Source for AR Replacement Motors

american simplicity
NikYZF
Posts: 3
Joined: 17 Jan 2009 18:51
Location: Northampton, UK

Post by NikYZF » 19 Sep 2009 18:17

Hi everyone.

I've owned an XA since I bought it new in 1973. The motor makes an obvious ticking noise, with or without the belt fitted, i.e., I know it's the motor and nothing else.

I'm hoping to replace the motor for not many £ so I need to be clear what the options are. As I understand it,

There is no source for a new Hayden motor or another make with identical specs.

These Hurst motors can be used but will involve some work as the mounting holes do not match those used by the Hayden:-
3001-001 115V low torque
3001-005 230V low torque
3009-001 115V high torque

As mine is a UK model, should I go for 115 or 230V? Is there a downside to the higher torque model, such as more vibration?

Sorry if I'm repeating old questions but the thread is confusing because it's not always clear which TT people are talking about.

solex
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 170
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 01:32
Location: New York

Post by solex » 21 Sep 2009 17:45

Have you tried to rebuild? Check my thread on how to rebuild...

NikYZF
Posts: 3
Joined: 17 Jan 2009 18:51
Location: Northampton, UK

Post by NikYZF » 21 Sep 2009 21:02

solex wrote:Have you tried to rebuild? Check my thread on how to rebuild...
Thanks. I'll see if I can find it.

panman
member
member
Posts: 138
Joined: 15 Apr 2003 22:45
Location: upstate new york

new motor

Post by panman » 23 Sep 2009 21:07

heres one on ebay dont pay more than $54.00
ebay item #270458299994
pan

mrclarkie2
Posts: 2
Joined: 03 Mar 2008 04:29
Location: Jersey

Hurst Motor

Post by mrclarkie2 » 17 Jan 2010 23:21

I just ordered one from Hurst, it is 67 delivered, and they take pay pal.

They have a great variety of dc motors on the site, but I don't know enough about setting up a controller.

pivo
Posts: 1
Joined: 28 Dec 2009 03:04
Location: Cincinnati oh

Re: New Hurst website www.hurst-motors.com

Post by pivo » 24 Jan 2010 21:17

Pivot wrote
Interesting - anybody given thought to the 24 volt 3001-003 and DIY a Speed-Box-like clone?
I was looking at the 24Vhigh torque as a potential replacement on my "The" and was thinking of posting this same question.

Though a real power supply would be nice, there could also be an advantage just using this motor with a simple 24 V ps ( a la http://www.smarthome.com/3061/24VAC-Pow ... 440/p.aspx

Sound of the wood is offering a 22V option, which they say reduces hum. This 24 might do the same. Keeping 120V away from the table seems like a good idea.

Has anybody tried it?

Bob

mrclarkie2
Posts: 2
Joined: 03 Mar 2008 04:29
Location: Jersey

Post by mrclarkie2 » 01 Feb 2010 16:41

I received the 3009-001 motor that I ordered off the Hurst website, and soldered it in, it was pretty noisy, but I performed the Merrill Mod (easiest way is to just unscrew the motor and tap the bearing in tighter with a piece of hollow tubing (there are lots of choices at a good hardware store including roll pins, plastic spacers, etc) and a center punch to support the shaft. It tightened up with 1 tap, over tightened with 2, just follow the directions posted on VN.

I ran it in for 3 days and it is much quieter, but still makes some noise,but much less than new. I wrapped the motor in copper termite shield (plastic/butyl rubber and copper foil). The deck sounds superb, I will run in the motor some more, but I am very pleased with the sound I get now. The sound has a very quiet floor.
I carefully followed the set up and springing instructions (again), and chased out a loose ground (hate those hums)

The turntable is mounted on an interior log wall (only good thing about a log house) with 16 inch steel brackets, a 20 X 20 x 3/4 inch dense plywood base, topped by a 20 x 20 x 3/4 marble slab set on 4 sorbothane 1/2 balls.
Floor vibrations do not reach the deck but it has the marble for mass

The deck is on a set of screw in stainless steel points I scrounged from a throw away by the side of the road deck (go figure- saved $60 bucks), but my last set of feet was made with 1/2" brass nuts and 5/8" stainless steel ball bearings to keep the contact area between the deck and the marble small. I just set the nuts on the marble and set the ball bearings into the hole, place deck on top and voila, (cost me $8 for the set). Raising the deck on these contacts seemed to open up the sound.

Tone arm is a Grace 747, cartridge is an AQ rebuilt by Sound Smith, set up "by the book" for vta etc.

All of the rest my equipment is set on a home built cherry rack with double thick birch plywood shelves, (1 1/2" thick, faced with cherry and stained to match),it is heavy and stable. CD and DVD players are mounted on ball bearing feet.

Thanks a million to Vinyl Nirvana for all of the posted info, and to all of these posts and threads.

