Self Building Buildings

anything and nothing
pogo
long player
long player

Self Building Buildings

Post by pogo » 12 Feb 2019 02:42

Don't know if any of you have seen this BBC REEL piece. It's really fascinating:
Homes that build themselves You will have to watch an ad, but it's worth it. (IMHO)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Self Building Buildings

Post by vinyl master » 12 Feb 2019 06:05

Man oh man, pogo...That is some fascinating stuff! Welcome to the future, people!

And just to think...I thought the houses of the future would look like this Futuro in Delaware... :(

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 18 Feb 2019 17:26

What is self-building here? Ok it is self deploying; nothing more.

Isn't this just a super fancy-like mobile home?

Mobile home being a misnomer since none of them ever move again. And, honestly, if you want to keep on moving, just buy a caravan or a camper.

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 18 Feb 2019 18:47

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
18 Feb 2019 17:26
What is self-building here? Ok it is self deploying; nothing more.
The futuro in the pic above was a self build prefab. There's a website about them here:

http://www.futurohouse.co.uk/about.html

It would be a Space 1999 fan's dream come true :)

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 20 Feb 2019 11:57

JaS wrote:
18 Feb 2019 18:47
The futuro in the pic above was a self build prefab.
I was responding to the link in the first post.

Selfbuilding is a different idea; one that interests me so much that when my wife and I bought land some years back one of the project was 10 acres dedicated to a building school where we would form future volunteers to the earthbag building techniques with the idea of creating an organization that could deploy people to devastated areas; like Haiti in 2010 for example since this technique, used for domes, is rated by the State of California as the most resistant to earthquakes and a crew can build a simple dome in less than a week.

Today, I'm helping a young couple with a selfbuild straw bale project and trying to figure out how to build a straw bale dome for my own project. :)

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 20 Feb 2019 12:51

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
20 Feb 2019 11:57
Selfbuilding is a different idea; one that interests me so much that when my wife and I bought land some years back one of the project was 10 acres dedicated to a building school where we would form future volunteers to the earthbag building techniques with the idea of creating an organization that could deploy people to devastated areas.
What a fantastic idea. I've never even built a whole house but it must be in everyone's DNA to want to make a home?

I can barely get to my motorcycles for all the scaffolding, ladders, mixers etc from the DIY projects I've done, but I wouldn't know where to start with low cost, quick build 'green' building. The building regs don't really cover it and there is nobody to ask eg how many bags/bales high before the building collapses :?
workshop.jpg
(58.86 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 20 Feb 2019 15:27

JaS wrote:
20 Feb 2019 12:51
The building regs don't really cover it and there is nobody to ask eg how many bags/bales high before the building collapses :?
:lol:

An 9 story appartment building was done here in France, in 2012 or 2013 I think. So you can go quite high. The highest I've worked on myself was 2 stories, private residences, which is what most selfbuild projects will deal with.

There is pro help available here ranging from design to actual building help; it must exist on your side of the water.

There are also plenty of books on various techniques. Here is the one that got me started on the earthbag kick:
https://49thshelf.com/Books/E/Earthbag-Building-PDF

Plenty of videos on YT also.

As for speedy built, it is not always the case. I've worked on participatory projects where a 10-12 people team can do the outside walls and roof in 2 weeks for a 2 story building. But the project I help on right now, I've been there for a bit over a year. We've built what will become the workshops but is the living quarters for the couple while the house is being built. Overall, this project is going to take 2-3 years; most of the time there is just 2 of us working so that it can't go too fast.

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 21 Feb 2019 03:24

That video is really neat. Great idea for a summer home at a location too remote for a "mobile" home or such. I would want to see how they handle utilities and such though. A concrete slab would seem to be needed as well.