How Loud Do YOU Play Your Music?

anything and nothing
Tonya James

Re: How Loud Do YOU Play Your Music?

Post by Tonya James » 18 Feb 2018 01:48

Hey Folks...
I've always liked a bit of punch to my music regarding volume. But, it's never been as important as a good sound, which suits any volume. I've always got a kick from an album cover that requests the listener to play at maximum volume...
David Bowie 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars' 1972 RCA International.jpg
David Bowie 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars' 1972 RCA International
(339.24 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Kiss My Poodles Donkey 'New Hope for the Dead' recorded 1992 A Hot Record Aust. - Shock Records Aust..jpg
Kiss My Poodles Donkey 'New Hope for the Dead' recorded 1992 A Hot Record Aust. - Shock Records Aust.
(194.89 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
I have one Australian album on Waterfront Records by Massappeal. They have a phrase "I want everything to be louder than everything else", it was printed on my favourite T-shirt, which I still have, although a bit tattered. I came across it yesterday after a thread relating the 'Mystery Runout Etchings', where I found it etched into the Vinyl as well.
Massappeal 'JAZZ' 1989 Waterfront Records Aust..JPG
Massappeal 'JAZZ' 1989 Waterfront Records Aust.
(109.54 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
But, I don't usually pump it for very long these days. I still like to 'feel' my music, especially when psy navigating. Lot's of variables as written above, depending on mood and circumstance.

And, I'm lucky I don't have ear damage after Motorhead, Central Coast Leagues Club, in 1984. My ears were ringing for three days.

The loudest gig for me was 'Torche' in Brisbane. Unbearably loud. Totally ruined the night.

Thanks...

mythrenegade

Post by mythrenegade » 20 Feb 2018 04:40

The app I use on my iPhone matches up to the dB meters at work surprisingly well. And it says I’m playing it between 60 and 70db using Lp.A fast.

Sometimes I play it louder, usually when I am really focusing on the music not surfing Vinyl Engine with my iPad...

Joel

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 14 Nov 2018 06:43

85 to 95 db, I like to reproduce exactly what it sounds like in the band, not on the 20th row back.

jc_the_trucker

Post by jc_the_trucker » 15 Nov 2018 22:22

Loud enough to rattle the cabinet doors on the back wall of my listening room, so I open them. I usually reserve that for when I'm home alone. The neighbors haven't complained yet.

AlwaysAirborne
United States of America

Post by AlwaysAirborne » 07 Dec 2018 01:06

I like my women hot, my cars fast, and my music LOUD. Live concert volume is where its at. Of course reality tempers those preferences. I play loud rock on the weekends, but have to keep things more moderate during the week to avoid the wrath of my neighbors.

Grumpyoldgit1956
Wales

Post by Grumpyoldgit1956 » 07 Dec 2018 10:30

I only listen through headphones these days, either AKG K812 Pro's or the exceptionally good Sennheiser HD 540 reference, a classic can from yesteryear.

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 07 Dec 2018 14:03

I play mine pretty loud, but because most of the time Im listening to Rock and Dance music.
If I was sitting in front of the speakers playing classical or soft music, it wouldnt make sense to play it loud. I live in my own house, so I dont have to worry about neighbors.
But when its loud, nothing sounds shrill to me.

R_Polli
Germany

Post by R_Polli » 07 Dec 2018 18:46

If I want to play my (own) music, I take my bass guitar plug into my 400 watt amp and let the sow out with two matching speakers :twisted:
If I want to hear music in the living room, I have to respect the neighbors. Unfortunately, loud music is only about headphones [-X

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 08 Dec 2018 01:45

These days, between 70 and 80db. Then again, I've had some tinitis for years so I had to turn it down.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 08 Dec 2018 04:39

If you get ringing in your ears after a concert or after listening to your stereo, you have caused permanent damage to your ears.
Your future hearing will not be as good.
Listening to music is one of my greatest pleasures in life, so I take precautions to avoid ear damage.
I ALWAYS wear ear protection when using my lawnmower or snowblower or chainsaw, etc..
I'm saddened to see how many people don't safeguard their hearing.

For many years, almost every concert was WAY too loud. I got in the habit of bringing ear plugs.
I once walked out of an REM show because it was so painful. It was in a stadium in Seattle. No assigned seats. I found myself literally hiding behind pillars to get away from the sound.
I was never a big REM fan, anyway, and it was a "free" show (part of a very large festival with multiple stages and one price to get into the grounds). So, I left and wandered off to a different show.
I don't go to a lot of concerts these day, but I went to several in the past few years. Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, David Byrne, Brian Wilson, Willie Nelson. None of them were too loud. Maybe because those guys are all old. But it made me think maybe things are changing.
At home, I mostly listen at pretty low-moderate levels. Even at really loud levels, I don't have to worry about bothering neighbors. I'm in an old schoolhouse with thick brick walls. Not much sound escapes even when it's very loud.
Occasionally I will turn it up loud enough that it would be uncomfortable to listen for more than 15 minutes or so. I never get close to ear ringing level.