AR The Turntable Belt Slipping

american simplicity
MacBrush

AR The Turntable Belt Slipping

Post by MacBrush » 28 Mar 2007 12:02

I recently bought an AR the turntable. Also known as The Legend I believe. To begin with the belt it came with kept slipping when on 45rpm. The 33 1/3 seemed to be okay. I tried moving the pulley slightly on it's spindle but this didn't help. I have also tried new belts which as they were new were slightly tighter, this didn't help either. The belt continues to slip from 45 to 33. The other problem I now have is that as i've fiddled around with the pulley it is now loose on the spindle (thought I could fix this with a spot of superglue). Anybody got any ideas? Bearing in mind the motor is set up for UK current and voltage. I thought I might need a new pulley. Sorry if this seems like I don't know what i'm doing but that's because I don't.

ideas

Post by Guest » 28 Mar 2007 13:25

if your lucky it is just this
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7946/belt001wq4.jpg

if not then try this..these are both from the AR "the turntable " manual.
note # 9
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/646/armanuc1.jpg

ddarch

Post by ddarch » 29 Mar 2007 02:45

Speaking as somebody who has worked on a table that has had a superglued pulley...PLEASE DON'T!

Instead, go to your hardware store and buy a "Loctite" product.

Besides that, Ernie gives great advice.

D

MacBrush

Post by MacBrush » 09 Apr 2007 15:49

ddarch wrote:Speaking as somebody who has worked on a table that has had a superglued pulley...PLEASE DON'T!

D
Which loctite product? Do you mean some of the threadlocker products which they sell and if so which one?
Thanks,
M

try this first

Post by Guest » 09 Apr 2007 17:39

the point he is trying to make is that super glue is a permanent solution...some thread lockers such as locktite are not..they can be released with hand tools ..other require heat.
I would try something like finger nail polish or varnish first...My pulley comes off with a gentle tug..thats the way I like it..it does not slip

if your belt is slipping something is wrong with the adjustment or the belts condition i.e. worn out, dirty,wrong one, wrong side placed against the drive platter.

Abandonflip
long player
long player

Post by Abandonflip » 09 Apr 2007 21:21

MacBrush wrote:
ddarch wrote:Speaking as somebody who has worked on a table that has had a superglued pulley...PLEASE DON'T!

D
Which loctite product? Do you mean some of the threadlocker products which they sell and if so which one?
Thanks,
M
Stud & Bearing Fit would be the one you need. Once you've stopped the spindle spinning within the pulley, it's time to look at belt wear and adjustment, as Ernie L suggests.

MacBrush

Post by MacBrush » 04 May 2007 14:37

Many thanks gentlemen. I have followed your advice and I now have a working TT. Remarkable what a bit of Talc can do.

ricknance
England

Re: AR The Turntable Belt Slipping

Post by ricknance » 15 Apr 2019 14:37

Hi y'all.

Same problem almost here. I've done all the described and gone through the manual, talc, alcohol, etc.
However, the 45rpm part of the spindle just throws the belt off. When I watched it (without the outer ring on) it was coming off the inner platter. Can't see where it's coming off when started with the platter on.

Works beautifully for 33.3 though.

Best,

rick

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 15 Apr 2019 15:21

Make sure the belt is correct size. Vinyl Nirvana sells correct belts - other suppliers tend to sell undersized belts. The thickness of the belt material matters. Adjust, and consider replacing, the suspension springs. Remove the turntable bottom plate, set it on four soup cans so you can reach underneath to adjust. To check the running of the belt and susoension, set the outer platter on the inner upside down, put the platter mat on top of the platter with a record and clamp/weight if you use it. You must have the same platter weight to adjust the suspension and belt centering. My guess is your suspension has a slight tilt so it is not parrarel to the pully surface.

ricknance
England

Post by ricknance » 15 Apr 2019 17:08

Kevin!

Perfect! Thanks. That was it.

Only to find out the motor can't push it at that speed for some reason. But man, just hitting that one troubleshooting wall is a big help.
Checking lubricant weights around the house now. Assuming sewing machine oil or musical valve/key oils are too thin.

Thanks!
Rick

ricknance
England

Post by ricknance » 15 Apr 2019 17:28

or more talc on the belt

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 16 Apr 2019 02:48

Talc allows the belt slip at start up, like a clutch. You don't need a huge amount of talc. Sewing machine oil is exactly what you want to lube the motor bearing. Use just a drop, don't over do it. Don't get it on the belt or pulley.

ricknance
England

Post by ricknance » 17 Apr 2019 00:42

It's all hunky dory now. that's the kind of thing I'd never ever think of. Of course the manual helps, but still.

I have a box of maybe 25 or 30 Table of the Elements 45s I've never heard. Fixing that now.

cheers,
r