Let's Talk Photography!

anything and nothing
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Let's Talk Photography!

Post by Tinkaroo » 03 Dec 2019 11:49

I agree that what some see as rules of photography are more like guidelines.

At one time in history people never smiled in photographs and the photographers used big box cameras and flash powder. Photography has gone through many changes since then.

It used to be that photography was with film, but there was room for cameras from a Kodak Brownie and more expensive Hasselblad or Leica. The Japanese brought us some great SLRs too with Pentax,Minolta,Canon, Nikon , Mamiya and many others.

With the advent of digital, the initial examples were primitive, slow and expensive but since the early days they have progressed in leaps and bounds.Most photographers use digital now, and some cut their teeth on film and now use digital. It allows them to do a lot more with the images post exposure, and also to know if the picture is worth saving or not. They can take a lot of photos and not have to change rolls every 24 or 36 frames.

There have always been people who take a keen interest in photography and try to learn how to take better pictures, but so many more who just want to share memories. In that way it's similar to music, You have those who like music but don't know how to use a record player or who sang what, then some like us who are more fanatical. In both cases it's all about enjoying what you're doing.
Let's encourage people to share some photos.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 03 Dec 2019 15:30

I'm not going to get drawn into an argument here. I liked the three of the photos I referenced, Terry-a.

All I was stating was with a slight change of perspective and composition they could potentially have been even more agreeable and pleasing. The rule of thirds is not some meaningless concept drawn up by Photographers, it has a psychological basis in that the eye is drawn to certain points in a photograph, usually in lines roughly one third apart so composing with elements on those points tends to be more agreeable.

Digital photography allowed the masses to take more pictures, which is a good thing, and drove social media usage as it is independent of language. When film prevailed, people tended to concentrate more on the picture being taken as they knew they only had a certain number of shots. Digital allows you to shoot as many as you want so they tend not to concentrate so much on the technical aspects as most issues can be corrected in software later.

Anyway, back to sharing our 'snaps'. ;-)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 03 Dec 2019 19:21

Since we are back to sharing our snaps, I thought you guys might like to see a few more from a recent trip up north I took back in October...And I think sometimes, it's not the medium you use, but the subjects you take pictures of that just lend themselves to good photos... :D

And yes, my friends, I was up in the Mackinaw City area of Michigan here on a bit of a family trip for a week (I was fortunate to have the time off...) to check out the fall colors and visit some old friends...

So, care to take another adventure with me??? :-k

The bridge does look lovely, no? :-k

It did hail on the first night I went up...

...but mostly, everything turned out OK...There were some great restaurants I visited...Such as this place in Mackinaw City, that boasts the largest hot dog statue in the world...

http://ncfi.com/news/giant-hotdog-sculp ... pray-foam/

I mean we do have the largest cherry pie in Charlevoix, so why not the world's biggest hot dog sculpture? :-k

Here are a few views of the place, called Wienerlicious...

All kinds of hot dogs there...Of course, I had to try the Chicago-style hot dog...And, YES, it was awesome! =P~ The secret's in the celery salt, by the way...

Of course, I did see quite a few lighthouses again...I bought this passport book, too, the last time, where you can get a special rubber stamp for every lighthouse you visit...I've got seven stamps in the book now, although we've probably seen at least 25-26 lighthouses so far...When I go back in the summer, there is a gift shop in Mackinaw City that has most of the stamps for all the Great Lakes lighthouses, so when they're open, maybe I'll fill the rest of the book with stamps from some of the other lighthouses I've visited to this point...I only wish I had known about the book earlier...In any case, here is the one at Old Mackinac Point...

And then, one further to the west at McGulpin Point...I actually got to climb the tower of this one, as they were open till the end of October...

The next day, we took a leisurely excursion to Harbor Springs, just north of Petoskey and followed the M-119 road through the "Tunnel Of Trees"...It's a very narrow road that follows the shoreline to the West, but there is some beautiful scenery there...

Here is the old general store in Good Hart, about halfway through the "Tunnel", which is a good 20-mile ride...

There were lots of trees in full color when we went up...I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice... :(

Finally, we had dinner in a little place called Cross Village...

...In a legendary restaurant called Legs Inn, named for the stove legs that were used as bannisters on the top of the building...It has a very outdoorsy look to it inside with all kinds of odd sculptures and deer antler art...The Polish food there is unbelievable, but they serve all types of dishes...

This was where I saw the Zoltar machine mentioned earlier on my thread about the Stahl's museum...

There was also an interesting AC/DC pinball machine there in the arcade, just for you metalheads...

