Getting old, what happened and when!?

anything and nothing
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Getting old, what happened and when!?

Post by cafe latte » 18 Aug 2019 09:38

Back to work tomorrow, just about too, I had a fall Wednesday morning on a wet tiled floor, result was unconscious for a bit, black eye with a cut, very sore bruised ribs, hopefully just badly bruised wrist, small chip to a tooth and feeling generally like death for 5 days. I am still wincing now and again and I still look scary, but on the mend. How can getting well take so long, when was the change? I remember being beaten up by an older boy at school years ago, he made a real mess of me busting my ribs too. Next day I was back at school, and don't remember healing taking any time at all.
Bruises are another thing, I never used to bruise at all, never. Now every bump, so annoying. :old-git:
Chris

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Getting old, what happened and when!?

Post by Tinkaroo » 18 Aug 2019 10:27

I'm sorry to hear about your fall but glad to hear you are recovering even if it is slower than you used to.

It happens to all of us who get past a certain age. The best that you can do is eat well and keep active.

This summer I bought a vintage 12 speed road bike from the 70s and started cycling again. I hadn't done that for decades and soon realized how out of shape I was, but I keep working at it and am seeing some improvement, but I need to realize my limitations.

I hope you get better soon. =D>

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 18 Aug 2019 11:54

Tinkaroo wrote:
18 Aug 2019 10:27
I'm sorry to hear about your fall but glad to hear you are recovering even if it is slower than you used to.

It happens to all of us who get past a certain age. The best that you can do is eat well and keep active.

This summer I bought a vintage 12 speed road bike from the 70s and started cycling again. I hadn't done that for decades and soon realized how out of shape I was, but I keep working at it and am seeing some improvement, but I need to realize my limitations.

I hope you get better soon. =D>
Thanks back to work tomorrow, my friend said similar apart taking the beep out of me. He said he gave up rugby at 35 as the bruises started to last week to week and at the start they did not even appear. Sad but true to see it on myself...
Groan
Chris

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 18 Aug 2019 13:12

Hopefully you were able to spin some vinyl to help with your recuperation.

And no rush to get back to work. You need to be 100% for your crew.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Aug 2019 15:44

For the treatment of bruises, get some arnica cream, and apply it ASAP when you get a bad bump. It is amazingly effective.

Cheers,
Alec

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 18 Aug 2019 16:32

Your touch of trauma brought home your unrealized passage into the cycle of life. The down slope that is. Makes your vulnerability a greater priority to stay as healthy as you can for yourself. When I retired, not by design but by loosing my job. I went through a period of illness brought on by stress. My job now is adhering to the routine of working out five days a week. Saturday is a day of rest. Sunday, a morning bike ride. Glad your mending up, albeit slower than days gone by. It's all good, your wiser now right? That's my excuse.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Aug 2019 17:16

I actually have done a lot of walking over the past two years...I did some before that, too, of course, but I really started focusing on it back in August of 2017...I think it's made a huge difference and I've done some traveling and camping, too, which necessitates some walking...If it weren't for the walking, I probably would not have attempted the camping and traveling again, but the two go hand in hand! I've also ridden bikes for years and I, like Tink, have an appreciation of a good vintage ten-speed! There are a couple of old German mountain/touring bikes (Gudereit?) that my mom and dad used to ride from the 60's that I'd love to fix up/do something with someday, as well...It could be another fun "project" to get them in working order again... :-k

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 18 Aug 2019 18:38

Sorry you got hurt, but glad you are mending. I had my own epiphany about 4 years ago. I fell backwards off a step ladder while holding a 50 pound amp. Onto a concrete floor. The amp was just fine, I was not. I fractured a vertebrae. I didn't see stars....I saw the whole galaxy. In technicolor. Lying on one's back holding an amp I realized that I needed to be a bit more careful in what I did. They chose not to operate on it and said it would probably mend fairly well. I need some medical definitions for this. It was 8 weeks before I could really walk any great distance (I jog about 5K 5 times a week) and after four years it still reminds me to be careful in what I do. Getting old is rugged, but as they say the alternative is worse. And oh by the way, I like you all, bruise easily and heal slowly enough so you can double park some of them.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 30 Aug 2019 16:27

Hope you're fully recovered and back to 100% at what you do........ [-o<

Yeah getting old where recovery is not as easy as my youth.

A memorable moment was a forward face full tumble and not being able to catch myself fully with my hands before I slightly grazed my front teeth on the cement. Previously, was able to just perhaps catch myself with my arms, but weakened in the legs from Lyme, missing and tripping on a curb cutout I found myself prone on my stomach on the sidewalk...... :shock: Happened in front of a stranger, who asked "Are you OK ?" I felt old.

Since then I've found my legs stronger and had cataracts removed with corrective implants...... =D> :wink:

Just recently found myself flipped on my back, moving a motorbike from the opposite side. The kickstand was not fully deployed and when lowering to rest on it, collapsed and involved in a slow drop onto it's side while holding on to the handlebars. Flipped on my back in the grass I was not injured (nor the bike) but totally embarrassed because I should have known better. I was lucky...... :oops: [-o<

Take care.

Fred

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 30 Aug 2019 22:21

fscl wrote:
30 Aug 2019 16:27
Hope you're fully recovered and back to 100% at what you do........ [-o<

Yeah getting old where recovery is not as easy as my youth.

A memorable moment was a forward face full tumble and not being able to catch myself fully with my hands before I slightly grazed my front teeth on the cement. Previously, was able to just perhaps catch myself with my arms, but weakened in the legs from Lyme, missing and tripping on a curb cutout I found myself prone on my stomach on the sidewalk...... :shock: Happened in front of a stranger, who asked "Are you OK ?" I felt old.

Since then I've found my legs stronger and had cataracts removed with corrective implants...... =D> :wink:

Just recently found myself flipped on my back, moving a motorbike from the opposite side. The kickstand was not fully deployed and when lowering to rest on it, collapsed and involved in a slow drop onto it's side while holding on to the handlebars. Flipped on my back in the grass I was not injured (nor the bike) but totally embarrassed because I should have known better. I was lucky...... :oops: [-o<

Take care.

Fred
Thanks Fred,
Much better but still painful ribs, wrist is still not perfect but getting better every day. Teeth are starting to feel like they belong in my mouth, I was starting to get very worried I would loose a few teeth as a few teeth on the top left side of my moth felt wrong and I could not chew on them, also front top tooth on same side felt very odd with any pressure on it. Now top left teeth feel mostly ok a few more days should do the trick and the front one is improving every day, I am still a bit careful biting food though. Black eye stayed for almost 2 weeks!!
So glad teeth are coming good that was main concern.
Chris