Let's Talk Photography!

anything and nothing
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Let's Talk Photography!

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Mar 2019 10:03

Recently a discussion started in the Turntables and Tonearms forum about photography that went way off topic on the original one on turntables.

Someone mentioned how brutal the original digital cameras were in comparison to film photography, and they were right but digital photography has come a long way since then, but some things have stayed the same since the principals of photography are still there and consistently taking a good photograph is still an art.

Music is one of my hobbies, but so is photography. I probably have as many cameras as I have turntables, and also over a dozen lenses too. If you think collecting records is a money pit, photography can be the too.

This thread is basically to talk anything photography wise, whether it be digital or film, share a photograph, talk about your latest camera or lens or whatever.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Let's Talk Photography!

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Mar 2019 10:48

How I got into photography.

When I was a child in the 1960s my dad had a reasonably good Kodak camera and took what could be considered pretty good photos with it. The father of one of my friends had a Canon DSLR, and my friends and I used to look in the windows of the camera shops at some of the serious looking cameras from Canon, Nikon, Minolta, etc..

My brother as a teen caught the bug first and got a nice Yaschica SLR and later a Minolta X-700 and used to develop his own B&W film. I used to admire his work and passion, and after he died, I ended up buying an X-700 and eventually some good lenses to compliment it. Unfortunately a few years later all that gear was stolen in a burglary! :cry:

I had to replace it and had to choose between something from Nikon or a Minolta, so got talked into the new Minolta 7Xi which could use program cards for different types of photography. I happily used that for a number of years till my next camera.

The digital revolution had started and places to get film processed were getting harder to find. I ended up getting a Sony Alpha A100 DSLR (10mp C-sized sensor) which could use some of the same lenses as the older Minolta. It was a variation on the Minolta 7D after Sony bought out Minolta's camera division.

I currently have a Sony A700, an A850, an A55 and a Nex-3. I prefer the older A700 and A850 for general photography since I'm not fond of an EVF viewfinder, and I don't really need the video. To me they are the closest to the old SLR experience with their optical viewfinders. The A700 is a C sized sensor and the A850 a full sized one which means you can't always use the same lenses, which requires finding good glass for each which may not be compatible with the other. Good lenses are expensive.

I also have a couple of good quality Sony point and shoot cameras an RX-100 and an HX-80, so I always have a camera when I'm out. These are better than the average point and shoots and just something for when I'm out and wish I had a camera with me. Their sensors are bigger than the average point and shoot, plus better lenses too.

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 09 Mar 2019 12:50

Aah, photography, something I seem to never find time for. My father was really into photography and did both black and white and colour processing and printing.

At school I did a photography subject and used an old camera of my father's, a little Agfa with bellows that popped out the front. Of course, it didn't fit the school programme as the film was 120 not 35mm.

I went through a lot of cameras, a Yashica twin lens, a Mamiya twin lens, a Bronica and lastly for film cameras a Nikon FM-2 I still own. Now also have a digital, also a Nikon, this time a D90.

I think my favourite was the Mamiya, having f64 on the longer lenses was just astounding. Always regret selling that one.

DS

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 09 Mar 2019 13:24

I received a Kodak box camera from my father, on my eleventh birthday. My first picture was of my friend, Tony, in front of our house. It was slightly out of vertical, but, hey, we lived on the side of a hill. ;)
A few years later, I bought a Franka Solida Junior folding camera, which got stolen. :(
Then came a Mamiya 35mm with two backs, a Mamiya C3 TLR, and a Nikon F, which I still have.
There have been too many more to list this early in the morning. ;)
Currently I am using a Nikon D5200, a D7000, and a Fujifilm X30 for portability.
My darkroom has become very cluttered after a couple of decades of disuse, but I still harbour hopes of cleaning it out, and using it, and I have kept a decent stereo system in it (most important!).

Cheers,
Alec

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 10 Mar 2019 07:02

Hmm, Mamiya C3, I had the C33, fantastic, if a hell of a lot to carry around.

DS

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 10 Mar 2019 09:12

That sounds like some great experiences and gear guys!

I will add a photo just to get the ball rolling. Lighthouse Annapolis Royal taken yesterday morning with my Minolta a700 and Sony 16-50 f2.8 lens. It's a new lens for me, so I wanted to try it out.
Lighthouse Annapolis Royal March 2019 R1.jpg
(156.98 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 10 Mar 2019 09:25

Butterfly 024 R.jpg
(127.71 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
This one was taken a few years ago before the dogs killed my butterfly bush!
I think it was with my Minolta a700 and a Sony macro 100mm f2.8 lens, but this one not in macro.

I should probably get another bush and plant it where the dogs can't get at it! :wink:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Mar 2019 10:10

I recently picked up a 50mm F1.4 lens that is good in lower light such as indoors, produces good bokeh, but can also produce sunstars.

Here is a great article on sunstars that has some amazing photos worth looking at.

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/best-lenses-for-sunstars/

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 23 Mar 2019 14:51

I couldn't even name all the camera I've used over the years. Got most of them second-hand. Some of the more noteworthy:

Praktica, Voigtländer VLC2, Fujica 601, all of them M42 thread mount. Pentax P50T (first in a long succession of Pentax cams). Then I inherited a Zeiss-Ikon Contarex with all the wonderful Zeiss lenses from 21 to 250 mm. One of the few 35 mm cameras with exchangeable backs. Loved it literally to bits until the last decent repair shop that could deal with it eventually closed.

On with Pentax: MX, LX, *istDS, K10D, K-7, K-5, currently a K-3.

Medium format: Exakta 66 (a glorified Pentacon Six), Kiev 60, Mamiya 645 Pro. All gone.

Panoramic cams: Horizon 202, Noblex 150, Gaoersi 617 with 90 mm Nikkor.

Always done my own developing and printing, later scanning.

Have been practically all digital since 2007. Apart from the panoramics and the wonderfully big viewfinders of medium format I'm not missing analog one bit.

Main subjects: heavy industry, industrial landscapes, transport.

Here's a few pics: http://www.fotoralf.de/fotos/

Ralf

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Mar 2019 19:14

Those are some gorgeous photos Ralf! 8)

Some of the colours are amazing, and I really like the ones of the ships and boats. Most of what I get near me are fishing boats for lobster or scallops.

You have certainly had your share of great equipment and lenses. Some real classics in that mix. Companies like Zeiss and Leica made some excellent lenses.

Thanks for sharing! =D>

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 23 Mar 2019 19:23

Nice clean work, Ralf.

Cheers,
Alec

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 24 Mar 2019 09:16

Yeah, those photos are great Ralf. One of those things us amateurs are rarely as good at is the way you use light, wish I could do that. Fascinating scenes.

DS

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 24 Mar 2019 09:29

davidsss wrote:
24 Mar 2019 09:16
Yeah, those photos are great Ralf. One of those things us amateurs are rarely as good...
"Us amateurs...?" What do you think I am? Now, let me rephrase all this... :-)

One of the things us amateurs can afford is the leisure to wait until things are right without having to take a quick snap and rush on to the next job. No professional, with the possible exception of a few well-paid landscape photographers, could ever go to such length.

Besides, industrial scenery at dusk almost takes care of itself.

Ralf

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 24 Mar 2019 10:30

Just out of curiosity Ralf, why did you choose this subject matter of industrial scenery which some people might consider eyesores? Your photos often find a hidden beauty.

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 24 Mar 2019 10:49

Not easy to explain...

I suppose I haven't even chosen it. It chose me. I've always been fascinated by those big plants with all the smoke and fire, as long as I can observe them from a safe distance. And, as you say, they do have some kind of beauty, even if it isn't apparent at first sight. The right light and time of day help a lot. You'll notice that many of my photos have been taken around dusk or in typical winter light.

Maybe it's like punk music. Not exactly beautiful but that also has its fans. ;-)

Ralf

P.S.: Try as I might, the system doesn't let me correct the wrong capital "h" in "...help a lot". Tried several times, saved, reloaded the page, to no avail. Explanations, anyone?