Adjusting AR XA tonearm height (VTA)

american simplicity
jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Adjusting AR XA tonearm height (VTA)

Post by jdjohn » 12 Nov 2019 04:25

Seems to me that by twisting the tonearm pillar spindle, one can adjust the tonearm height on these classics.

If the vertical "butterfingers" tonearm damping is removed (at least by removing the foam sponge washer), there leaves a significant range of motion for raising/lowering the tonearm height by twisting the tonearm spindle.

If that's not enough, it seems that adjusting/replacing the thickness of the Delrin washer (at the base of the tonearm bearing) can also effectively adjust VTA. I would rather do this than use a shim in the headshell.

gkimeng
United States of America

Re: Adjusting AR XA tonearm height (VTA)

Post by gkimeng » 12 Nov 2019 22:38

Without some kind of locking but, the arm will not hold a height, but will shift a little every time it rotates.

VTA on the AR arm is adjusted by placing shims or spacers in the headshell.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 13 Nov 2019 01:40

I think shimming the headshell is a better idea. The arm design is too good to fool with if it's working right.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 14 Nov 2019 03:21

Ok, I see now regarding the locking thing...the threads on the pillar actually include a glob of lead (or something) to help prevent unscrewing.

BUT, I don't see any harm in using a thicker washer at the bottom of the well in order to raise the overall height of the tonearm assembly - only a few mm of added thickness.

Shims in the headshell just look awkward to me:
Shim.jpg
(9.390000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
There is no way the mounting screws (red line) can be straight.
Shimcloseup.jpg
(21.4 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 14 Nov 2019 03:39

I actually got one of these since the threads on my stock headshell were rounded-off.
ARXA hs.jpg
(42.17 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Found it on eBay - search 'AR XA headshell'.
It came with this additional hardware:
ARXA hs insert.jpg
(45.12 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Looks very handy, but the thing is...the cartridge still slides back-and-forth after mounting :lol: The brass nuts slide around in the plastic slots :shock:

BUT, I can still use my 'regular' mounting hardware to keep things from sliding. AND...I could buy a longer counter-suck screw for the front mounting of the 'insert', and use a washer between the insert and headshell mounting hole to adjust VTA :-k I hope that makes sense.