Hey Dan and Kevin...
Thanks for the kind compliments.
Means a lot comming from the members here!
thank you for sharing
Thank YOU for letting me, and taking the trouble to have
I am particulary interested in your full report as I have a XA with Merrill mods and SME arm. You have more of the mods then I do.
Actually, I've been thinking of PMing you to ask some
things about the SME.
Specifically about arm cabling, and how you delt with
the fact that the arm RCAs are so close to the base corner.
Also wanted to mention how amazing the AT-15 sounds
with this combo! (I'm blown away)
The other question would've been in regards to your VTA
adjustment findings with your (later model) AT cart.
Incidentally.. speaking of Merrill mods, the feet I used
are Mr Merrill's latest offering.
GEM dandy feet, he calls them.
While I do like how they perform, I'm not thrilled with
Doing something else for feet is one of two remaining
issues to be solved later on.
I just badly needed to conclude the project for now, due
to other pressing current obligations.
The other issue has to do with the aforementioned arm
I'll describe the issue when I do the full writeup.
Meanwhile, the feet are very heavy. They have a low
durometer (soft) top/mating surface.
The weight really helps I believe.
Its hard to describe... but it seems like they "ground" the table.
Not electrically of course.
Just help to give it a solid low center of gravity type feel.
Its become a very heavy solid table.
I also DID wind up using an MDF bottom cover, with
holes drilled for spring adjustment.
The hugely increased overall weight, combined with the
heavy feet makes it a very different table.
I'm convinced these things contribute largely to my amazement
with its performance.
I need to listen more to be able to verbalize it better.
For now, suffice to say... its immensely more "solid" sounding..
Big stable and solid... yet very light, lithe, and lively.
The bottom is sprayed with Cascade CAE spray dampening
in case anyone was wondering.
http://www.parts-express.com/images/ite ... -250_s.jpg
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=268-250
When you rap with a knuckle anywhere on this table, it
makes a very slight dull thud with no sustain whatsoever.
Seems like you're striking a soft material rather than hard
wood or metal.
Interesting that you removed the bottom plate of the motor and added extra damping on the TT top plate.
Theres quite a story to that. The motor cover that is.
The damping, not so much. Its merely the "asphalt based"
stuff, aka: original Dynamat, that I applied way back in
1987 when first doing the mod, and before there was dynamat.
The motor cover story goes as follows:
I took it off to see if it could be repaired.
This is the original Merrill Mod motor with the bent spindle
I posted on long ago.
Got bent trying to get the pulley off after it went on crooked,
preventing me from using the table for years till I finally
figured out how to get it off.
Several months back while preparing for this re-do project and
lining up parts and assorted fixes, I happened
to be speaking to Mr Merrill... regarding other things, such
as the feet and his record cleaning device.
In the course of talking I mentioned my old motor mishap,
and he said he might
just happen to have 1 or 2 brand
new Hurst motor rotors laying around from a case he'd bought
back in the day (when they still sold parts).
Turns out he did.... phoned me back a couple of days later
to say he had ONE remaining, and I could rehab that
motor with it.
I asked him if I could just send it to him, so he could also
re-do the mod, making it an authentic Merrill Mod motor
(mostly cuz I was affraid to do it)
He graciously accepted and I sent it back to him.
(after all these years)
He had it back to me in a few days, good as new, and
sold me the rotor at his (1980s) cost... and said it was
now dead quiet.
The motor had always had a lovely gold Merrill badge
on the bottom.
I'll photograph and post it here with an edit asap.
I removed the bottom cover about a year ago to see if repair
would be possible, and ordered a new Hurst motor since
it didn't seem it would be.
I don't now recall for certain, but I believe the badge
was glued to a cover (rather than just by itself), and the
cover went inside the motor housing, as opposed to outside
as with the new Hurst bought this january.
I didn't see a reason to put the cover back on to send it
to Merrill, and I've since misplaced it.
So it came back with no cover, and I asked him if its ok
to run without.
He said yes and it'll run cooler that way.
The badge he said, was developed to make it disipate
heat and dampen, not just for asthetics.
The other reason its now without cover, is that I've made
a "pod" for it, which I'd planned to add during this re-do
process, but I don't like how it came out.
I made it from a sheet of lead from McMaster Carr, hammered
into the shape of the motor, using a round piece of wood
the size of the motor.
It came out cobbled up badly... I'm ashamed to post a pic
of it and don't want to use it, BUT... I DID learn how to
do it, and what not to do.
I'm going to get another sheet of lead and do it again
when I have a chance, and add it later.
I also wanted to hear what the table would be like before
adding it, to compare with after.
When I get around to making another and fitting it, it will
contain oil... Mr Merrill still sells his motor pod oil, btw.
Look forward to your detailed description.
Its likely to be a while.
Please feel free to PM for specifics meanwhile!