Time to go home, but another adventure the next day...This time, up to Mackinac Island by ferry boat! And yes, there are no cars allowed on the island and you have to watch your step there, so you don't step in any horse dung...I hadn't been up there in years, so I wondered how much things had changed...Well, apparently not too much (aside from a few new shops), as they love and cherish their history there...Here is the great Grand Hotel, seen in the film, "Somewhere In Time"...

And of course, there is the famous Arch Rock...

We did some shopping and had a bite to eat, but then, back to the motel we were staying at, which gave us a good view of the bridge and Old Mackinac Point light...

After that excursion, it was back down U.S. 23 to see more fall colors...

...and visit the Cheboygan area...It was actually quite windy on that day and the waves were really pounding the shoreline of Lake Huron...

...but we visited some more lighthouses...The Cheboygan Crib Light...

...and the 40-Mile Point Light near Rogers City...

Then, our descent down to visit some friends along Houghton Lake...But first, we stopped at this cool little waterfall...The only one in the Lower Peninsula and the most universally accessible in the country, I believe...Ocqueoc Falls, my friends... :D

We stayed at some cabins for a night that used to be owned by my aunt and uncle before they sold the place...They were pretty much as I remembered them, with a few changes...The next day before heading out to Houghton Lake, we decided to explore the Huron side of Michigan and visited a few more lights...It's a beautiful area, no? :-k

First up was the Old Presque Isle Light...

Then, the New Presque Isle Light, not much further, which replaced the old one...It's one of the tallest on the Huron side...

This was taken at the furthest point you can go out by the water...

And of course, more fall colors and lovely birch trees...

And past Alpena, we visited some more old friends in a little town called Ossineke...good ol' Paul Bunyan and his blue ox, Babe! :)

Back at Houghton Lake, our friends wanted to take us out to Frankenmuth on a journey, so I got to spend some time as mentioned before in Greta Van Fleet's hometown...

Here is the old covered bridge there...

And for you guys that love records and don't like to see them mutilated, you might want to turn away...For all others, this was some unusual art I saw in one of the shops there...

Wild, eh??? Of course, Greta was promoted there, as well...

Finally, after a couple of days visiting and spending time with friends, it was time to return home, but another great adventure in the wilds of Northern Michigan...Nice, eh??? 8)

Hopefully, there will be many more adventures to come, but I thought you guys might like to see those for now...Stay tuned to this channel for updates as time goes on... :D

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 03 Dec 2019 20:09

Thanks for sharing those photos VM! =D>

Frankenmuth and Mackinaw Island are two of my favorite places to visit in Michigan. I hope you had some of the fried chicken.

Having a handy camera to document some interesting sites while vacationing can help preserve some of the great memories for another day.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 04 Dec 2019 00:32

terry-a, I liked your "long" post. From trying to produce an "artistic" photograph to impress others, you have come back to the joy of doing something because you like it.
I worked in photography for many years, and working it always means having to please someone else.
Then we had special needs foster children for years, so not much more than snapshots of the kids.
The kids are long gone, and the photo business even longer gone. Now I can just shoot because I like doing it. If I see something that I like, I can pay attention to the angles and the light. The instant digital image means I can assess it, and make adjustments, without paying for film and processing time. It is fun again. And I think I am learning to see through my own eyes.

Cheers,
Alec

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Dec 2019 00:44

Tinkaroo wrote:
03 Dec 2019 20:09

Frankenmuth and Mackinaw Island are two of my favorite places to visit in Michigan. I hope you had some of the fried chicken.

Having a handy camera to document some interesting sites while vacationing can help preserve some of the great memories for another day.
Absolutely, Tink...The chicken dinner was divine and the Bavarian Inn was hopping! :wink:

A good tip: Don't order a drink and stick to water to save some $$$...Also, go for the all-you-can-eat meal over the individual meal...You can share the dishes with friends, as well... :D

I take it you've been here a time or two??? :-k

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 04 Dec 2019 01:12

That was quite a trip VM^^^^

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 04 Dec 2019 01:18

Alec124c41 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 00:32
terry-a, I liked your "long" post. From trying to produce an "artistic" photograph to impress others, you have come back to the joy of doing something because you like it.
I worked in photography for many years, and working it always means having to please someone else.
Then we had special needs foster children for years, so not much more than snapshots of the kids.
The kids are long gone, and the photo business even longer gone. Now I can just shoot because I like doing it. If I see something that I like, I can pay attention to the angles and the light. The instant digital image means I can assess it, and make adjustments, without paying for film and processing time. It is fun again. And I think I am learning to see through my own eyes.

Cheers,
Alec
Thanks Alec.

