Let's Talk Photography!

anything and nothing
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Let's Talk Photography!

Post by Tinkaroo » 24 Jun 2019 13:04

These are for vinyl master. A couple of lighthouses on the French Shore of Nova Scotia, plus a monument to those lost at sea at St Mary's Bay.

Taken with a Sony HX80 pocket camera.
Lighthouse St Marys Bay R.jpg
(83.08 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Monument St Marys Bay R.jpg
(103.76 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Lighthouse Gilberts Cove R.jpg
(134.97 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 24 Jun 2019 23:50

Tinkaroo wrote:
23 Jun 2019 10:05
paul401 wrote:
22 Jun 2019 20:21
well this was pretty much my first slr kit, back when it was first released. The 9000, 35-70, 70-210 ('beer-can' so called as it was the size of a beer-can!), and 4000 flash. I soon added the MD90 motor drive + battery pack and then over time added/acquired various other bits, as you do, including the 1200 ring flash, the two smaller flash units 2800 and 1800, off camera 'shoe attachment, a 7000 body and a couple more lenses.
It was great piece of kit, and I still have it all, stored in a selection of camera bags. Still all good (afaik) with the exception of the usual 'bleed' on the 9000 lcd.

The auto focus was still quite a novelty back then, it worked well enough, but very slow compared to modern cameras. However auto-focus wasn't my reason for choosing the Minolta, I wanted 'spot -metering' common enough today, but quite rare back then, so my choice was, Minolta 9000, Canon T90, Nikon F3 (possibly the 4?) and Olympus OM4. The Canon was a bit 'blobby' looking, the Nikon (and associated lenses) where expensive, so finally the good reviews and perhaps the novelty of the auto-focus swayed me to choose the Minolta over the Olympus. No regrets, a great camera that gave me a lot of pleasure over the years.

Paul
I read that one of the reasons for the slower auto focus in the 9000 was the voltage of the batteries used.My newer DSLR uses a 7.2 volt lithium battery but the older 9000 used 3 volts.

Thankfully some of the lenses other than later xi lenses(power zoom) also have manual focus,focus hold or focus limiters if needed.

Yes, spot metering is a great feature so a welcome addition.

This article explains the features and innovations of the groundbreaking Minolta 9000:
http://cjo.info/classic-cameras/minolta-9000/
Hi Tink,
I must admit I had never given any thought to the focus speed being related to the power available, interesting. Again the ability to run the camera off two AA batteries was a definite plus for me, no charging/recharging, readily available at most stores and if out for the day just take a dozen or so and no power worries! Though the motor drive was pretty heavy!
The faster focussing and the addition/availability of power zooms on the later models would have been a stretch for two AA's, hence the change/upgrade to lithium batteries.

Sorry to hear your x700 got stolen, I know you can always get a replacement for lost/stolen items, but somehow, and ridiculous as it sounds it never seems quite the same.

I'm still pleased to have the 9000 and as mentioned to have had some real use from it. It certainly pushed the boundaries at the time even if it inevitably fell short in some respects, due to the available tech. A four star classic?
Still, as you mentioned the lenses will work on the Sony 'A' fit alpha cameras, sadly attachments like the ring flash (four independent tubes and full ttl metering) are pretty much museum pieces.

Paul

ps guys, loving the lighthouse pics.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 25 Jun 2019 09:39

My Minolta X-700 system was a good one that I was pretty happy with, but when I had to replace it the photography store convinced me to get the new 7xi which had auto focus, power zooms and program cards. The power zooms tended to eat batteries, but allowed the camera to do some amazing things too. Eventually that film system was replaced with a digital Sony A100, then a Sony A700 and A850. The A100 was the first Sony after they bought Minolta`s camera division and was based on the Minolta 7D digital as was the later A700.

The A700 is a C sized sensor and the A850 is a full frame sensor which is equivalent to the old 35 mm film negative. They both use the same batteries which is good for me, and one battery is good for 450-500 shots. I can also get spare OEM batteries at reasonable prices as spares, and used lenses at better prices since Sony switched mounting systems to their mirror-less cameras.

However lenses used on a C sized sensor act differently on a full frame. A 100 mm lens on the full frame will act as a 150 mm on the C sized sensor. Then you also have lenses designed for C sized sensors only and they will not give the full benefit of the full frame sensor on the full frame camera. It then gets a bit tricky to choose lenses that will work with the camera you are going to use and the type of shooting you are going to do.That crop factor can sometimes be an advantage in a 100-300 mm lens being able to give good magnification at a distance for birds. It's a disadvantage for tight quarters and indoors where your 50 mm acts as a 75 mm.

