AR The Turntable - Newbie project.

american simplicity
Danjoswal

AR The Turntable - Newbie project.

Post by Danjoswal » 09 Mar 2017 23:46

Hi guys,

I've had turntables in the past and I've had a growing collection of vinyl since I can remember, but I never bothered taking the hobby seriously. Always ran a cheap TT through a cheap DJ mixer etc..

Well, I've bought an AR 'The Turntable' to start a semi-serious setup so I'm making a bit of a project of it. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
unspecified4.jpg
(424.85 KiB) Downloaded 823 times
unspecified5.jpg
(400.83 KiB) Downloaded 811 times
The first thing I've noticed after inspecting this TT is that the main spindle bearing looks rusted (it's brown) and when spinning the sub platter in it, it makes a kind of faint scratching/grinding noise. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is the main spindle bearing meant to rotate (it doesn't) or is it just a bushing? and should it look/sound like this? If not, how do I fix it?
unspecified.jpg
Main Spindle Bearing
(355.79 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
The second thing is that the spring at the rear of the sub-chassis is red, I'm guessing this isn't a stock component?
unspecified2.jpg
Sub-Chassis
(382.95 KiB) Downloaded 805 times
unspecified3.jpg
Rear Spring
(84.98 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
Lastly, I'm planning on putting a Linn tonearm (Basik/Akito) on this TT and would love any reccommendations for cartridges, amps, speakers etc that would suit this particular rig. I listen to soul and funk music predominantly. I'm building a whole new system and budget is limited, although if justified I will splash out on certain components. Is it a good idea to buy vintage amps and speakers?

Thanks in advance, Dan.

snfrosten
long player
long player

Re: AR The Turntable - Newbie project.

Post by snfrosten » 10 Mar 2017 01:01

It's a brass sleeve so it will be brown and is not rusty, probably a good cleaning and lube with a light oil will reduce the noise. Make sure you have the small white trust bearing plate at the bottom of the well.
The red spring is stock, to accommodate a heavier arm.

Danjoswal

Post by Danjoswal » 10 Mar 2017 08:18

Many thanks for your reply snfrosten! Very helpful!

Larry8

Post by Larry8 » 10 Mar 2017 14:18

I don't have the red spring on mine, which is interesting. Wonder why some have it and some don't.

Is the thrust bearing visible and if it's missing are there places that offer a replacement?

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 11 Mar 2017 02:35

Use sewing machine oil for the main bearing.

Here is a little video form Vinyl Nirvana that shows basic maintenance on an AR AX - pretty much same basics as you newer AR - ignore the tonearm stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIHiMrA--vw&t=22s

Danjoswal

Post by Danjoswal » 18 Mar 2017 18:31

Thanks for the replies guys.
snfrosten wrote:Make sure you have the small white trust bearing plate at the bottom of the well.
I don't believe I have one of these. It's quite hard to identify what's at the bottom of the well actually, it just looks metallic to me. Where might I get one?

Larry8

Post by Larry8 » 18 Mar 2017 19:05

I found the bearing in mine. It's just a white plastic disc. I was able to stick the rear end of a pencil down the shaft and the disc got stuck to the eraser.

Tuza

Post by Tuza » 19 Mar 2017 14:24

Hi Danjoswal -
The sub-platter should rotate in complete silence. If after a good lube you still hear any noise you may think about investigating options to clean. Is the spindle clean and smooth? If yes, then there may be some issue in the well.
My AR was manufactured in July 1984 - I also have the red spring on the tone-arm pier. I'm wondering if there may have been a change in production.
Larry8 - what is the date on your S/N label?

Larry8

Post by Larry8 » 19 Mar 2017 15:07

Hi, I've seen other labels with the complete month, day, year date format, but mine just has "561 '85 41" so it would seem the year is 1985 but don't know what is represented by the "561" or "41"
Attachments
IMG_20170319_095930.jpg
(412.24 KiB) Downloaded 720 times

Larry8

Post by Larry8 » 19 Mar 2017 15:15

Tuza: I think my "AR" emblem on the front is different than yours too.
Attachments
IMG_20170305_085456.jpg
(451.62 KiB) Downloaded 717 times

Tuza

Post by Tuza » 19 Mar 2017 19:18

Larry8 - yes, your badge is different. My AR logo is on a field of black. I have some pics in the gallery so you can see the difference.
Here's my S/N label. AR (or Teledyne) must have changed the date code format.

I purchased mine new - without tonearm. The red spring on the armboard pylon was standard at that time. That could have changed as well.

Be interesting if other owners could chime in with a quick note about red spring or no and date - even if only year - on S/N label.
Attachments
AR S-N Info.jpg
1984 AR SN label
(143.29 KiB) Downloaded 708 times

Larry8

Post by Larry8 » 20 Mar 2017 00:52

This is one I found from ebay that resembles mine in that the logo is the same and it also has the additional logo on the headshell. There is no date code on the serial number label, but later ones (like mine) seem to be more easily rubbed away. S0 I'm thinking these changes were added sometime after 1984.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-AR-Turntabl ... 7675.l2557

Tuza

Post by Tuza » 20 Mar 2017 18:27

Sounds about right - and the dust-cover from the one on the eBay link has a logo on it as well. Mine does not.
Thinking about the red spring. It appears that the red spring is a heavier gauge than the others. I give more thought about the gauge of the spring on the arm-board than the color.

Larry8

Post by Larry8 » 20 Mar 2017 19:36

I did adjust all the springs last week and from what I remember the gauges were the same for all three, but I can double check.

Very cool that you've had yours since it was new. We are in very different situations as I just got mine and am still working to get it running. Waiting on a belt to arrive in the mail and also need to install a cartridge. Seems the previous owner(s) took good care of it over the past three decades. It has a lacewood tonearm and a rega rb300arm.

Once I get everything sorted out I will purchase a cartridge. My budget is $100 and I think I'll try the Ortofon 2m red. I have a denon DL-110 moving coil on my sansui turntable and I love the way it sounds but those are currently selling for more than I want to spend.

Tuza

Post by Tuza » 21 Mar 2017 17:35

Danjoswal wrote:Lastly, I'm planning on putting a Linn tonearm (Basik/Akito) on this TT and would love any reccommendations for cartridges, amps, speakers etc that would suit this particular rig. I listen to soul and funk music predominantly. I'm building a whole new system and budget is limited, although if justified I will splash out on certain components. Is it a good idea to buy vintage amps and speakers?
Hi Danjoswal,
Since you are in the UK you might also consider a used SME Series III arm. I'm guessing you may have a decent aftermarket for these models.
I prejudiced since I have one on my AR and it's a very nice match. The Akito is likely a very good choice as well. New price is a bit intimidating to me but then I'm not sure what the market is for the Series III. ~ Tuza