The natural disaster in your area

anything and nothing
timspell
long player
long player

The natural disaster in your area

Post by timspell » 10 Jul 2018 17:39

It seems like natural disasters are in the news more than ever -- wildfires, volcanic eruptions, flooding and hurricanes. I'm particularly aware of the possibility of a hurricane because I live on the Texas Gulf coast and it's hurricane season. Ten years ago my house was swept away by Hurricane Ike's massive storm surge.

So, I guess misery loves company. Which natural disaster threat in your area keeps you on the alert?

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Re: The natural disaster in your area

Post by cafe_liegeois » 10 Jul 2018 22:22

Practically none. To the point that it's almost boring. If anything, we could do with a decent rain shower to get the dust off the street. Leave the windows open for a day and this place looks like someone had blown up a bag of flour.

Ralf

timspell
long player
long player

Post by timspell » 10 Jul 2018 23:09

cafe_liegeois wrote:Practically none. To the point that it's almost boring. If anything, we could do with a decent rain shower to get the dust off the street. Leave the windows open for a day and this place looks like someone had blown up a bag of flour.

Ralf
Sounds like a mini disaster. Guess the dust requires lots of cleanup. It can't be good for vehicles. Lots of filter changing seems in order and it's probably abrasive to paint finishes.

justjed0001
United States of America

Post by justjed0001 » 11 Jul 2018 03:24

An Okie here. Tornadoes are the primary threat. Straight-line winds of 113mph have been clocked in my neighborhood. A couple of years ago, we got 10 inches of rain in less than 4 hours. Other than that, just the miserable heat in the summer, and ice-storms that can take out the electricity for days in the winter. Our earthquakes are nothing to write home about.

DualSpinsMyVinyl
United States of America

Post by DualSpinsMyVinyl » 11 Jul 2018 06:01

Earth Quakes. We live on the San Andreas Fault and about 3 miles as the crow flies from the epicenter of the 1989 Loma Prietta earth quake. We survived with no damage to our home but can't say the same for city center. City is just now filling the last empty lot created from the desaster 30 yers ago. Saving grace with earth quakes is they can happen on a nice clear sunny day, no wind or water involved but just as messy.

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 11 Jul 2018 08:05

Snowstorms.

We are at the eastern-end of Lake Erie, and inland enough to be right in the spot where the lake-effect snow falls heaviest.

Five to seven feet of snow that fell overnight had left us stranded in our houses for three days in November 2014. Snow has left whole towns without power for three days to a week in October 2006. Roofs cave in from snow, furnace vents get buried in snow and people die. Snow strands motorists on the highways and expressways during rush-hour lasting overnight or for days and people die in their cars.

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 11 Jul 2018 09:38

Being Attacked by wandering feral Packs of Wild Haggis.
Like Foxes,many Haggis have became Urbanised..
Unlike Foxes they tend to attack though,seeing people in Haggis catching armour,
has became an all too common sight unfortunately.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 11 Jul 2018 10:41

In 1998 an ice storm blanketed eastern Ontario and parts of Quebec including Montreal coating everything with a thick layer of ice. Hydro towers were toppled as well as trees and people were without power for weeks in freezing weather. Ice even slid off roofs and killed people for a period afterwards.
ice storm.jpg
(364.87 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

p38arover

Post by p38arover » 11 Jul 2018 13:07

Nothing here. Just the boring heat in summer. No snow, no tornadoes, no cyclones (hurricanes), no earthquakes. Bushfires are a real threat a few km west of here in the mountains. Five years ago, 248 homes and other buildings were destroyed by a bushfire 8km North-west of here.

Rain would be nice.

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 11 Jul 2018 17:56

p38arover wrote:Nothing here. Just the boring heat in summer.
Sounds like heaven to me! 8)

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 11 Jul 2018 18:03

goatbreath wrote:Being Attacked by wandering feral Packs of Wild Haggis.
Like Foxes,many Haggis have became Urbanised..
Unlike Foxes they tend to attack though,seeing people in Haggis catching armour,
has became an all too common sight unfortunately.
I can tell you from experience that once you figure out which of it's side is the longer-legged, they are easily evaded. Easy to capture too, though I don't know why you would want one.

timspell
long player
long player

Post by timspell » 12 Jul 2018 23:21

Those Wild Haggis sound frightening. :lol:

Almost as strange, Texas is bracing for its second dose of Saharan dust. It's tough on allergies.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 13 Jul 2018 16:14

Aside from nature throwing a tantrum with storms, flooding, tornado's and straight line wind. One of the main disaster's to deal with is man made. Gun violence is chronic and disparaging. It's dealt with pretty much the same as natural calamities, families picking up the pieces of shattered life's and getting on. Like nothing can be done about it but blame.

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 13 Jul 2018 17:42

I am watching the forest fire situation in one of my favourite canoeing areas, Temagami. It is very serious!
https://www.mynorthbaynow.com/32307/hum ... turn-home/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/ ... -1.4743940

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 15 Jul 2018 12:07

timspell wrote:Those Wild Haggis sound frightening.
They sound interesting, to say the least. Some odd cross between the Wolpertingers they have in Bavaria...

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertin ... tinger.jpg

and the sheep grazing the dykes on our North Sea coast which also have legs of different length. Though I suppose, given that the Wild Haggis would most probably be left to fend for themselves, you have nothing like the honourable profession of sheeplifters who put them back on their feet when they've accidentally turned over which happens all too often, especially with the strong winds they've got there.

Ralf