Catalog and Database software

anything and nothing
poutrew

Catalog and Database software

Post by poutrew » 15 Jun 2019 06:21

I am looking into getting a database software so I can catalog all my LPs and CDs, and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion? I am aware of one called 'Orange CD' which seems ok, but it seems to be orphaned - looks like the programmers haven't even updated it in several years... and I have had bad experiences in the past with abandoned software so wouldn't like to repeat the experience. Any opinions? Thanks! :)

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: Catalog and Database software

Post by Tonybro » 15 Jun 2019 08:34

2 solutions -one easy, one difficult: -

Difficult...
Create your own DB using Access or other off the shelf package...

Easy...
Create an account at Discogs and start feeding it your collection

simonineaston
Great Britain

Post by simonineaston » 15 Jun 2019 09:08

Plus one for Discogs - it's not perfect, but it's jolly good!

simonineaston
Great Britain

Post by simonineaston » 15 Jun 2019 09:21

Here's a screenshot of my Discogs, which gives you a feel for what it looks like and what it can do. Every recording I've searched for to add to my list has been found - and if you can't find it, you simply add it to the database yourself, so the next person who has it in their collection can find it. Cooperative. You can search by artist, record company, ID number etc.etc. Does vinyl, CD, cassette, etc. etc. Lovely cover art database and tons of info on each issue, etc. etc. And although I haven't tried it yet, it has a Buy&Sell element to it too, which values each recording based on some clever formula. All in all, rather good. Needless to say, I've only entered a small proportion of my records, the down side being that it's rather time-consuming, entering them all!
Screenshot 2019-06-15 09.12.31.png
What 'My Discogs' looks like...
(814.05 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 15 Jun 2019 12:43

+2 for Discogs

poutrew

Post by poutrew » 17 Jun 2019 23:38

Discogs certainly seems to be the way to go. My only concern is that, being a web site, if it goes dark, gets bought up, or changes it's way of operating, they could suddenly close down or die. I wouldn't want to put all that effort into the site and then one day the site goes dark, and my list is gone... poof! Does anyone know if your files can be downloaded onto your personal computer, or, if they are in the 'cloud' only, and if so, are there any personal database softwares currently available that does what discogs does?

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 18 Jun 2019 07:15

Yes, under your collection there is an export function. Arrives as a comma separated value (csv) list you can open with Excel or similar.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Jun 2019 05:59

I still use the Orange CD software...I will warn you, though, about one thing...I've used it for years with the Amazon database until recently...Member Jazz North on the forums there informed me of this...

"Amazon has changed the rules for access to its API. Only sites that allow (encourage?) purchases from Amazon can use the API (and there are rules about the minimum number of purchases that get made plus regional restrictions plus plus plus and so on). Since OCD isn't designed for purchasing, the Amazon API is unlikely to ever be properly available again.

On the other hand, Discogs does seem to be working okay. It is unfortunate that Andrei didn't work on adding Musicbrainz as a source before he lost interest in the program (and time to work on it); it would have been a useful source."

Discogs does still work with the software, but the Amazon API issue resides with Amazon...I'm guessing that ANY program that uses Amazon as a source for info, artwork, etc. will have the same problem...In cases where my albums are simply not in ANY database, I input the information manually...

Musicbrainz would have been a good addition, but at least in my case, I've put in too much work to stop now...Plus, I have back-ups of all my work onto flash drives, external hard drives, etc....

Again, if this still doesn't appeal to you, you could always create your own database or there are others like Media Monkey or Collectorz that I've heard good things about...

https://www.mediamonkey.com/
https://www.collectorz.com/

A few more thoughts, in any case... 8-[

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 08 Jul 2019 14:45

poutrew wrote:
17 Jun 2019 23:38
Discogs certainly seems to be the way to go. My only concern is that, being a web site, if it goes dark, gets bought up, or changes it's way of operating, they could suddenly close down or die. I wouldn't want to put all that effort into the site and then one day the site goes dark, and my list is gone...
My thought exactly.

And why I use FileMaker. Not cheap to buy (although...) but no matter what happens, I'll still be able to use my latest version of it on whatever computer I was using at the time. And it's a hell of a good db software.

DT999
Australia

Post by DT999 » 10 Jul 2019 08:36

simonineaston wrote:
15 Jun 2019 09:21
And although I haven't tried it yet, it has a Buy&Sell element to it too, which values each recording based on some clever formula. All in all, rather good. Needless to say, I've only entered a small proportion of my records, the down side being that it's rather time-consuming, entering them all! Screenshot 2019-06-15 09.12.31.png
[/quote

If you do buy through Discogs, you can import details directly to your collection from the shopping cart, saves a bit of time.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 10 Jul 2019 17:42

simonineaston wrote:
15 Jun 2019 09:21
it has a Buy&Sell element to it too, which values each recording based on some clever formula. All in all, rather good.
It's pretty simple. The seller sets a price, you either buy it or not. The valuation is the median price sold on the site. Nothing more :)

Oh and another + for Discogs, besides.. someone else has to manage the data, which is good. I think of it as cloud storage ;)

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 12 Jul 2019 20:30

dysmike wrote:
10 Jul 2019 17:42
The valuation is the median price sold on the site. Nothing more :)
Which means nothing in the case of Discogs... for the simple reason that it is international and values vary wildly from one country to another.

When I first moved back to France a few years back, I shipped a lot of banned records to the US. Most of them were bought for 5 to 10 € and sold between 2 and 300 dollars. :roll:

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 12 Jul 2019 21:08

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
12 Jul 2019 20:30
dysmike wrote:
10 Jul 2019 17:42
The valuation is the median price sold on the site. Nothing more :)
Which means nothing in the case of Discogs... for the simple reason that it is international and values vary wildly from one country to another.

When I first moved back to France a few years back, I shipped a lot of banned records to the US. Most of them were bought for 5 to 10 € and sold between 2 and 300 dollars. :roll:
Yea, over all I agree. I think it's probably decent for aggregation of an entire collections value. But that's simply because of volume.

There are banned records in the US?

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 14 Jul 2019 09:59

dysmike wrote:
12 Jul 2019 21:08
There are banned records in the US?
Banned covers. Scorpions' "Virgin Killer" is one.

Albums banned from sale, I'm not sure, but there have been plenty of songs banned from radio play. One example is "Je t'aime... moi non plus" by Gainsbourg. Although, in that case, it was banned from radio play in most of Europe also.

I'm using this example because I find it funny. Few americans understand enough french to get the meaning of Gainsbourg lyrics so that other songs of his about sex were probably not banned, although probably barely ever played, but with this one song, you don't need to understand french to get what is going on.

Gainsbourg uses a lot of double meanings in his lyrics so that, I imagine a lot of non-native french speakers, will not get the lyrics. To be honest, there was a french singer who recorded one his songs without realizing what it said... :lol: