France

Re: t the time

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 01 Apr 2019 17:48

dysmike wrote:
31 Mar 2019 13:40
Now, let's go made pinhole cameras.
=D>

I've made a few and loved them all

So did the students of the workshop where I worked. Of course, this was an art oriented workshop so that we didn't look at things quite the same way as in the wedding workshop I attended. It was given by one of the top wedding photographer of the time (in the USA, that is) and I was so disgusted by what I heard that I left before the end

80% about money (how to get more from the customer) and 20% about photography. And this part was mostly about the money shots (sounds a bit like p**n) you needed to be successful. Financially that is. The photography was not going to win any prize in any show I ever participated in. All the weddings looked the same. Different colors and different heads but otherwise the same.

Now I don't mean to offend anyone with my talk of snobbery but it was how it was presented to me when I was told to get a medium format camera... But maybe my location at the time, a wedding photo story and an audio story will help you get it. In the meantime, I didn't see anyone from the good old USA having a problem with that statement. Or the one about wedding photography being a racket.

Anyway, I lived in Washington DC at the time where appearance is way more important than reality. As it is most often in politics everywhere...

Wedding story = This was told by the friend I bought the Hassy from and who used to work for the National Geographic. The photo editor one day got a call from a well-to-do personality asking for one of his photogs to shoot her child's wedding. He politely said he didn't thing anyone was available but he would pass the message. And so he did. One photog jokingly said he would do it for $25,000. Shoot only. He would hand over the films at the end of the day and that was it!

For $25,000 at that time, you could almost buy my townhouse...

Mother said yes.

By the time I left the USA, this kind of money was not unusual for a wedding photographer but at the time of this story, it was a ridiculous amount. Especially since no prints, albums or wall-size portraits (you know, the ones the medium format is actually useful for) were included.

Audio story = When trying to make a living as an artist I had many side jobs. One of those was installing audio systems for an upscale Hi-Fi store. One day I got a call for an install but the speakers were going to be delivered straight to the customer and I would have the help of two people for the day.

Really?

Went straight to the store to see what the hell was going on and was presented with speakers that obviously could not fit in my van.

Four towers, 2 on each side, over 2 meters high that, I was told, the store could not keep in stock despite the price of $80,000 (over the price of my townhouse). WTF do I know? I figured they were amazing. I asked if I could hear them. :shock:

They had $2,000 a pair speakers that sounded better.

Welcome to DC and snob.

Back for a few more words. I would really hate to think of anyone thinking DC is nothing but snob-city.

It is not. There are many things I love/like about that place.

For one, it is the second biggest movie city in the USA. Yes, after LA, this is where the most movies are produced. Ask if you want more details.

Then, it's a huge theater city. Lots and lots of good theater. Sorry Mr. President Lincoln.

Last but not least, great music around town. Fugazi anyone? Or, on the softer side, Eva Cassidy?

terry-a

Re: Let's Talk Photography!

Post by terry-a » 02 Apr 2019 01:33

If Eva Cassidy is playing I'm heading to DC.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Apr 2019 06:28

terry-a wrote:
01 Apr 2019 02:21
I shoot because I enjoy the process. I learned a long time ago that the only person I need to please is myself. I share my work only occasionally. Here are a few:

http://gorgephotos.com/images/vinylengi ... os/ff1.jpg
http://gorgephotos.com/images/vinylengi ... os/ff5.jpg
http://gorgephotos.com/images/vinylengi ... s/ff18.jpg
http://gorgephotos.com/images/vinylengi ... s/ff26.jpg
http://gorgephotos.com/images/vinylengi ... s/ff32.jpg
Terry-a, I am MESMERIZED by those...You have a very good eye, but it's almost as if the pictures have a life of their own and they are speaking to me...Have you ever had any of those framed or sold them as prints? :-k I could imagine some of your photos hanging as artwork in a gallery or someone's home...They look so ethereal! =D>

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 02 Apr 2019 16:57

terry-a wrote:
02 Apr 2019 01:33
If Eva Cassidy is playing I'm heading to DC.
Well, I would to. But unlikely. Considering.

Where are you from? Back when she was alive and singing, she was barely known outside the city limits.

Recently found her as part of a duet on a disc from 2008....?!?!

Don't usually like this kind of deal but it was so nice to hear Eva's voice on a track on someone's disc who was barely 3yo when Eva passed that I allowed myself to enjoy it. :D

Let's get back to the subject of this thread: photography.
PA.JPG
(120.26 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
This is one you will never see in the digital photo world. Physically impossible.

Although this one was not part of my first show, it is the same technique.

And, yes, my show was a bit controversial. Just a bit because I wasn't not a well known artists but, hey, who doesn't love some controversy. :lol:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 02 Apr 2019 17:45

An interesting photo Pierre! =D>

Why would you say it's physically impossible to take it with digital?

