Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Let's Talk Photography!

Post by Tinkaroo » 16 Jul 2019 22:01

vinyl master wrote:
16 Jul 2019 21:45
Very nice, Tink!! =D> And it's good that you're in an area with a lot of colorful natural scenery...Just curious, but have you taken any pics in and around the Maritimes (e.g. Cape Breton, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, etc.)? :-k
Thanks vinyl master!

Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of those places but I've been to all of them except Newfoundland some time in the past. If I do get back to some of them I'll get some photos. There is a lot to see and take photos of locally in the meantime.

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 16 Jul 2019 22:39

Tinkaroo wrote:
09 Jul 2019 22:54

I have a Sony 100mm macro lens that also takes excellent sharp photos at the longer distance as well as close up. I also have the Minolta 50mm macro. Many of the Sony A mount lenses were rebadged versions of the Minoltas. The Tamron 90mm macro in the Sony mount is supposed to be pretty good. My Konica-Minolta 17-35 f2.8-4 was actually made for them by Tamron.

It's harder to get a zoom that's good in low light like an f1.4,1.7 or 1.8 prime. A zoom allows you to stand in one spot and frame a subject in a photo but they often have ranges like f4-5.6. Some of the better ones are f3.5-4.5 or a straight f2.8 through the focal range for an expensive zoom. Some of the primes can be exceptionally sharp whereas zooms need to be stopped down to get the optimal sharpness. They can sometimes be less than optimal at their extremes of focal range.

If you have any questions on that older Sony DSLR that I can help you with don't hesitate to ask.
Hi Tink,

sorry for slow reply and thank you for the offer of help/info on the Sony cameras. This had been my intention, a used Sony DSLR, looking around and online they seem to go from £100 - £200+ depending on condition, accessories, lenses included etc. Looked at an A580 and an A58 amongst others. This would let me use my old Minolta lenses till such time as I might upgrade.

However, since last we spoke, life and situations conspired to throw me a curve ball - which I duly caught! :roll:

So I needed a new computer, been putting it off for too long, anyway local store had a good deal on last years model, so I took the plunge. It needed doing and I'm pleased I did, so all good.
They also have a camera section, I know, why did I even go and look!? Wallet is already unhappy at buying computer! But look I do of course and see an Olympus OMD E10 mkII at a very good reduced price - but I resisted, that is until I went back a couple of days later to pick up the new computer and it was still there (last one!) so I bought it, of course I did. Poor wallet. :(

So why the E10 mkII, you may be wondering, how did we get here? :-k

I only really became aware of the OMD cameras quite recently, when I saw one in a local secondhand store, guess I've been rather focused on the Sony cameras (ha ha). I really liked the look of these cameras - nostalgia (oh yes!). Prior to buying my Minolta kit I used to borrow a friends OM10, (he was working and I was still a poor student) so it's a camera I got to know well - it was a very popular starter camera and with the optional manual adaptor very versatile.

Anyway since seeing the E10 mkII, I'd been reading reviews and stuff, it seemed well liked and actually fitted my immediate needs well. Something better than my current basic pocket camera, not too expensive, mirrorless, so a small form factor and as I said, I liked the looks. Haven't had chance to really try it out yet, but feeling it was a good buy. Hope so! The joy of the four thirds system await! A Sony isn't completely off the cards, but will certainly have to wait a while.

I should add that a few years back, when it seemed everyone was selling off their old film cameras I did buy an OM10 and an OM2 along with assorted lenses and flash guns etc. So there is history! I feel it's only on places like VE that any of this is understood.

Anyway I rather feel I've hijacked this thread with tales of my photographic journey - and I haven't even posted a pic of a lighthouse - yet! :)

Paul
ps. nice pics by the way.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 16 Jul 2019 23:09

Your new Olympus E10 MK II looks like a really nice camera Paul! 8)

The retro styling looks super and it has a lot of great features too. I will look forward to seeing a photo or two taken with it when you get a chance to photograph something you feel like sharing.

