What do you listen to in your car – talk radio, news or music?

anything and nothing
timspell
long player
long player

Post by timspell » 03 Aug 2019 04:24

When I was young I continually blasted music through my car’s sound system. As a senior citizen I rarely listen to music in my car. I mainly listen to news programs, and music sessions are reserved for my home system. It’s strange that as a music and hi-fi equipment lover I’m not a fan of listening to music in a car.

Does anyone else experience this?

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: What do you listen to in your car – talk radio, news or music?

Post by Tinkaroo » 03 Aug 2019 09:23

Mostly music but also news and on rare occasion talk.

phivates

Post by phivates » 03 Aug 2019 15:18

#1 Music
#2 Music
#3 Music

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 03 Aug 2019 15:35

Mostly Sirius satellite Jazz, Soft Jazz, and R&B. I also listen to my WAV files on my flash drive. I've been blessed with my car being one of the last models with a cd player built-in, so I still listen to good CDs as well. My car's headunit is backed with two subs for bass enhancement. Simple, but well produced sound with quality recordings. I'm the opposite, I mostly listen to music in my car.

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 03 Aug 2019 15:43

I listen to 35% news talk radio, 15% Sirius Music, 50% Music from my thumb drive.

What I realized is that most songs will get old to me if I listen to them too often, and then after a while I wont want to listen to those songs until years later. So I listen to news to have stuff that I havent heard before, constantly changing material. Once my Sirius sub runs out on this car, Im going to strictly pandora or spotify. They give you new great music to listen to that is like the music I pick.

Veggie Boy
Canada

Post by Veggie Boy » 03 Aug 2019 15:59

I commute half hour to 45 minutes to and from work.

I listen to news, weather, and traffic updates on one of our local AM stations.

I save my music for home.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 03 Aug 2019 22:19

To the engine mainly. Haven't had the car radio/CD-player on for almost 13 years...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

timspell
long player
long player

Post by timspell » 05 Aug 2019 04:31

I commute half hour to 45 minutes to and from work.

I listen to news, weather, and traffic updates on one of our local AM stations.

I save my music for home.
To the engine mainly. Haven't had the car radio/CD-player on for almost 13 years...
It's interesting that music enthusiasts don't listen to music in their cars and reserve it for their home systems.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 05 Aug 2019 21:43

Mainly news and towards the lower end of the FM spectrum.

I'll stoop to AM for traffic reports at the 0:01s and 0:08s here in the NYC area if I have to get somewhere "on time" :-k

If I'm topped out on news and talk, then it's a switch to the signature station and deep breathing.... =D> =D> =D>

For distance, it's an iPod Touch(s), longer, a pile of CDs and scanning radio music in foreign territory.

Just got another 2 month SiriusXM trial so starting to experiment with their content again.

Fred and used to listen to lots of KLOL Houston back in the day...... :)

timspell
long player
long player

Post by timspell » 06 Aug 2019 04:02

fscl wrote:
05 Aug 2019 21:43
Mainly news and towards the lower end of the FM spectrum.

I'll stoop to AM for traffic reports at the 0:01s and 0:08s here in the NYC area if I have to get somewhere "on time" :-k

If I'm topped out on news and talk, then it's a switch to the signature station and deep breathing.... =D> =D> =D>

For distance, it's an iPod Touch(s), longer, a pile of CDs and scanning radio music in foreign territory.

Just got another 2 month SiriusXM trial so starting to experiment with their content again.

Fred and used to listen to lots of KLOL Houston back in the day...... :)
Wow KLOL! It was a big deal. Had a good mix of music and the "Stevens and Pruett Show". :-D

DL110luvr
United States of America

Post by DL110luvr » 06 Aug 2019 09:03

The radio (......and I use the term LOOSELY here.....!) in my Mitsubishi Mirage G4 absolutely SUCKS!!
I've installed an "add-on" tuner for Sirius/XM and this is what I use most of the time.....but I'd really like to get a DECENT FM radio.....with a COWL-MOUNTED 31" vertical antenna to replace the POS "stubby" thing on the rear of the car roof!!
Heck....a really good car radio, professionally installed, will probably cost me more that the %$#%! CAR!!:(

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 06 Aug 2019 11:34

Listening to music in your car depends on two things: The ability of your car's music system and time/tolerance of the listener.
I can identify that mornings pose a challenge, in that you're concentrating on getting to work so some may not be in the mood for music at that moment. Other times music may not be readily available from radio stations or having the music right there.

I have had cars that were not quite so blessed with music reproduction, in that I would mostly listen to radio news. Then a couple of cars have had decent headunits where listening to music was great (especially now).

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 06 Aug 2019 16:41

Mainly NPR radio. Occasionally gravitating to a usually frustrating fm surfing experience. And usually lasting only minutes with the offerings being ignorant. Sometimes pop in a cd during longer drives.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 06 Aug 2019 18:18

timspell wrote:
06 Aug 2019 04:02
Wow KLOL! It was a big deal. Had a good mix of music and the "Stevens and Pruett Show". :-D
Got me researchin', enjoy:

KTRH :lol: :lol: Kome To the Rice Hotel
rewfew wrote:
06 Aug 2019 16:41
Mainly NPR radio. Occasionally gravitating to a usually frustrating fm surfing experience. And usually lasting only minutes with the offerings being ignorant. Sometimes pop in a cd during longer drives.
=D> =D> =D>
lbls1 wrote:
06 Aug 2019 11:34
.....snippage......
I have had cars that were not quite so blessed with music reproduction, in that I would mostly listen to radio news. Then a couple of cars have had decent headunits where listening to music was great (especially now).
Back in the old days when the OEM radio left much to be desired, replaced mine with a better aftermarket unit and rigged up a headphone jack into the dash..... :-k Much better :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fred

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 09 Aug 2019 22:31

Usually my car radio when on is on NPR (WUOT-FM 91.9) or WDVX-FM 89.9, and sometimes the oldies station WTNQ, 104.9.