06 Jan 2019 14:13
another pastime is sipping a wee dram once in a while... :D

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/m ... 227835.jpg
Nice collection =D> :P

hobie1dog
United States of America

Re: INSTEAD of listening?

Post by hobie1dog » 06 Jan 2019 23:10

We have lots in common . Great looking bikes.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 07 Jan 2019 00:50

I posted something about this a few years ago. Still at it.

http://gorgephotos.com/images/mejump.gif

Plus mountain biking and road riding. And hiking.

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 10 Mar 2019 08:31

Do I put this up..

Ah!! Sod it...

I try to be a guitarist of sorts..
I've never done anything of note,just a Scottish dude that dabbles..
I play all the guitar on the songs below for the singer Linton Osborne..

Linton was in Nazareth for a while..
He had to sing cabaret singing other people's songs when not touring the World so he could survive and feed himself,
the money was better singing in local clubs doing cover versions..
that's the truth about Rock'n'Roll these days..

No interest or money in Rock Music these days,he has went back to being a folk singer and I can't really be bothered playing in a band at the moment..

Yes I do actually use ear protection before the judgemental police come out.. :lol:

I am not a goat and my real name is Kev..

This is me..Definitely not a Rock Adonis..
29598185_425319001261192_440166309894065385_n.jpg
(52.67 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

So I am the overweight beardy dude on the couch,in the picture in the first song,,nowt glamorous about me.. :lol:

I've never played any really big venues,Linton and myself maybe thought we would have got some nice gigs,
after him being in Nazareth,not much interest really..He did get an offer to sing for a AC DC tribute band though.. :lol:
What a World,mind you I think the tribute bands often make more in the end than some of the originals..
It would have been nice to have a few interesting experiences like that in your life though..
To have played at big Rock festivals etc..
It never happened though..
So here I am 51 soon,,a genuine Aging Rocker.. :lol:

So I wrote the song City of Sin below, hope the links work..
Oh and I didn't mean the end bit to come out so much like Highway Star... :lol:

https://youtu.be/E9y8-BZsTaQ

This is one I wrote about the MC5,,I know the lyrics are pretty cheesy..
I'm a guitar player really,not a songwriter...

https://youtu.be/OXnK6qiKKmQ

This is one written by Linton with me on guitar doing something a bit more Dreamy and Atmospheric..
A sort of late 50s early 60s thing..

https://youtu.be/PGRux9_KfAU

Anyway,I'm off to do some listening to Jacques Loussier play Bach,
or maybe some Ronnie Aldrich and his Two Pianos. ...

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 10 Mar 2019 12:59

Not bad at all, young lad. ;)

Cheers,
Alec

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 11 Mar 2019 10:10

Alec124c41 wrote:
10 Mar 2019 12:59
Not bad at all, young lad. ;)

Cheers,
Alec
If you mean me,thank you Sir... :D

dB12

Post by dB12 » 15 Mar 2019 17:34

damn "kids" and their rock and roll music... just kidding, that is cool !

thanks for sharing.

(I just might have to dig out my old Nazareth albums tonite. :D )

Audie

Post by Audie » 16 Mar 2019 13:18

Great guitar - glad you did "put it up".

Would buy an LP version. Would sound great on my setup and the louder the better. :) With your talent you could have played more of the big gigs for sure.
Sometimes life and luck just does not present the right opportunities at the right time.

Dutchy

Post by Dutchy » 24 Apr 2019 10:37

Lang may yer lumn reek Kev!

Edinburgh is a great place to live, did so myself 1989-1993...
Quaffing pints of Special while listening to live music at Preservation Hall, staggering home to Dean Village :-)

fluteboy
England

Post by fluteboy » 30 Apr 2019 16:40

As my username would suggest, the flute is my instrument of choice. I played at school and passed grade 4, but failed to go any higher. I took it up again at 31 as I needed a pastime to stop me going mad! So since then I have taught myself and, like Ian Anderson have probably picked up some bad habits or unorthodox playing means...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Apr 2019 23:39

fluteboy wrote:
30 Apr 2019 16:40
As my username would suggest, the flute is my instrument of choice. I played at school and passed grade 4, but failed to go any higher. I took it up again at 31 as I needed a pastime to stop me going mad! So since then I have taught myself and, like Ian Anderson have probably picked up some bad habits or unorthodox playing means...
Nothing wrong with that, fluteboy...Many of my favorite people in the world (dead and living), including Herbie Mann, Bobby Humphrey, Alexander Zonjic, Hubert Laws, Dave Valentin, Paul Horn, Frank Wess, Tim Weisberg, Sam Most, Eric Dolphy, James Moody and Jeremy Steig happen to be top-tier flautists! Now, you also have women out there like Nicole Mitchell, Ana Caram, Mindi Abair, Michele McGovern, Sherry Winston and Althea Rene doing their thing...

Of course, I dig the jazz flute, but there are many others out there...If you dig rock music, you might like these...

Personally, I think it's one of the coolest instruments of all! 8) =D>

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 01 May 2019 01:02

Making music, whether or not you are doing it "correctly," is definitely a good thing, whatever your instrument (including voice).

Cheers,
Alec

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 01 May 2019 02:45

vinyl master wrote:
30 Apr 2019 23:39
fluteboy wrote:
30 Apr 2019 16:40
Now, you also have women out there like Nicole Mitchell, Ana Caram, Mindi Abair, Michele McGovern, Sherry Winston and Althea Rene doing their thing...

Totally forgot about Ragan Whiteside, another favorite...

...and Kim Scott!