I wasn't sure exactly where a four thirds sensor size fit in terms of sensor size but see it is between the 1" sensor on my Sony RX-100 and a C sized sensor as used on my Sony A700.

Do you just have the one lens for it?

Sorry to hear about your computer, but hope the new one proves better.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jul 2019 23:14

Tinkaroo wrote:
16 Jul 2019 22:01
vinyl master wrote:
16 Jul 2019 21:45
Very nice, Tink!! =D> And it's good that you're in an area with a lot of colorful natural scenery...Just curious, but have you taken any pics in and around the Maritimes (e.g. Cape Breton, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, etc.)? :-k
Thanks vinyl master!

Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of those places but I've been to all of them except Newfoundland some time in the past. If I do get back to some of them I'll get some photos. There is a lot to see and take photos of locally in the meantime.
Cool, Tink!! 8) By the way, just like we have Mushroom Houses here in Michigan, esp. in Charlevoix...

...you have the Bottle Houses on Prince Edward Island...

Might be worth seeing, if you've never been there... :-k

Here are a few pics I took while strolling around the Mushroom Houses a few years back, for example...Forgive the time stamp, as I was using a digital camera at the time... 8-[

Anyway, enjoy! :)

Some of those look like they came straight out of "The Hobbit", no??? :-k :D

Anyway, all I know is that...

Worth seeing if you ever plan a trip to Northern Michigan! Notice how green everything is in summer, too! :mrgreen:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 16 Jul 2019 23:43

Those are some very cool looking and unique houses vinyl master! 8)

Did you have any hobbit sightings while you were there? :wink:

They look very cool and well shaded in the summer. The 50 shades of green remind me of Ireland!

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 17 Jul 2019 10:31

Love some of those houses...

I tried many years ago to master photographing fireworks and managed to get some decent shots...
Fireworks_0025_Small.jpg
(59.8 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Fireworks_0056_Small.jpg
(17.03 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Fireworks_0063_Small.jpg
(15.94 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Fireworks_0095_Small.jpg
(41.27 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Fireworks_0099_Small.jpg
(28.61 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 17 Jul 2019 10:34

And some more...
Fireworks_0097_Small.jpg
(30.85 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Fireworks_0101_Small.jpg
(39.81 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Fireworks_0120_Small.jpg
(14.46 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
...and probably my two favourites: -
Fireworks_0170_Small.jpg
(16.59 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Fireworks_0121_Small.jpg
(17.83 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 17 Jul 2019 10:37

I even got my niece to play with her 'light stick' and I thought they came out well...
Fireworks_0194_Small.jpg
(14.22 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Fireworks_0196_Small.jpg
(22.27 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 17 Jul 2019 12:01

Some very nice and interesting photos Tony! =D>

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 18 Jul 2019 18:17

Tinkaroo wrote:
16 Jul 2019 23:09
Your new Olympus E10 MK II looks like a really nice camera Paul! 8)

The retro styling looks super and it has a lot of great features too. I will look forward to seeing a photo or two taken with it when you get a chance to photograph something you feel like sharing.

I wasn't sure exactly where a four thirds sensor size fit in terms of sensor size but see it is between the 1" sensor on my Sony RX-100 and a C sized sensor as used on my Sony A700.

Do you just have the one lens for it?

Sorry to hear about your computer, but hope the new one proves better.
Thanks Tink, yeah I liked it! Hope it proves a good buy, sometimes you have to just 'dive in'. I'll share some pics soon, hopefully spend some time with it over the weekend. Wonder if it has an 'easy' button? :)
I have just the supplied lens the 'pancake' 14-42mm. Some kits also came with the 45-150mm. But as the price was good, I could add that or something else and still be a few quid up on the deal! All in due course.

There's a good explanation of the four thirds system here, and how the rather odd name came about, the guy is a bit full on, but worth a look and it's only 10mins long: www.youtube.com/watch?v=m072i-jDSg4
He also mentions 'bokeh' and depth of field v sensor size, which is something I hadn't really thought about.

The old mac is eleven and well behind the current OS. I think the final straw was just the other week when four or five websites in a row just wouldn't open or display correctly (no security, your browser is out of date, etc etc.). Enough!
But most of the other programmes/apps still work fine, if a little slower, so we will re-purpose it in some way - too good to bin!

Paul

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 19 Jul 2019 09:38

I watched the video which gave a bit of background on where the Micro Four Thirds system name comes from, and some other useful info.

According to the info your 14-42 mm lens is the equivalent of a 28-84 mm lens on a full frame which would be a useful range for a lot of photography. You will probably want something with a bit more reach some time down the road for telephoto use.

I hope you get a chance to play with it a bit on the weekend just to get your feet wet and gain some familiarity with its handling and features. I'm sure it will be fun.

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 22 Jul 2019 22:25

Hi Tink,

yeah the 'conversion' is nice and easy, just double things up and your within a whisker of where you should be. So yes 28-84mm is where I'm at, which is close to the 35-70 that came with the Minolta 9000. The 9000 came as body only and the short zooms were becoming a popular option rather than the then 'standard' 50mm lens, which was often packaged with new slr's.
Re telephoto, there is the base model 45-150 Olympus f/4-5.6 which gets good reviews, taking it's price of around £100 new in to account. Not as good as the Pro f/2.8 but a lot cheaper, so maybe one to consider in due course.

Well I would have gotten my feet wet at the start of the weekend - rain! Later bright sunshine and now we are baking in around 28 -30 degrees - phew! All this plus unexpected guests and 'stuff' to do has meant I've not had as much time with the new toys as I would like, but the good weather is set to continue so hopefully during the week I'll grab a bit of time.

Will posts thoughts and hopefully some pics as time permits.

Paul

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Jul 2019 10:02

paul401 wrote:
22 Jul 2019 22:25
Hi Tink,

yeah the 'conversion' is nice and easy, just double things up and your within a whisker of where you should be. So yes 28-84mm is where I'm at, which is close to the 35-70 that came with the Minolta 9000. The 9000 came as body only and the short zooms were becoming a popular option rather than the then 'standard' 50mm lens, which was often packaged with new slr's.
Re telephoto, there is the base model 45-150 Olympus f/4-5.6 which gets good reviews, taking it's price of around £100 new in to account. Not as good as the Pro f/2.8 but a lot cheaper, so maybe one to consider in due course.

Well I would have gotten my feet wet at the start of the weekend - rain! Later bright sunshine and now we are baking in around 28 -30 degrees - phew! All this plus unexpected guests and 'stuff' to do has meant I've not had as much time with the new toys as I would like, but the good weather is set to continue so hopefully during the week I'll grab a bit of time.

Will posts thoughts and hopefully some pics as time permits.

Paul
Yes, the 24-84 equivalent lens sounds like a good walk around lens and if you get the longer lens sometime in the future that could also be useful in some situations where you need the extra reach.

The full f 2.8 versions are always expensive no matter what the format! #-o

I can see how visitors and 30 C temperatures could put a damper on too much extra curricular activities. It's a similar situation here at the moment, and we welcome the occasional cooling fog bank. =D>

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 02 Aug 2019 15:04

Here are a couple of mine (the "artistic values" might scale in a non linear fashion):
7.png
(222.53 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
6.png
(150.49 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
4.png
(712.23 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
1.png
(127.03 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
2.png
(173.32 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Everything shot with a 5 megapixel phone camera. I am too lazy to carry a big camera with me.. #-o
Last edited by Solist on 02 Aug 2019 15:32, edited 3 times in total.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 02 Aug 2019 15:05

3.png
(42.31 KiB) Downloaded 35 times