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 02 Apr 2019 18:17

Tinkaroo wrote:
02 Apr 2019 17:45

Thank you.

It is impossible because it can only happen in a real darkroom. Not a digital darkroom.

I will explain later if no-one else does but I want to see if some of the old timers figure it out.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 02 Apr 2019 20:56

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
02 Apr 2019 18:17
Tinkaroo wrote:
02 Apr 2019 17:45

Thank you.

It is impossible because it can only happen in a real darkroom. Not a digital darkroom.

I will explain later if no-one else does but I want to see if some of the old timers figure it out.
Splish, splash, I was taking a bath ...

Cheers,
Alec

ethorn66
United States of America

Post by ethorn66 » 03 Apr 2019 01:21

Hey guys, this is a great thread! You all have fascinating photos and stories!
terry-a, those are some awesome photos and very similar to pics I look for! I say pics because all of mine are taken on my HTC ONE M8 phone. So, I am truly an amateur at photography...I did take photography as a teenager at school. I learned how to develop black and white photos!😉

This is my favorite pic I took when visiting my daughter at college in Western North Carolina.
It was taken at Waterrock Knob lookout on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Sunset in October at 6300 feet elevation.

I call it Eye of God
Eye of God 1 Waterrock Knob Overlook.jpg
Eye of God
(51.01 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 03 Apr 2019 06:45

Very nice, ethorn66...You have some beautiful scenery down there! =D>

The title is very apropos, too! :)

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 03 Apr 2019 09:35

Thanks for sharing your sunset photo Ethorn66.

I really like the colors! 8)

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 03 Apr 2019 10:24

Evangeline 1 R.jpg
(126.78 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
This is a statue of Evangeline from the poem by Longfellow taken at Grand Pre, Nova Scotia a few years ago. Grand Pre is the site of the expulsion of the Acadians from what is now Nova Scotia by the British in 1755. The Acadians had lived here since 1604.
Stained Glass Grand Pre R.jpg
(167.9 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Here is some stained glass from inside the church.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 03 Apr 2019 11:32

Alec124c41 wrote:
02 Apr 2019 20:56
Splish, splash, I was taking a bath ...
Correct. Although all analog photography took baths.

This is a chemichal reaction on photo paper. Black and white paper, by the way; I never did any color printing. The 90° angles you see were created when other sheets of paper were in contact. Due to the silver content of photo paper, some of the images had parts with a metallic sheen to them.

None in the example I showed but some had incredible colors too. I always wondered what would happen in the long run but, 40 years later, the few I still have show no signs of evolving.

ethorn66
United States of America

Post by ethorn66 » 03 Apr 2019 13:40

Thanks VM and Tink! I enjoy being out in nature and the beauty it presents repeatedly! Sometimes I have the opportunity to catch some amazing and awesome moments by chance! Here's another pic from Waterrock Knob.
Misty Mountain Hop at Dusk.jpg
Misty Mountain Hop at Dusk
(56.75 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
VM I love light house's also! I have a couple from the Outer Banks.
IMAG2397.jpg
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
(60 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
IMAG2393.jpg
Bodie Island Lighthouse
(57.7 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Apr 2019 02:18

ethorn66 wrote:
03 Apr 2019 13:40

VM I love light house's also! I have a couple from the Outer Banks.

IMAG2397.jpg
IMAG2393.jpg
You know, ethorn...My vinyl mentor lives out in the Outer Banks near Kill Devil Hills in Nags Head (after living 13 years here in Michigan), but even I don't think he has seen all the lighthouses from Currituck to Ocracoke! =D>

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 04 Apr 2019 03:11

vinyl master wrote:
02 Apr 2019 06:28

Terry-a, I am MESMERIZED by those...You have a very good eye, but it's almost as if the pictures have a life of their own and they are speaking to me...Have you ever had any of those framed or sold them as prints? :-k I could imagine some of your photos hanging as artwork in a gallery or someone's home...They look so ethereal! =D>
VM,

Thank you. I do have many of these framed. Some hang in my home. Some hang in someone else's home. I sell prints and/or framed prints occasionally. Some of these have hung in galleries for a period. The photo with the rain over the river was used in a Pentax print ad in a trade journal. That was quite an honor, considering all the photos out there to choose from. It was also a reasonably nice payday.

Making a business out of this would take a huge amount of energy. I've been on the edge of it and took the fun out of if. Plus, most of the successful photographers who sell out of galleries around here take what I call post card shots. I just can't make myself do that. I have to try my best to wreck them. If they look too clean and perfect they just don't do much for me.

I also kind of cheat. I live in the Columbia River Gorge, which is very photogenic. It's pretty easy to find good shots around here.