long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Cartridges, styli, and confusion

Post by derspankster » 10 Jul 2019 12:41

andrew678122 wrote:
10 Jul 2019 02:13
Another question for the gurus:
I have an LKG preamp (used, $14.95 on eBay) that hums like it doesn't know the words. Now my hearing is not great but this hum I can hear, therefore I have to do something about it. I don't need (or could even tell if I was listening to) an audiophile quality preamp, but I need something better then the LKG and inexpensive. Any recommendations?
You can buy a new ART DJPREII Phono Preamplifier for about $65. You can find them used on ebay for less. I never owned one but they seem to be highly thought of. You can spend what-ever you might like on a phono preamp, some costing thousands of dollars. The TCC TC-750LC is another budget preamp that is less expensive than the ART.

I think either of those would fit your needs and budget desires. On another note, you need to confirm that the hum you talk about is actually the preamp. Could be a ground issue.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 10 Jul 2019 14:32

antiskate, not antikate. Minor issue. Let it go for now.

ricksbsa
United States of America

Post by ricksbsa » 10 Jul 2019 15:04

Hi Andrew,
How were you able to un-glue the joints?

andrew678122
United States of America

Post by andrew678122 » 10 Jul 2019 15:42

ricksbsa wrote:
10 Jul 2019 15:04
Hi Andrew,
How were you able to un-glue the joints?
Hey Rick, I'm not sure what you mean? The glued joints on the plinth? If that's what you mean FedEx did it for me. But I've talked to my son about it (he knows about stuff like this), he says the plinth is glued together with hide glue and a sharp tap with a mallet will often break the glue joint with no damage to the wood — unless it has been reglued with modern glue!
But you do it at your own risk, I am not telling you to hit your plinth with a hammer. I would try a heat gun first, some people say a very hot slightly damp towel works...
Last edited by andrew678122 on 10 Jul 2019 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

andrew678122
United States of America

Post by andrew678122 » 10 Jul 2019 15:44

lenjack wrote:
10 Jul 2019 14:32
antiskate, not antikate. Minor issue. Let it go for now.
At this point anything I can ignore is my kind of problem.

andrew678122
United States of America

Post by andrew678122 » 10 Jul 2019 16:55

derspankster wrote:
10 Jul 2019 12:41
andrew678122 wrote:
10 Jul 2019 02:13
Another question for the gurus:
I have an LKG preamp (used, $14.95 on eBay) that hums like it doesn't know the words. Now my hearing is not great but this hum I can hear, therefore I have to do something about it. I don't need (or could even tell if I was listening to) an audiophile quality preamp, but I need something better then the LKG and inexpensive. Any recommendations?
You can buy a new ART DJPREII Phono Preamplifier for about $65. You can find them used on ebay for less. I never owned one but they seem to be highly thought of. You can spend what-ever you might like on a phono preamp, some costing thousands of dollars. The TCC TC-750LC is another budget preamp that is less expensive than the ART.

I think either of those would fit your needs and budget desires. On another note, you need to confirm that the hum you talk about is actually the preamp. Could be a ground issue.
I looked at the cables I'm using and they are the primary cause of the hum. On one of the cables the RCA plug is loose to the point that the shield is not even making contact! A little squeeze with pliers and it's much better — another cable if I pick it up anywhere along its length I get a bad hum (with the amp turned all the way up), it's almost as though the wire is unshielded... or the ground wire broken somewhere...