Good listening to all,


John

ddarch
moderator
Posts: 1046
Joined: 17 Dec 2002 01:57
Location: Seacoast, NH
Contact:

Post by ddarch » 01 Feb 2010 23:59

Hey John,

Thanks for the detailed report. I'll have to check out that termite shield...that's a first! Yep, the motor continues to be the sticking point in these tables. Start saving for a co-polymer pulley next, you will love what it does for speed consistency AND resonance control.

Dave

ddarch
moderator
Posts: 1046
Joined: 17 Dec 2002 01:57
Location: Seacoast, NH
Contact:

Post by ddarch » 16 May 2010 01:42

Bump.

ddarch
moderator
Posts: 1046
Joined: 17 Dec 2002 01:57
Location: Seacoast, NH
Contact:

Post by ddarch » 05 Nov 2010 21:44

Hi all,

What's the latest on getting a good deal on a Hurst 3001-001?

Dave

Guest

Post by Guest » 05 Nov 2010 22:23

mrclarkie2 wrote:I received the 3009-001 motor that I ordered off the Hurst website, and soldered it in, it was pretty noisy, but I performed the Merrill Mod (easiest way is to just unscrew the motor and tap the bearing in tighter with a piece of hollow tubing (there are lots of choices at a good hardware store including roll pins, plastic spacers, etc) and a center punch to support the shaft. It tightened up with 1 tap, over tightened with 2, just follow the directions posted on VN.

I ran it in for 3 days and it is much quieter, but still makes some noise,but much less than new. I wrapped the motor in copper termite shield (plastic/butyl rubber and copper foil). The deck sounds superb, I will run in the motor some more, but I am very pleased with the sound I get now. The sound has a very quiet floor.
I carefully followed the set up and springing instructions (again), and chased out a loose ground (hate those hums)

The turntable is mounted on an interior log wall (only good thing about a log house) with 16 inch steel brackets, a 20 X 20 x 3/4 inch dense plywood base, topped by a 20 x 20 x 3/4 marble slab set on 4 sorbothane 1/2 balls.
Floor vibrations do not reach the deck but it has the marble for mass

The deck is on a set of screw in stainless steel points I scrounged from a throw away by the side of the road deck (go figure- saved $60 bucks), but my last set of feet was made with 1/2" brass nuts and 5/8" stainless steel ball bearings to keep the contact area between the deck and the marble small. I just set the nuts on the marble and set the ball bearings into the hole, place deck on top and voila, (cost me $8 for the set). Raising the deck on these contacts seemed to open up the sound.

Tone arm is a Grace 747, cartridge is an AQ rebuilt by Sound Smith, set up "by the book" for vta etc.

All of the rest my equipment is set on a home built cherry rack with double thick birch plywood shelves, (1 1/2" thick, faced with cherry and stained to match),it is heavy and stable. CD and DVD players are mounted on ball bearing feet.

Thanks a million to Vinyl Nirvana for all of the posted info, and to all of these posts and threads.

Good listening to all,


John
Good to hear from you John. Don't be a stranger....happy spinning

Bump and pictures ..........

Guest

Post by Guest » 05 Nov 2010 23:49

A bit of research ...

Is the Hurst 3009-001 motor used to replace the original? if so , this is a 300 rpm @60 hz motor ..

http://www.hurst-motors.com/aabdirectdrive.html



here is another heavier and with more TQ , might be a lot quieter and smoother in operation than the 3009-001. I will have to contact Hurst for the difference between the two in regars to noise and bearings.....

http://www.hurst-motors.com/tdirectdrive.html


One is an A the other is an T type .........?


* 2601-001
* Item # Model T DD Synchronous Motor........ 98.51


* 3009-001
* Item # Model A DD Synchronous Motor........ 58.59

Guest

Post by Guest » 06 Nov 2010 20:49

Attempted to remove the noisy motor today , being an AR one came out easy the other is well , I'm going to have to drill it out ..... :x


I will let you know if it survives............ :evil:

AR_Legend
junior member
junior member
Posts: 21
Joined: 24 Sep 2009 16:20
Location: Massachusetts

Post by AR_Legend » 09 Nov 2010 01:10

ddarch wrote:Hi all,

What's the latest on getting a good deal on a Hurst 3001-001?

Dave
Over the summer I ordered a spare Hurst 3001-001 for my AR turntable from AB Tech Services in Hopedale, MA 800-225-9847. Lower cost than ordering off of the Hurst Web site.

michaelhigh
member
member
Posts: 51
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 22:14
Location: midwest

Post by michaelhigh » 06 Dec 2010 17:58

AR_Legend wrote:
ddarch wrote:Hi all,

What's the latest on getting a good deal on a Hurst 3001-001?

Dave
Over the summer I ordered a spare Hurst 3001-001 for my AR turntable from AB Tech Services in Hopedale, MA 800-225-9847. Lower cost than ordering off of the Hurst Web site.
Is this the direct replacement for an AR XA TT? How much? Any comment on shipping? Thanks for your response.

Post Reply