If I`m out and don`t have my DSLRs I usually have my pocket camera with me which is what I used for the last lighthouse pictures. It has a pop up OLED(optical LED) viewfinder which allows you to see what the sensor sees and compose a photo even in bright sunlight.Trying to compose a photo on a screen in the bright sunlight is next to impossible. The zoom also has a very wide range which is useful.The disadvantage is the smaller sensor compared to the DSLR. It`s also trickier to frame a photo with the zoom on the smaller camera. Still its nice to have something handy if the mood to take a photo strikes.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 25 Jun 2019 13:42

It just goes to prove the old adage, the best camera you have is the one with you at the time! :-)

I have 3 digital and 2 film cameras: -

EOS 10D, 50D and 7D MkII. All Canon Digitals...

EOS 10, T90. Both film. T90 uses manual focus FD lenses. Used it to get shots like this: -
CarlFornetJumpSmall.jpg
Le Fornet, Val D'Isere
(49.35 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 26 Jun 2019 09:56

Tonybro wrote:
25 Jun 2019 13:42
It just goes to prove the old adage, the best camera you have is the one with you at the time! :-)

EOS 10, T90. Both film. T90 uses manual focus FD lenses. Used it to get shots like this: -

CarlFornetJumpSmall.jpg
That sounds like some great gear and a super action shot too! 8)

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 01 Jul 2019 23:06

Tinkaroo wrote:
25 Jun 2019 09:39
My Minolta X-700 system was a good one that I was pretty happy with, but when I had to replace it the photography store convinced me to get the new 7xi which had auto focus, power zooms and program cards. The power zooms tended to eat batteries, but allowed the camera to do some amazing things too. Eventually that film system was replaced with a digital Sony A100, then a Sony A700 and A850. The A100 was the first Sony after they bought Minolta`s camera division and was based on the Minolta 7D digital as was the later A700.
Hi Tink,

wow a real trip down memory lane here - the programme cards, I'd forgotten those! I kept track of the Minolta updates and newer models, but in the end the old 9000 saw me through till digital took over. I've actually made do with a small Minolta pocket digital and more recently a more up to date Sony, these have served my needs well enough. Now however I would like to again spend more time on photography so I'm starting to look at some newer / better kit.
Obviously would be good to utilise some of the old/existing lenses if possible, so yes, might well still have all the sensor size/lens lengths conundrum to deal with.

Your lighthouse pics and having a high quality pocket camera to hand have also given me food for thought as to how I might use or split my budget - but all in due course I've a few other priorities to sort first, like moving!
Tonybro wrote:
25 Jun 2019 13:42

EOS 10, T90. Both film. T90 uses manual focus FD lenses.
Very true Tony, it also reminds a little of something one of the photography tutors said back in my college days, when asked about what camera to buy, "choose the camera you want to pick up and hold". Yes the specs matter, and ensuring it fit your needs etc. but the camera you want to pick up and use is the one that will get you taking photos.
Some nice kit there.

Paul

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 02 Jul 2019 14:46

Good luck with your move Paul!

A good pocket camera is always a handy thing to have along. I had a Canon that was pretty good but found the Sony HX80 and RX100 to be excellent upgrades. The HX80 has the pop up OLED and an amazing zoom range, while the RX100 has a larger sensor and better low light capability but not as big a zoom range.

Sony changed their mounting system to the E Mount a few years back. I have one E mount the Nex-3. One thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a built in OLED which makes composing in the daylight almost impossible.

I really prefer the old style DSLRs even though Sony has gotten away from them, and my focus has been to get the best quality lenses I can for them within a reasonable budget. Towards that goal I recently acquired:
- 50 mm 1.4
- 85 mm 1.4
-16-50mm 2.8
-70-200mm 2.8

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Jul 2019 12:12

Further to my goal of getting better lenses for my cameras, I managed to pick up a Minolta 20mm f2.8 prime lens mostly for the benefit of my full frame camera. It uses a 72mm filter.

I have 24 and 28mm primes but the 20mm will give an angle of view of 94 degrees as opposed to 47 degrees that a 50mm lens would give on a full frame.

The asking price was reasonable, but since he was open to offers I managed to knock another 25 bucks off that.

The only wider prime lens available is a 16mm fisheye and I also have a 16-50 and 17-35 zooms.

What do you guys think? Is the 20mm a useful pick up?

Anyone have any experience with wide angle primes or even a fisheye lens?

