Canada

Re: Let's Talk Photography!

Post by Tinkaroo » 08 Nov 2019 09:55

Alec124c41 wrote:
08 Nov 2019 05:12
First snow, this morning.

Cheers,
Alec
Not pleasant for drivers, but a beautiful picture to mark the changing season! 8)

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 30 Nov 2019 16:34

I haven't found many opportunities to shoot in recent years, but I was poking through the archive today. When I was more active in photography I often leaned toward a vintage look.
http://gorgephotos.com/images/vinylengi ... bridge.jpg
http://gorgephotos.com/images/vinylengi ... estead.jpg
http://gorgephotos.com/images/vinylengi ... e/mill.jpg
http://gorgephotos.com/images/vinylengi ... /truck.jpg

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 30 Nov 2019 17:19

Those are real works of art Terry! 8)

Beautiful! =D>

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 01 Dec 2019 00:57

Tinkaroo wrote:
30 Nov 2019 17:19
Those are real works of art Terry! 8)

Beautiful! =D>
Thank you.

There was a time when I'd sequester myself in my office for days during the winter months, trying to create images that I liked. I learned a lot during the process. The most important thing I learned was that not everyone would like my photos. Once I figured that out I only had to please myself. Not that I always accomplish that.

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 01 Dec 2019 12:19

Lovely photos.

Film or digital?

They look like various effects like selenium toning or orthochromatic film, certainly stunning results.

DS

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 01 Dec 2019 16:24

davidsss wrote:
01 Dec 2019 12:19
Lovely photos.

Film or digital?

They look like various effects like selenium toning or orthochromatic film, certainly stunning results.

DS
Thank you. These were captured digitally, not on film.

My background in photography was like most people in the general public. I carried a point and shoot camera of some sort and took my film to a lab. I got a little more serious when I recognized I was traveling to so many beautiful locations in the western US on mountain biking excursions, so a friend loaned me his ME Super and some lenses. But I found myself frustrated by the results, because of course, having no studio and no knowledge whatsoever of that side of the process I was still handing too much of it over to someone else. And I had no idea what I was doing with regard to the part of the process I did have control over. After a few years carrying the ME Super I switched to digital.

I had no idea what I was doing. It was naive of me to think I could be good at photography. I underestimated the skill and commitment and practice it would take and once I learned this I also learned that not everyone is going to be good at any particular art form just because they want to be. Learning photography was the most difficult thing I ever tried to do. I gave up and put the camera down in disgust more than once. But when I shot, because I was shooting digital and was so addicted to the hobby, I shot a lot. So when I put the camera down for those periods I'd sit in my office forcing myself to learn photoshop. I had a lot of material, albeit crappy material for the most part, to work with. Then after a time I'd forget how frustrated I'd become and pick up the camera again, only to find myself discouraged again some months later and the process would repeat.

I was operating mostly in a vacuum. I picked up the mechanics pretty quickly. I understood how to work a camera, but that didn't translate into the kind of images I was hoping to create, for obvious reasons. It was like driving a car. Everyone knows how to push the gas pedal and the turn the steering wheel. Not everyone is a good driver. I thought I was destined to be a lousy photographer. I spent time at DPR seeking advice but each time I presented an image for criticism, some would like it and others would hate it. I'd then take the advice, change what I was doing, and present something different, only to have the same results. Some would like it while others hated it. And then something happened. I realized that I couldn't please everyone, and that I didn't want that as my goal. In fact, I couldn't have any goal at all. I finally realized that I enjoyed the process and that's what it was about. I enjoyed the way the camera felt in my hands. I enjoyed being outside with my eyes open looking for a photo. I enjoyed getting up early with a plan to go out and shoot. I enjoyed coming back to the office and reviewing the raw material I had captured. I enjoyed challenging myself in photoshop. I used to think to myself "I have a thousand ways to ruin this image and I'm going to try them all." I enjoyed the process of proofing an image, taking it to print, and hanging it on my wall. It was the process that mattered, and nothing else.

I've built my own speakers and plinths for the turntables I've restored and I approach these projects the same way. It turns out, at least for me, that if my priority is the process, rather the the goal, I more easily achieve the goal, even if I haven't really defined one. Everything in life for me is better when it's about the process rather than the goal.

I realize this is the long answer.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 01 Dec 2019 17:00

terry-a wrote:
30 Nov 2019 16:34
I haven't found many opportunities to shoot in recent years, but I was poking through the archive today. When I was more active in photography I often leaned toward a vintage look.
1 and 3 do have a very nice vintage look. Number 4 looks too much like things I did that I ended up throwing out after printing because there is nothing we haven't seen before about it.

The second one could be the most interesting one except that what I'm seeing on my screen (the worst way of looking at a photograph) seems effect driven. Maybe just a bad choice of contrast.

Sorry if I sound harsh but I was a photo major in art school, did a few shows and I feel like you may actually want to learn. And from what I'm seeing, you need to start with the basics. Like the rule of thirds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

Lots more to learn but there are some pretty good forums for that.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 01 Dec 2019 17:21

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
01 Dec 2019 17:00
terry-a wrote:
30 Nov 2019 16:34
1 and 3 do have a very nice vintage look. Number 4 looks too much like things I did that I ended up throwing out after printing because there is nothing we haven't seen before about it.

The second one could be the most interesting one except that what I'm seeing on my screen (the worst way of looking at a photograph) seems effect driven. Maybe just a bad choice of contrast.

Sorry if I sound harsh but I was a photo major in art school, did a few shows and I feel like you may actually want to learn. And from what I'm seeing, you need to start with the basics. Like the rule of thirds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

Lots more to learn but there are some pretty good forums for that.
LOL!

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 02 Dec 2019 09:15

Nothing wrong with a long answer.

Taking photos is easy, photography is hard.

You have to fail lots of times before you succeed. The advantage of digital is you can shoot lots of pics, it makes it easy in some ways but it is an opportunity.

DS

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 02 Dec 2019 09:32

The object of this thread is to encourage people to take photographs and post them, whether they took something with a cell phone, a disposable camera or whatever.

Lets try to keep the comments positive so as not to discourage others from posting who might want to post. =D>

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 02 Dec 2019 20:31

terry-a wrote:
01 Dec 2019 17:21
LOL!
My apologies for not reading you correctly.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 02 Dec 2019 20:48

davidsss wrote:
02 Dec 2019 09:15
The advantage of digital is you can shoot lots of pics, it makes it easy in some ways...
to never really learn.

I would call that the problem of digital photography rather than an advantage. But to each is own.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 02 Dec 2019 21:48

I'm not getting involved in any arguments here, both have valid points.

I like Terry's picture of the lake as it's symmetrical (but it breaks the rule of thirds and I don't give a sh!t!), the house/shack with the two trees is nicely balanced as the house is on the vertical in the rule of thirds (although could do with being a little lower in the frame so it meets the intercept of the bottom horizontal line in the rule of thirds to match the vertical) . The truck is a little out of whack from an aesthetic point of view but a great picture and again the broken headlamp is on the vertical in the rule of thirds.

But here's a big tip - the rule of thirds is only ever a guide! And if you like the result that's all that matters, if others like them, bonus! :-)

I am not a commercial/professional photographer so I don't need anyone else to like my photos but one thing I do agree with Pierre about is the fact digital photography has taken a lot of the skill out of it and creates LOTS of poor pictures.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 02 Dec 2019 21:51

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
02 Dec 2019 20:31
terry-a wrote:
01 Dec 2019 17:21
LOL!
My apologies for not reading you correctly.
This isn't about reading me the wrong way. This is about making inappropriate remarks. This is not a photography forum. No one here is asking for critiques. There are other places you can do that online.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 02 Dec 2019 22:03

Tonybro wrote:
02 Dec 2019 21:48
I'm not getting involved in any arguments here, both have valid points.

I like Terry's picture of the lake as it's symmetrical (but it breaks the rule of thirds and I don't give a sh!t!), the house/shack with the two trees is nicely balanced as the house is on the vertical in the rule of thirds (although could do with being a little lower in the frame so it meets the intercept of the bottom horizontal line in the rule of thirds to match the vertical) . The truck is a little out of whack from an aesthetic point of view but a great picture and again the broken headlamp is on the vertical in the rule of thirds.

But here's a big tip - the rule of thirds is only ever a guide! And if you like the result that's all that matters, if others like them, bonus! :-)

I am not a commercial/professional photographer so I don't need anyone else to like my photos but one thing I do agree with Pierre about is the fact digital photography has taken a lot of the skill out of it and creates LOTS of poor pictures.
I don't understand this notion that digital photography has taken the skill out of it. Lots of poor pictures were created with film cameras too, but there was no effective way to share them with the world like there is now with social media and digital images.

A good photographer creates good images, whether they be from a film camera or a digital camera. Both methods allow for successes and failures. Both are challenging. A good image is a good image, regardless of its source.

And, I don't think this thread was created for the purpose of critiquing images or skills, so I apologize for my contribution to steering it in the wrong direction.