I'm a contractor who wears a nail belt all day doing carpentry. Usually the last thing I want to do when I come home is more carpentry, but when I build a plinth or speakers a media cabinet I approach it much differently than I do when working for a paycheck. I luxuriate in the process and take as much time as I want to take to make things just so. If I can't give myself that kind of time to do the work, I don't do it, which is why I haven't built any plinths or speakers lately. Just too busy working. This is the same reason I haven't been shooting lately. Although I did manage to take a recent vacation to Colorado and Utah where I shot some photos, mostly with my iPhone while on mountain bike rides. The SLR only came out occasionally. Perhaps I'll post some of those photos here if I have time. :D

I'm glad you're enjoying photography again.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Dec 2019 01:52

terry-a wrote:
04 Dec 2019 01:12
That was quite a trip VM^^^^
Yes, it was, terry-a! :) I think when you go out into Nature and bring whatever camera you have, the scenery just lends itself to good pictures...That and getting the timing right...I took a lot more pics than these, and the nice thing is that no matter how the pics turn out, there are ways, methods and programs for making any photo look better nowadays...You can crop them, rotate them and re-arrange them to your liking...It's much different than it used to be before the Internet, but at the same time, it gives everyone an opportunity to take good photos and/or fix the bad ones...In any case, going up there during the off-season meant that many of the places we visited were not as busy as they were during the tourist season and the rates for lodging were much cheaper...Something to think about for those of you who like to plan trips... :-k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 04 Dec 2019 21:07

vinyl master wrote:
04 Dec 2019 00:44
Tinkaroo wrote:

Absolutely, Tink...The chicken dinner was divine and the Bavarian Inn was hopping! :wink:

A good tip: Don't order a drink and stick to water to save some $$$...Also, go for the all-you-can-eat meal over the individual meal...You can share the dishes with friends, as well... :D

Yes a few times and it's one of those places I really miss!

Zehnders is also excellent for home style chicken and all the fixins! I can't agree on sticking to water with so many great German beers being available.

If you go back make sure you go to the cheese haus just down the road from there.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Dec 2019 21:21

Tinkaroo wrote:
04 Dec 2019 21:07
vinyl master wrote:
04 Dec 2019 00:44
Tinkaroo wrote:

Yes a few times and it's one of those places I really miss!

Zehnders is also excellent for home style chicken and all the fixins! I can't agree on sticking to water with so many great German beers being available.

If you go back make sure you go to the cheese haus just down the road from there.
Yes, the beers are great...I only mention that as a budget option for those saving their money for the many gift shops and stores there now! :wink:

We chose the "family style meal" over the individual "chicken plates"...For a few dollars more, it's all-you-can-eat and you get more options...For a group of four or five, it's plenty enough! :D

https://bavarianinn.com/wp-content/uplo ... b-2019.pdf

And yes, I wholeheartdly approve of Zehnder's, as well! Good memories of both places! 8)

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 05 Dec 2019 10:59

A few years ago I took these photos at a friends place. Unfortunately the friend passed on a few years back but these photos are a way of remembering them and their talent and artistry in decorating for the season.
325R.jpg
(129.43 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
323R.jpg
(91.15000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
324R.jpg
(175.64 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
312R.jpg
(92.58 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
313R.jpg
(130.13 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Dec 2019 11:06

Very nice, Tink...And nothing like a few lights to get one in the holiday spirit! 8)

I must say, too, that I once had a neighbor like that...this guy who went all out with his Christmas decorations...Even had the lights moving to the music...He had it set up where you could tune to a spot on the AM radio dial of your car radio and hear the song as the lights moved to it...Pretty cool! =D>

Of course, needless to say, he had a lot of traffic stopping by his house to check out the festivities... #-o

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 05 Dec 2019 15:46

terry-a wrote:
02 Dec 2019 21:51
No one here is asking for critiques.
Really? What does Let's talk about photography means then?

Should the name of the thread be: Let's give me a pat on the back and absolutely not talk about photography?

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 05 Dec 2019 18:34

vinyl master wrote:
05 Dec 2019 11:06
Very nice, Tink...And nothing like a few lights to get one in the holiday spirit! 8)

I must say, too, that I once had a neighbor like that...this guy who went all out with his Christmas decorations...Even had the lights moving to the music...He had it set up where you could tune to a spot on the AM radio dial of your car radio and hear the song as the lights moved to it...Pretty cool! =D>

Of course, needless to say, he had a lot of traffic stopping by his house to check out the festivities... #-o
Thanks VM!

Yes that sounds like a very memorable display and something a lot of people would look forward to seeing. Much like the Christmas displays in the shop windows at the big department stores we had as kids, like the one Ralphie and his friends enjoyed in A Christmas Story. 8)