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 10 Jul 2019 17:24

Cables are cheap, buy another pair. No need to spend mega bucks. (as I duck for saying so)

And, don't sweat the anti-skate. There are turntables costing a small fortune that don't have it.

ricksbsa
United States of America

Post by ricksbsa » 10 Jul 2019 17:50

Hi Andrew,
Fedex did the same to my plinth, but with more damage.
Best regards,
Rick

Uskoke
Greece

Post by Uskoke » 10 Jul 2019 18:26

In my current setup, I have the AT 95 which is worth every penny. A stylus upgrade costs 42 euros (elliptical). Before that I had the OM5 (OEM, came with my 'table) which I upgraded with the OM10 stylus, roughly in the same ballpark as the AT95 but my stereo dealer didn't have the stylus(the OM10-as said I screwed it up so it would be my second OM10 stylus) and in the end it was cheaper to get the whole new cartridge(the AT95-which I managed to screw up the stylus again so I'm now again on my second AT95 stylus.It's good enough I didn;t get the slightly used MC cartridge my dealer was proposing me to get, the Denon Dl-110 I think). Also the red was an option but for 120 euros it was too expensive for me. My setup is entry level anyway.Don't worry about screwing up the stylus, I have done it a couple times... You can even get the OM5 and trash the crap stylus and get the OM10, as a replacement.

andrew678122
United States of America

Post by andrew678122 » 11 Jul 2019 01:00

derspankster wrote:
10 Jul 2019 17:24
Cables are cheap, buy another pair. No need to spend mega bucks. (as I duck for saying so)

And, don't sweat the anti-skate. There are turntables costing a small fortune that don't have it.
I got a new cable and my system is now the quietest, I can't even hear it running at all (until I put the needle to the disc). I spent an enjoyable 3 hours or so listening listening to my small collection, it was a fun time. But I need to get something to clean lps.

andrew678122
United States of America

Post by andrew678122 » 11 Jul 2019 01:03

ricksbsa wrote:
10 Jul 2019 17:50
Hi Andrew,
Fedex did the same to my plinth, but with more damage.
Best regards,
Rick
Did they damage the wood? Mine was still in good condition, it had just come apart at 2 glue joints.

andrew678122
United States of America

Post by andrew678122 » 11 Jul 2019 01:10

Uskoke wrote:
10 Jul 2019 18:26
In my current setup, I have the AT 95 which is worth every penny. A stylus upgrade costs 42 euros (elliptical). Before that I had the OM5 (OEM, came with my 'table) which I upgraded with the OM10 stylus, roughly in the same ballpark as the AT95 but my stereo dealer didn't have the stylus(the OM10-as said I screwed it up so it would be my second OM10 stylus) and in the end it was cheaper to get the whole new cartridge(the AT95-which I managed to screw up the stylus again so I'm now again on my second AT95 stylus.It's good enough I didn;t get the slightly used MC cartridge my dealer was proposing me to get, the Denon Dl-110 I think). Also the red was an option but for 120 euros it was too expensive for me. My setup is entry level anyway.Don't worry about screwing up the stylus, I have done it a couple times... You can even get the OM5 and trash the crap stylus and get the OM10, as a replacement.
I listened to my newly overhauled turntable for almost 3 hours today, with the used AT95E in the old headshell. It was almost perfect except for the used copy of Peter Gabriel's Passion, the first disc was great but the second had something stuck to it, looked like glue and tiny scraps of brown paper. I cleaned it as best as I could but it still needs work/replacing.

ricksbsa
United States of America

Post by ricksbsa » 11 Jul 2019 06:35

Split the wood 1/4" away from the glue joint. it was a compound miter.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 11 Jul 2019 13:01

But I need to get something to clean lps
Andrew, get destilled water. Then wash LP's with odourless mild dishwashing liquid solution. I use foam sponge(not the kitchen one with scrubbing part - actually I have special foam). I lay the record on the soft cloth on the table and run soapy foam around along the grooves. Then run under the tap a bit. Finally spray destilled water and wipe dry with microfiber cloth. Let dry for awhile before play.

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 11 Jul 2019 14:39

I am happy to hear that you're listening to your turntable. And yes, clean your records as vanakaru says. It's a good thing to dust them off before you play them as well. I have used a variety of record brushes over time but believe it or not, some time ago I started using a Swiffer that is sold a a household cleaning product and found that it does an excellent job. We even had them in the house already. Discovered that AR turntable guru Marc Morin also uses them when I visited him recently. (Guess I should duck again for that bit heresy - the Swiffer part)