Source for AR Replacement Motors

american simplicity
Post Reply
AR_Legend
junior member
junior member
Posts: 21
Joined: 24 Sep 2009 16:20
Location: Massachusetts

Post by AR_Legend » 07 Dec 2010 23:16

I don't know for sure if this a a direct replacement for the XA/XB 'tables as I don't have one. I have the model that was introduced circa 1983 and it is a direct replacement unless, like me, you have an early serial numbered one.

They shifted to the Hurst Model A 3001-001 sometime later in the production cycle. The only difference that matters is that the distance between the motor mounting screws is wider on the Hurst 3001 requiring a redrill of the top plate on the earlier production units.

I paid about $43 plus about $5 shipping to a Massachusetts address.

akubacki
junior member
junior member
Posts: 12
Joined: 14 Jul 2016 22:55

Re: Source for AR Replacement Motors

Post by akubacki » 20 Jul 2019 16:34

The AR XA motor replacement is:
Hurst Model A Synchronous Instrument Motor
Part No. (1) 3001-001

Speed 300 RPM
115 Volts . 60 HZ 3 Watts
(Capacitor included)

You will need to drill and tap two new holes in the top plate to mount it.
Replace the the existing 0.1uf run capacitor to the included 0.22 uf capacitor.

andrew678122
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 95
Joined: 17 Jun 2019 03:00
Location: El Paso

Re: Source for AR Replacement Motors

Post by andrew678122 » 20 Jul 2019 20:33

akubacki wrote:
20 Jul 2019 16:34
The AR XA motor replacement is:
Hurst Model A Synchronous Instrument Motor
Part No. (1) 3001-001

Speed 300 RPM
115 Volts . 60 HZ 3 Watts
(Capacitor included)

You will need to drill and tap two new holes in the top plate to mount it.
Replace the the existing 0.1uf run capacitor to the included 0.22 uf capacitor.
I put a Hurst A3001-001 on my AR XA, I drilled new holes in the top plate, countersunk them and used 6-32 countersunk screws, lock washers, and nuts. I drilled the two holes in a line at right angles to the existing screw holes — they're invisible until you take the platter off. I also needed a pulley to fit the larger shaft on the Hurst motor — that came from Dave at VinylNirvana. The Hurst motor comes with the cap required, I got it online from AlliedElec.com for about $70 and in about 3 days. Allied also sells just about any other electrical component you might need.

oztayls
member
member
Posts: 108
Joined: 12 Dec 2017 08:04
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Source for AR Replacement Motors

Post by oztayls » 20 Aug 2019 23:23

I've used this motor for various turntables. I have an XB1 that came in yesterday with a sticky motor, so will drop in one of these if it won't free up.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ac-motor ... /?sra=pmpn

https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs ... 5922b7.pdf

andrew678122
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 95
Joined: 17 Jun 2019 03:00
Location: El Paso

Re: Source for AR Replacement Motors

Post by andrew678122 » 21 Aug 2019 00:06

I'm curious, that's a 250rpm motor intended for 50hz power, do the turntables use a different size pulley?

edit: okay, according to the data sheet with the right cap you can run it at 117vac 60hz and 300rpm, the shaft is 3mm or .118 inch though...
Last edited by andrew678122 on 21 Aug 2019 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

oztayls
member
member
Posts: 108
Joined: 12 Dec 2017 08:04
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Source for AR Replacement Motors

Post by oztayls » 21 Aug 2019 00:24

andrew678122 wrote:
21 Aug 2019 00:06
I'm curious, that's a 250rpm motor intended for 50hz power, do the turntables use a different size pulley?
If you run the motor at 250rpm at 50Hz use a 50Hz pulley. If you run it at 60Hz/300rpm use a 60Hz pulley. The wiring diagrams are in the PDF link. However, I've only run these at 50Hz because I'm in Australia. Just run it as suits your location. I've used these motors in Linn, ERA and AR.

andrew678122
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 95
Joined: 17 Jun 2019 03:00
Location: El Paso

Re: Source for AR Replacement Motors

Post by andrew678122 » 21 Aug 2019 00:35

oztayls wrote:
21 Aug 2019 00:24
andrew678122 wrote:
21 Aug 2019 00:06
I'm curious, that's a 250rpm motor intended for 50hz power, do the turntables use a different size pulley?
If you run the motor at 250rpm at 50Hz use a 50Hz pulley. If you run it at 60Hz/300rpm use a 60Hz pulley. The wiring diagrams are in the PDF link. However, I've only run these at 50Hz because I'm in Australia. Just run it as suits your location. I've used these motors in Linn, ERA and AR.
They look like they'd be a worthwhile option to consider...

oztayls
member
member
Posts: 108
Joined: 12 Dec 2017 08:04
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Source for AR Replacement Motors

Post by oztayls » 21 Aug 2019 01:15

[/quote]

They look like they'd be a worthwhile option to consider...
[/quote]

Very reliable motors and silent. If you look under the hoods of the early Linn Sondeks and ERAs, a version of this Premotec is what you'll find. The ERAs had a 48pole version and the wiring diagram was printed on the motor itself! Not too pricey either.

By the way, the old Haydon in the XB1 that came in yesterday is running sweetly now. It wasn't budging, But I sprayed it with some CRC 5-56 and worked the motor by hand with the pulley on until it started to move. Not plugged in of course! A few more sprays and it was free enough to run by itself with the usual tic tic tic sound. Followed up the CRC spray with 3in1 machine oil and let it run for an hour, topping up the well when the oil had soaked in. The ticking sound is now gone and it's dead quiet. Result!

Post Reply