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 09 Jul 2019 22:19

Hi Tink,
you are a bad influence, all this camera talk, I've been spending too much time online looking at camera kit - a better pocket camera, an older SonyDSLR (for those even older Minolta lenses) etc. This will not do, I've a home to find first!

As to your question, I have no real experience of wide or fisheye primes, always fancied one but think the lowest I have is 28mm on the end of a zoom. I would say that if you can find a prime at a good price it's well worth getting.
A while back I was helping a friend with some pics of small guitar parts, we used a Sony mirrorless with 90mm Tamron lens, there was something really nice about using a fixed lens and I think this applies whatever the length of lens.
We set it up on the tripod, adjusted for framing and then placed each part in frame/shot as required - it seemed a calm and simple way of working - no moving back and forth zooming in and out etc. it seemed to take you closer to the actual photography, if that makes sense.
Zooms (and optics generally) have improved so much that they are the norm - and they are great, but a fixed prime takes things back to the basics a little - maybe a case of less is more?

Paul

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Jul 2019 22:54

paul401 wrote:
09 Jul 2019 22:19
Hi Tink,
you are a bad influence, all this camera talk, I've been spending too much time online looking at camera kit - a better pocket camera, an older SonyDSLR (for those even older Minolta lenses) etc. This will not do, I've a home to find first!

As to your question, I have no real experience of wide or fisheye primes, always fancied one but think the lowest I have is 28mm on the end of a zoom. I would say that if you can find a prime at a good price it's well worth getting.
A while back I was helping a friend with some pics of small guitar parts, we used a Sony mirrorless with 90mm Tamron lens, there was something really nice about using a fixed lens and I think this applies whatever the length of lens.
We set it up on the tripod, adjusted for framing and then placed each part in frame/shot as required - it seemed a calm and simple way of working - no moving back and forth zooming in and out etc. it seemed to take you closer to the actual photography, if that makes sense.
Zooms (and optics generally) have improved so much that they are the norm - and they are great, but a fixed prime takes things back to the basics a little - maybe a case of less is more?

Paul
Sorry about that! #-o

That is what vinyl master does to me with vintage receivers and turntables! :cry:

I have a Sony 100mm macro lens that also takes excellent sharp photos at the longer distance as well as close up. I also have the Minolta 50mm macro. Many of the Sony A mount lenses were rebadged versions of the Minoltas. The Tamron 90mm macro in the Sony mount is supposed to be pretty good. My Konica-Minolta 17-35 f2.8-4 was actually made for them by Tamron.

It's harder to get a zoom that's good in low light like an f1.4,1.7 or 1.8 prime. A zoom allows you to stand in one spot and frame a subject in a photo but they often have ranges like f4-5.6. Some of the better ones are f3.5-4.5 or a straight f2.8 through the focal range for an expensive zoom. Some of the primes can be exceptionally sharp whereas zooms need to be stopped down to get the optimal sharpness. They can sometimes be less than optimal at their extremes of focal range.

If you have any questions on that older Sony DSLR that I can help you with don't hesitate to ask.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 13 Jul 2019 01:24

I knew I had a lighthouse image around here somewhere.

http://gorgephotos.com/images/vinylengi ... house2.jpg

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jul 2019 15:42

terry-a wrote:
13 Jul 2019 01:24
I knew I had a lighthouse image around here somewhere.

http://gorgephotos.com/images/vinylengi ... house2.jpg
Don't they just photograph fantastically, terry??? :D

Do you know which lighthouse that is? :-k

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 13 Jul 2019 20:41

Yes, they do. Unfortunately I'm not around them as often as I was when I was a kid.

This is the Mark Abbott Memorial Lighthouse, home of the Santa Cruz Surfing Museum, Santa Cruz California.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 16 Jul 2019 14:00

Boat Being Painted R.jpg
(174.1 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
This is a boat getting a fresh paint job and repairs in the boat repair slip at Annapolis Royal
Lobster Boats Low Tide Delaps Cove R.jpg
(201.9 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Here are some local lobster boats at low tide.
Lobster Boat Better Days R.jpg
(255.07 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
This lobster boat which was once someone's pride and joy now sitting abandoned and decaying.
Butterfly July 2019 R.JPG
(80.09999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
A Canadian Tiger Swallowtail butterfly enjoying the sun.

Some recent photos. The first three taken with my pocket Sony HX80V camera and the last with my Sony A700 DSLR and a Minolta 100-300 APO lens.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jul 2019 21:45

Very nice, Tink!! =D> And it's good that you're in an area with a lot of colorful natural scenery...Just curious, but have you taken any pics in and around the Maritimes (e.g. Cape Breton, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, etc.)? :-k