turntable mat

american simplicity
andrew678122
United States of America

turntable mat

Post by andrew678122 » 16 Aug 2019 23:45

I recently got my AR XA all together and running, and the last thing I bought for it was a mat for the platter — I chose a black deer hide one and I've been very pleased with it, but sometimes when I lift a record off the platter the mat comes with it. I am not picking the mat up, it just seems to not want to release the LP.

I know I could glue it down, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

edit: and it is not sticky...

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Re: turntable mat

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 17 Aug 2019 00:34

Static electricity. Try using one of those cloths that you throw into the drier to remove most of it. Rub it against your mat. Also, a carbon fibre brush on the record used from the outside in and ending brushing across the spindle should equate the static charge in the floating ground of your system. I'm assuming you have your turntable grounded to your power amp.

andrew678122
United States of America

Post by andrew678122 » 17 Aug 2019 00:56

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
17 Aug 2019 00:34
Static electricity. Try using one of those cloths that you throw into the drier to remove most of it. Rub it against your mat. Also, a carbon fibre brush on the record used from the outside in and ending brushing across the spindle should equate the static charge in the floating ground of your system. I'm assuming you have your turntable grounded to your power amp.
Ahh that did not occur to me, I'll give it a try. And yes the turntable is grounded to the preamp...

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 17 Aug 2019 02:00

andrew678122 wrote:
17 Aug 2019 00:56
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
17 Aug 2019 00:34
Ahh that did not occur to me, I'll give it a try. And yes the turntable is grounded to the preamp...
Excellent, and the best of luck. Whatever you do, I recommend not gluing the mat to the platter. If my suggestion does not bear fruit, keep on researching alternatives until you hit the jackpot 8)

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 17 Aug 2019 15:15

I own a couple of carbon fiber brushes as well as my ancient Discwasher brush. Believe it or not, I've had better luck dusting my records with LESS static electricity using a Swiffer duster that you buy from the grocery store. They come with a little plastic wand that you attach the duster to.

I've been using this for 4 or 5 years now. I have not noticed any detrimental effects. I periodically clean my records as well. By the way, I also use a deer hide mat.