Origin Live DC Motor Conversion

american simplicity
ROY_H

Origin Live DC Motor Conversion

Post by ROY_H » 11 Aug 2018 18:14

Hi All. Must admit to being a lurker on here for a while as I felt I didn’t have much practical knowledge to add.
Bought my AR The Turntable new (it was either ’84 or ’85) following a recommendation from my HI-Fi dealer. At the time it was very similarly priced to a Linn LP12 but my dealer reckoned it was much better value !
Originally had it fitted with a Helius Scorpion arm with a variety of cartridges but ended up a good few years ago with the current Ortofon MC15II Super. I built a Linsley-Hood MC pre-amp and fitted it inside the plinth so direct connection to the cartridge. Recently changed the arm to a Project arm.
Really felt I needed to upgrade and was becoming concerned what would happen if the motor failed regarding replacing it so after some research I pushed the boat way out to sea and purchased an Origin Live DC motor kit (the mid-range one). I thought it might be useful to share my fitting experience in case anyone else wanted to go down this route. No photos, sorry, but hopefully the explanations will be sufficient. The motor for the AR doesn’t come with a separate baseplate but has three small threaded mounting holes in the motor body. Only one is used to attach the motor to the baseplate.
1. Usual safety. Unplug, remove outer platter, secure arm. Use transit screw if you still have it !
2. Turn table over and remove base. I now removed the mains board and motor complete, just snipped the switch and light wires.
3. Remove the motor. NOTE the screws are VERY tight and delicate. Make sure you have an exact fit screwdriver bit and avoid chewing the heads.
4. You need to drill a 2.5mm hole for the securing screw. I made template by cutting a hole in apiece of paper the size of the new motor pulley, passed this over the pulley and marked the position of one of the mounting holes. Use the template over the motor hole (it’s big enough as it stands to allow the pulley through) and position the hole for the mounting screw. I placed it to one side of the hole.
5. After you’ve drilled the hole, remember to clean the hole underneath as you do not want jagged edges left.
6. The motor can now be bolted through the baseplate. You cannot bolt it tight up to the base plate. You need to use a small spacer. For this I used a slightly larger nut that slid over the bolt. Screw up reasonably tight so the motor doesn’t move and centralising it in the hole.
7. Tidy up the cable (a clamp is included in the kit), place the outer platter on upside down. I found the original belt fitted ok and wasn’t too loose or tight. Connect up, check the belt runs centrally then follow the rest of the installation instructions provided.
I haven’t done a sound check yet as I’m letting the motor ‘burn in’ but hopefully will let you know the results soon.

ddarch

Re: Origin Live DC Motor Conversion

Post by ddarch » 16 Aug 2018 01:25

Thanks for this great post!

snfrosten
long player
long player

Post by snfrosten » 16 Aug 2018 15:23

Pictures would be nice, also seems like this conversion could be pretty costly.

ROY_H

Post by ROY_H » 16 Aug 2018 16:13

I can post some pictures of the installed motor and control box and transformer. I'll have a go this week-end.

it IS a costly upgrade but I was beginning to be concerned over availability of replacement original synchronous motors. Cost of those can be high so I though I'd go all-out and do a major upgrade.
Just started having a little listen (still bedding parts in) and bass in particular sounds deeper, controlled, articulate. need to spin a few more discs before I get a complete feel for the changes.

snfrosten
long player
long player

Post by snfrosten » 16 Aug 2018 21:52

Which motor was in your table originally, here they were supplied with the Hurst 3001 motor which is still available for around $75.

ROY_H

Post by ROY_H » 17 Aug 2018 17:13

snfrosten wrote:Which motor was in your table originally, here they were supplied with the Hurst 3001 motor which is still available for around $75.
It was a Hurst !.........But don't spoil my fun :lol:

snfrosten
long player
long player

Post by snfrosten » 17 Aug 2018 18:40

I guess with the new motor that has a variable speed adjustment you can try different belts to see if there is any effect in sound, round belt may be my first experiment.