So many women instrumentalists out there doing their thing, too...We recently spoke about bassist Carol Kaye here, whose resume is STAGGERING!! Then, back in the 70's, you had women like the aforementioned Bobbi Humphrey, A Taste Of Honey's Janice Marie-Johnson and Hazel Payne and Patrice Rushen, who could play their own instruments...The 80's offered up ladies like Sheila E. and fast forward to the 90's with women like Candy Dulfer and Pamela Williams...Now, there are so many women like Wakana, Cindy Bradley, Keiko Matsui, Jessy J., Carol Albert, Magdalena Chovancova and others blazing a trail and that's just in the smooth jazz and funk arenas...I haven't even talked up musicians like Ana Popovic, Samantha Fish and Sadie Johnson who are doing their own thing on guitar in the blues-rock world...Or Laura Lee of Khruangbin or Gabriela Quintero (Rodrigo Y Gabriela) in the psychedelic and classic rock arenas...What I love about music now is that there is so much more variety and the women keep knocking it out of the park! :D

Sure, there's more that can be done to level the playing field, but I dig music...first and foremost...for the music, no matter who's doing it! All I know is that my playlists have gotten MUCH more diverse in the past few years and I'm digging NEW and OLD stuff out of Japan (Too many city-pop artists to mention...), Scandinavia (Ole Borud), Russia (Leonid & Friends), Brazil (Ed Motta), Thailand (the aforementioned Khruangbin), The Phillipines and many other locales...Old, young, male, female, black, white, green, etc. The music speaks for itself...If it sounds good, I can dig it! 8)

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 14 Jun 2019 21:11

goatbreath wrote:
10 Mar 2019 08:31
Do I put this up..

Ah!! Sod it...

He had to sing cabaret singing other people's songs when not touring the World so he could survive and feed himself,

No interest or money in Rock Music these days,he has went back to being a folk singer and I can't really be bothered playing in a band at the moment..

Yes I do actually use ear protection before the judgemental police come out.. :lol:

So I am the overweight beardy dude on the couch,in the picture in the first song,,nowt glamorous about me.. :lol:

I've never played any really big venues,Linton and myself maybe thought we would have got some nice gigs,
after him being in Nazareth,not much interest really..He did get an offer to sing for a AC DC tribute band though.. :lol:
What a World,mind you I think the tribute bands often make more in the end than some of the originals..
It would have been nice to have a few interesting experiences like that in your life though..

This is one written by Linton with me on guitar doing something a bit more Dreamy and Atmospheric..

Hi, that's sounds great!
I like Nazareth!!
Its hard to believe that some great Rock and Roll musicians have a hard time just to survive!
A few years ago I attended a Michael Schenker gig and the singer was Doogie White, also from Scotland, as Linton.
Michael Schenker is one of my absolute favourite rock musicians, I listen to his music (UFO/MSG etc) since I was 5 years old.
Then at the end of the gig someone told me that Doogie White has to play at several bands, here and there, to survive. I couldn't believe that. The gig was great and Doogie sung Schenker/UFO songs in a very competent way!
Regards!

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 19 Jun 2019 06:06

joedisco wrote:
14 Jun 2019 21:11
goatbreath wrote:
10 Mar 2019 08:31
Do I put this up..

Ah!! Sod it...

Hi, that's sounds great!
I like Nazareth!!
Its hard to believe that some great Rock and Roll musicians have a hard time just to survive!
A few years ago I attended a Michael Schenker gig and the singer was Doogie White, also from Scotland, as Linton.
Michael Schenker is one of my absolute favourite rock musicians, I listen to his music (UFO/MSG etc) since I was 5 years old.
Then at the end of the gig someone told me that Doogie White has to play at several bands, here and there, to survive. I couldn't believe that. The gig was great and Doogie sung Schenker/UFO songs in a very competent way!
Regards!
Firstly,thank you very much.. :D :D

Is Doogie White the guy that sang in Rainbow too..??

Schenker is an awesome player..
I remember getting firstly Phenomenon home then Force it and thinking,
this guy is a missing link between the British Blues influenced Rock players and players like Randy Rhoads etc..
So was his replacement in The Scorpions,Uli Roth..
Both very different players,but a vital part of Heavy Rock's evolution..
First hearing of Sails of Charon I thought,how did I miss this guy,it influenced and inspired me..
That was less than 10 years ago..I had no idea about him,I had just heard his name..
I think Yngwie done a lot of listening to Uli and Late 70s/80s players done a lot of listening to Schenker..
I like players that still have traces of the Blues in their playing but do their own thing and break new ground..
I think Schenker deserves more recognition for that ,mixing the Blues and Classical ideas..
Blackmore done that too,no slouch of a player either..
Blackmore being British I feel automatically gets more recognition..
I bet there are lots more German and indeed European players from that era that are Jaw Droppingly good that don't get anywhere near the recognition they deserve..
It is also pretty clear Schenker must have been a huge element of UFO's change in direction..
Although I must admit I do like their psychedelic Era stuff with Mick Bolton too..
I have a compilation of that era stuff and love it..
It is very different from the Schenker era stuff though..

Linton is back singing cover versions in Pubs and Clubs to keep alive..
I think he really deserves more than that..
Especially because as a personality he is such a generous caring and giving guy,also a creative one..
Being honest,,there only is one Dan McCafferty,he has a very distinctive singing voice and is irreplaceable..
Guys like Doogie White and Linton really do deserve better though,
they have their own thing going on too..
Dan is a legend and a very nice guy..
Linton went on to work with Manny Charlton too..
Manny is apparently a great guy,
but again,Linton had to sing clubs doing other people's material to make ends meet..
Linton speaks highly of Billy Rankin and Zal Cleminson too..
Sensational Alex Harvey Band,great and very different band..
I remember seeing Zal as a kid in his green and yellow get up and thinking,WTF..
A lot of cool ,different and creative stuff going on back then..
I own most of the SAHB stuff..
Now they were a bunch of Bad Asses.. :D :D