The natural disaster in your area

anything and nothing
davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Re: The natural disaster in your area

Post by davidsss » 16 Jul 2018 11:33

p38arover wrote:Nothing here. Just the boring heat in summer. No snow, no tornadoes, no cyclones (hurricanes), no earthquakes. Bushfires are a real threat a few km west of here in the mountains. Five years ago, 248 homes and other buildings were destroyed by a bushfire 8km North-west of here.

Rain would be nice.
Pretty much the same here, only no bushfires anywhere near inner city Melbourne. Did once get a fire along the railway line near here but the biggest danger would have been the snakes escaping and I didn't see any.

Your heat would be worse than mine being further North.

DS

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 01 Aug 2018 17:30

Not necessarily in my area, however since spending metamorphical life development in (N&S) CA, I've been watching the seasonal fires there over the years. Now, the Carr Fire :shock: #-o

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incident ... Index/2164

Will be traveling to N CA in the near future so it is a bit disconcerting...... [-o<

Closer to home, this barreled through a few weeks ago:

https://www.wtnh.com/news/hiker-describ ... 1185815836

The park is still recovering and remains closed....... :shock: #-o Locally, we had trees and branches down. Buddy's neighborhood in Sandy Hook was trashed, he's OK but further down the street houses were destroyed in the same storm front.

Fred and hoping for a quiet rest of summer and hurricane season........ [-o<

T.O.S.

Post by T.O.S. » 01 Aug 2018 21:42

July was the most rainy month since 1961 in Romania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8rbsNAmc-Q

jc_the_trucker

Post by jc_the_trucker » 02 Aug 2018 22:06

cafe_liegeois wrote:
timspell wrote:Those Wild Haggis sound frightening.
They sound interesting, to say the least. Some odd cross between the Wolpertingers they have in Bavaria...

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertin ... tinger.jpg

and the sheep grazing the dykes on our North Sea coast which also have legs of different length. Though I suppose, given that the Wild Haggis would most probably be left to fend for themselves, you have nothing like the honourable profession of sheeplifters who put them back on their feet when they've accidentally turned over which happens all too often, especially with the strong winds they've got there.

Ralf
It’s a jackalope with wings!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope

I go everywhere in the lower 48 so I’m constantly dodging something. I think humans behind the wheel are probably the most deadly natural disaster. Over 40,000 killed last year. Guess all those stupid driver aids ain’t helping much...

MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

Post by MonkeyBoy » 05 Aug 2018 04:24

The two threats around here are tornadoes and hurricanes. The hurricanes don't hit the mid-Atlantic very often but when they do they tend to be whoppers and leave a lot of destruction behind. Of course nowadays they tend to be even stronger than in the past so when one hits expect a lot of damage, misery and woe.

timspell
long player
long player

Post by timspell » 11 Aug 2018 06:00

MonkeyBoy wrote:The two threats around here are tornadoes and hurricanes. The hurricanes don't hit the mid-Atlantic very often but when they do they tend to be whoppers and leave a lot of destruction behind. Of course nowadays they tend to be even stronger than in the past so when one hits expect a lot of damage, misery and woe.
Don't you guys get 'bomb cyclones'? Sounds ominous.

timspell
long player
long player

Post by timspell » 11 Aug 2018 06:07

fscl wrote:Not necessarily in my area, however since spending metamorphical life development in (N&S) CA, I've been watching the seasonal fires there over the years. Now, the Carr Fire :shock: #-o

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incident ... Index/2164

Will be traveling to N CA in the near future so it is a bit disconcerting...... [-o<

Closer to home, this barreled through a few weeks ago:

https://www.wtnh.com/news/hiker-describ ... 1185815836

The park is still recovering and remains closed....... :shock: #-o Locally, we had trees and branches down. Buddy's neighborhood in Sandy Hook was trashed, he's OK but further down the street houses were destroyed in the same storm front.

Fred and hoping for a quiet rest of summer and hurricane season........ [-o<
The scope of those fires is mind-boggling! Hope they get a handle on them soon.

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 11 Aug 2018 21:13

Just a short while ago, I wrote here that we never have any natural disasters in the Western parts of Germany.

Now, we have one: weeks of draught and the longest heatwave since the beginning of weather records. Much of the crops in large parts of the country are a total loss.

Last Thursday something set fire to a small spot of vegetation next to a high-speed rail line, about ten miles from here. The next passing train (running at 260 km/h or 160 mph) fanned the flames and within a few minutes not only 100 m of dry shrubbery but 10 houses were on fire. There were dozens of injured, mainly by smoke poisoning, and most of the buildings are completely destroyed. It's almost a miracle that nobody was killed.

Here's a report from the local press with a few pics:

https://www.ksta.de/region/rhein-sieg-b ... n-31086122

It happened so fast all the people could do was run.

Ralf

Yak_Forger

Post by Yak_Forger » 16 Aug 2018 16:24

I wanted to make a joke about the fact that Brussels' weather, that is either rain or clouds, was a natural disaster in itself, but some people here actually had issues so it's not funny anymore.

Although it's not the worst case of this disaster, my hometown of Zrenjanin, though, was still flooded last year, and it's happening quite regularly there.

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 16 Aug 2018 16:48

Yak_Forger wrote:I wanted to make a joke about the fact that Brussels' weather, that is either rain or clouds...
That's the general pattern of the whole region. In Calais they say that you can't see England when it's raining, and when you can see England it's going to rain.

Ralf

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 24 Sep 2018 17:32

The outskirts of my area was recently hit by two tornadoes, destroying multiple homes and knocked out power for most of the city for several days, with few being even longer!

Luckily, I'm okay, no damage around my place but lost power until late last night.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 24 Sep 2018 17:36

And here's some more dramatic footage of the storm from my city:

music_mota_beer
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by music_mota_beer » 16 May 2019 17:51

DualSpinsMyVinyl wrote:
11 Jul 2018 06:01
Earth Quakes. We live on the San Andreas Fault and about 3 miles as the crow flies from the epicenter of the 1989 Loma Prietta earth quake. ....
I had just settled in to watch the Oakland Athletics beat the San Francisco Giants in Game 1 when a ceiling-mounted lamp began swaying, and the TV signal went out. Earthquake, I thought. Home was Fairfield, at the time.

Twenty-one years later, on Easter Sunday 2010, California's Imperial Valley was hit with a magnitude-7.1. I was at work with one other employee who'd never been through an earthquake. When it got bad we dived under our desks.

Three days prior, my new Focal Chorus 807Vs had arrived. They didn't see their stands again for eight years. It was only last year that I realized how damaged the left speaker was/is. They're back on their stands, however.

Amazingly, none of my other gear or records were tossed off of their shelves. My theory is that the furniture was aligned with the quake's energy waves, that is, north and south. Today there's more gear than before.

The next big one is only a matter of time. Cheers!

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 17 May 2019 02:10

No natural disasters here.

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 12 Jun 2019 07:41

Of course I (we) have just moved from sunny [-o< peaceful(emmets) (although plenty of tourists here too,but at least they dont outnumber the population) Cornwall to an earthquake zone.
https://earthquaketrack.com/ge-51-tbilisi/recent
Nothing major of late,typically 4 to 5
Then of course we had the flood in Tbilisi a few years ago that wrecked the zoo [-o<
Almighty thunderstorm here a few nights ago [-o<