Mrs. Pogo dodges another bullet

anything and nothing
pogo
long player
long player

Mrs. Pogo dodges another bullet

Post by pogo » 17 Jul 2019 22:25

Went to the ER Thursday morning short of breath and complaining of chest pain. Turned out to be a large clot in the pulmonary artery blocking blood flow to both lungs. Treatment was incredibly effective and relatively quick -- an eight hour infusion of very high dose blood thinners accompanied by ultrasound broke it up. I continue to be amazed by what medical science can do for things that would have been fatal a few decades ago.
This treatment is so severe it has be administered in an Intensive Care setting. We learned about a syndrome I'd never heard of. On the afternoon day two she began to seem completely irrational. Her nurse told me about ICU delirium -- apparently happens to as many as one in five patients. He said (btw there are an incredible number of male nurses these days) that a good nights sleep would fix her right up. Morning of the third day she was ready to go home. I'm still not sure she understands that this was a life threatening event. I guess is you nearly die you feel like it should take longer than a day to recover.

Her main reminder of the event is a multitude of bruises and hematomas. The strength of the blood thinners cause significant amounts of subcutaneous bleeding. She looks like someone beat her with a bat.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Mrs. Pogo dodges another bullet

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Jul 2019 01:40

Glad she's okay. That must have been very scary.
All the best to both of you.

Cheers,
Alec

pogo
long player
long player

Post by pogo » 18 Jul 2019 02:47

Thanks. Scary would be an understatement.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 20 Jul 2019 16:06

Pulmonary embolism. When I did ct. I saw a few of them. It's a life threatening event. She may have had a clot elsewhere in her body. Legs are a good starting point. Recent trauma can be a precursor. And, yes, many men have gotten into nursing. The pay is good and it's challenging work. Unfortunately made more challenging from the medical industrial complex. Corporatized medicine dictates patient nurse ratios that are dangerous.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 20 Jul 2019 16:17

Wow, what a post Señor Pogo :shock:

I add my best wishes to you and your family. Episodes like this are a reminder that all we really have is the present.

Best from the Pampas,

roberto

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 20 Jul 2019 16:42

So glad you did not ignore it. As a cardiac patient myself, you don't have much time with some of these things. Good on you to go to Emerg. In Canada, healthcare is free but people still sit on it thinking it will be fine. Best wishes to both of you on a speedy recovery.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Jul 2019 19:26

Pogo, we're all with you here...Well wishes to the both of you and knowing first hand a thing or two about blood clots (They think one might have been partly to blame for my dad's death, along with the arteriosclerosis and chemotherapy drukqs from going through the cancer, although he was in remission at the time...), I hope that the road for both of you is much smoother from now on...Keep us posted on her progress! :)

Still, as I like to say, no news is good news...Take good care of her, as she needs you now! :D

pogo
long player
long player

Post by pogo » 20 Jul 2019 20:13

vinyl master wrote:
20 Jul 2019 19:26
Pogo, we're all with you here...Well wishes to the both of you and knowing first hand a thing or two about blood clots (They think one might have been partly to blame for my dad's death, along with the arteriosclerosis and chemotherapy drukqs from going through the cancer, although he was in remission at the time...), I hope that the road for both of you is much smoother from now on...Keep us posted on her progress! :)
Actually, that's another thing we learned last week. Apparently Cancer and clots have a significant statistical correlation. But as always it's expressed in relative terms. X% increased risk. Now that we're two and a half years down the road on her cancer treatment and followup you would have thought that someone would mention it as something to be mindful of. Especially since she clearly had existing risk factors for DVT. My analytical side says that the fact that it never came up means the oncologists think it's an unlikely result.
Take good care of her, as she needs you now!
You fail to understand my selfish motives. I need her! :)

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 22 Jul 2019 13:17

Wishing a full recovery for Mrs. Pogo from this episode. [-o<

Fred

Dutchy

Post by Dutchy » 22 Jul 2019 20:26

Here's wishes for a full recovery from this side of the pond.....

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 23 Jul 2019 18:37

Good to hear they treated it in time, and I hope she has a full and speedy recovery as well. I had some unsettling medical news myself last Monday regarding an ultrasound check showing excessive turbulance of a bypass surgery my mother had just over 2 -1\2 years back. In her case, our local hospital had overlooked a clot blocking blood flow to her arm, and she went another week in extreme pain, before a larger hospital discovered the clot and promptly scheduled a bypass operation. She is just now regaining some of her strength in that arm, but once again is awaiting a CT scan and possibly another procedure.

pogo
long player
long player

Post by pogo » 23 Jul 2019 19:13

Good luck to her and you.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 13 Aug 2019 01:47

Best wishes to Mrs. Pogo and you.

Bobber05

Post by Bobber05 » 23 Aug 2019 03:31

Getting old sucks.
Beats the alternative I suppose.
Is God a belt drive man?
Only one way to find out.
Can I keep my login here when I pass over?
Can I then report back on extended vinyl sessions over whiskey and cigars with Walt Kelly, Farley Mowat, and Winston Churchill?

Godspeed Mr & Mrs Pogo, make every day matter.