a small dog my father owned.
IMG_1829.JPG
(50.92 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
and the songs,

Or, this one my friend vinyl master had mentioned, who also helped me decide on a name for the thread.

I'm just not sure if either fits, but I do kind of like the Lobo song...

And then there is this mix between one of Machelle's siblings I gave to a friend, and a stray who came along they named Budweiser. We later adopted it back from that friend, and finally just named her Mrs. Bubba. I should add that she inherited Machelle's ability to climb fences, and then some #-o After a eye injury not shown in this profile, she became inseparable from my mother, and we must either confine her, or take her along if leaving the house.
IMG_2258.JPG
(59.04 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
And while she doesn't exactly have a song, the unusual name for a Female was inspired by this song, after all, what else would you name a dog with a father named Budweiser?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Sep 2019 19:01

Of course, maybe you can get a pal for Boo Boo and name him Yogi? :wink: