Is streaming music really bad for the planet?

anything and nothing
VinyldechezPierre
France

Re: Is streaming music really bad for the planet?

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 25 Feb 2019 13:17

dysmike wrote:
25 Feb 2019 13:12
I remember lofi systems, back in the day before digital. I remember cheap all in ones. It wasn't all hifi as I recall, not by a long stretch. This is one of the reasons that records often missed a lot of bass.
That's assuming everyone defines hifi the same. I don't know if germans understand hifi better then the french but I'm always surprised here when I look at the classifieds. Cheap all-in-ones are more often than not listed as hifi systems...

:shock:

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 25 Feb 2019 13:45

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
25 Feb 2019 13:17

That's assuming everyone defines hifi the same. I don't know if germans understand hifi better then the french but I'm always surprised here when I look at the classifieds. Cheap all-in-ones are more often than not listed as hifi systems...

:shock:
Yes, it's amazing what people will call 'hifi'. The problem is, there have always been cheap consumer audio devices. Most of the audio equipment I remember seeing in peoples houses in the 70s and 80s would not have been considered hifi at the time. Most of it was poorly maintained, people never changed their stylist (until it would no longer track), I'd be surprised if they were ever adjusted, people left their records exposed in metal racks, etc. They just want to be able to play some music.

So, saying that the majority of consumers were not into hifi is completely true. I often get the impression that the past has been romanticized.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 25 Feb 2019 14:21

dysmike wrote:
25 Feb 2019 13:45
So, saying that the majority of consumers were not into hifi is completely true. I often get the impression that the past has been romanticized.
I agree 100% when it comes to members here and on other forums I visit.

But those with cheap stereo systems often honestly believe they own hifi gear. It was probably sold to them as such. Not to mention that you can't know what you don't know.

There is a young man I met through a pair of speakers he had for sale. Well know brand but they sounded like crap to me. Because he seemed genuinely interested by the subject, I invited him to come over and listen to some of my gear. He had a sort of awakening... :)

I say "sort of" because he then invited me to listen to his gear and he couldn't believe it when I told him I wouldn't dare sell his stuff. This kid really believed his gear was good, what can I tell you?

Now, a few years later, he owns an old amplifier of mine and, more important, a good pair of JM Reynaud speakers when I upgraded in that brand. But I still have work to do with him. :roll:

ethorn66
United States of America

Post by ethorn66 » 25 Feb 2019 17:06

dysmike wrote:
25 Feb 2019 13:45
VinyldechezPierre wrote:
25 Feb 2019 13:17

You guys spark an interesting topic unrelated to vinyl master's original topic!
I believe HiFi vs LoFi depends on what you were exposed to as a kid. Growing up here in the US and the youngest of 4 boys I remember going from an all in one console tv/amfm/record player to an all in one Lloyds system to my 2nd to oldest brother bringing home in 1977-78 a Harman Kardon receiver, a turntable that I can't remember what brand it was and a pair of Advent loudspeakers! Talk about a difference in sound reproduction! Made quite the impression on me. So naturally my first system was a component consisting of a Technics receiver and turntable with a pair of Cerwin Vega D1 speakers in 1982. I can remember going over to friends houses that had Sound Design rack systems thinking how inferior they where, but they thought they were great! :roll:

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Feb 2019 18:25

This was probably very lo-fi at the time, but it was the very first record player I ever owned...

Eventually, when I hit my teenage years, I started to dig some of this older stuff...I'd always been a student of history, and I think it was either a garage sale or flea market that this called out to me...I just thought it was cool and still think so, because I have a thing for mid-century (50's, 60's, 70's) kitsch...

Later on, I picked this up at an antique shop, I think...My parents used to take us to these places when we were kids...

I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen to play 78's on and loved the look of it...I've always been attached to these unusual-looking record players...

Of course, I did have some "hi-fi" equipment as a teenager...I remember buying this receiver, my FIRST piece of decent equipment, for $10 at one of my local thrift shops (It closed up years ago) called Value Village...I've held onto it ever since...

It wasn't until I hit rock bottom and bought a Crosley Cruiser that I realized how backwards I was going...I had seen a Dual 1226 at one of my local antique shops in 2013 and due to the responses here, I took a chance on it...It was my first DECENT record player...

I wrote about it here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 18&t=63077

I also picked up this Philips GA427 about the same time for $40...

I think going to all those flea markets and garage sales as a kid, I learned how to successfully haggle for what I wanted and those tips and tricks came in handy when I was looking for a better record record player aka turntable...I don't think I would change a thing on the trajectory, except maybe learning about hi-fi sooner, but all those experiences have led me to where I am today...In the last 5 years, I've just gone nuts for this hobby and the fun of it has really sunk in...Playing my 45's and 78's on that GE, though, brings back a lot of memories and I wouldn't be who I am without having those early experiences with records and music, spending afternoons playing one record after another and discovering all this great music...It has made me more well-rounded, too, and knowledgeable about the music I love and the equipment I use to play it on and now, I enjoy it even more that I have better equipment in my life...I still have all of those early machines, too, and have a sentimental attachment to them due to the enjoyment they brought me...

I didn't start out with an expensive machine, but I wouldn't trade any of my early experiences with music and records for the world, since they got me to where I am today! :D

Now, don't get me wrong...I've bought many a CD and streamed and downloaded music, too, but they just don't get me as emotional as the tangible music formats and the equipment I've used to play the music on...That emotion is something you just can't manufacture...

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 26 Feb 2019 08:43

ethorn66 wrote:
25 Feb 2019 17:06
You guys spark an interesting topic unrelated to vinyl master's original topic!
:lol:

Seems to happen in the Off Topic area.

Since VM presented his first record player, here is mine:

https://i.ibb.co/4ShR5g8/Philips.jpg

Seems even more lo-fi than VM's. Suitcase type with the cover being the speaker. It wasn't until the age of 19 that I bought my first true stereo gear. Don't remember what it was except for the speakers which I still have: a pair EPI 200C.

ethorn66
United States of America

Post by ethorn66 » 26 Feb 2019 13:17

It seems like our console was an RCA but I'm not sure. I do remember the Lloyds all in one looked like this one. Eight-track and all!
Screenshot_2019-02-25-13-40-05_1.jpg
(96.95999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
My first real hifi receiver in 1982
Haha, at least I considered it hifi :lol:
Screenshot_2019-02-25-13-56-55_1.jpg
Technics SA-103
(62.57 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

That's nice looking Philips record player Pierre!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Jul 2019 02:35

Here's an interesting podcast that discusses some of this...

https://irlpodcast.org/season5/episode3 ... nt=rel_esr

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 03:16

And then, here is this article that discusses more about the bad side of streaming...

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/22/74377519 ... ket-newtab