the home of the turntable

New ARxA owner with some questions

american simplicity

New ARxA owner with some questions

Postby Mr Mike » 14 Dec 2017 14:01

I just picked up a complete, all original xA with a Shure m91e cartridge. It is single motor version. I planned to do a routine cleaning and maintenance of the table first, and possibly some simple modifications such as the upgraded suspension, motor pulley, new stylus.

I fired it up last night for the first time to see where everything lies with it. The motor runs. Although with the plug in the wall and the power switch off, I feel some sort of pulse through the motor pulley. With switch on, motor runs. Any ideas what this may be a sign of? I did power the motor on without the belt twice for a few seconds. I now realize this was probably bad?

I also hooked it up to an amp for fun. Aerosmith sounded like a distorted Mickey Mouse. So I'm assuming the speed may be off due to a bad belt, and possibly the distortion from a bad connection at headshell to tonearm?

Thanks for any Help or insight. This would be my first AR table.
[pioneer sa9500ii] [sansui 9090db] [ar xa] [advent ola]
Mr Mike

United States of America

Re: New ARxA owner with some questions

Postby derspankster » 14 Dec 2017 15:32

The motor vibration is normal. Both my XA have that. There are several step by step AR XA refurb pages on the net. Most basic things can be done by the average person. Sounds like you need a new belt. I recommend Vinyl Nirvana http://vinylnirvana.com/ Dave's belts are correct in size and work well. There are many other places to purchase belts but some of them are not correct. I've bought a couple of belts from Dave and I know they're fine. (I am not affiliated with the site in any way) Clean the inner platter and the pulley with alcohol and talc the belt before installing.

The bearing wells both need cleaning and re lubed. Wooden handled q-tips work well for this and sewing machine oil is good for lubrication. There are many, many small things you can do to improve this timeless design. The tonearm can be modified rather easily as well unless it needs a rewire. There are certainly more expert individuals out there that can Help as well. Steve Frosten is a member of this site and has a lot of experience with this table. Another expert is a gentleman named Marc Morin.

I suggest browsing to net for how-tos and to continue to ask questions.
AR XA/Jelco 370 Grado Black2 : Cambridge 551P : HK 3480 : Onkyo 7030 : AR3a : Grado SR80e
derspankster
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Mr Mike » 14 Dec 2017 16:01

thanks for they reply. That seems so odd about the motor vibration when power is switched to the off position. id probably unplug the table each time when not in use I guess.

Ive watched the tutorials on cleaning the oil wells and re lubricating from vinyl nirvana. I plan to get the pulley upgrade and suspension upgrade through him, belt as well.

I really like the idea of an updated tonearm tube to accept a standard style headshell. I'll need to read up on that process. I'd like to stay away from re-wiring. Im not a fan of soldering!
Mr Mike

United States of America

Postby derspankster » 14 Dec 2017 16:14

If you want to replace the wand so you can use standard SME head shells you most likely will need a rewire.
AR XA/Jelco 370 Grado Black2 : Cambridge 551P : HK 3480 : Onkyo 7030 : AR3a : Grado SR80e
derspankster
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby 1200y3 » 14 Dec 2017 16:26

Marc Morin does has the upgrades your looking for, and his email address can be found on web the somewhere (may be Audio Karma), or you can ask Vinyl Nirvana for it.

Unfortunately a drop in replacement tone arm is difficult to find, since most great tone arms have a much larger base (makes sense because that is where most tonearm rumble comes from), requiring the cutting or drilling into the T-bar.
1200y3
long player
long player

Postby snfrosten » 14 Dec 2017 16:37

If you do the suspension upgrade you will need to add additional weight to the T-bar to balance the suspension.
The arm wand replacement will need a re-wire because the wire in the donor wand will be too short.
The co-poly pulley and a new belt are well worth the money.
snfrosten

Postby Mr Mike » 14 Dec 2017 18:20

snfrosten wrote:If you do the suspension upgrade you will need to add additional weight to the T-bar to balance the suspension.

can you elaborate? why would the suspension not balance with the upgrade?
Mr Mike

United States of America

Postby derspankster » 14 Dec 2017 19:44

Upgraded spring are heavier (stiffer) than the stock springs. At least all I've seen.
derspankster
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby snfrosten » 14 Dec 2017 20:20

Yep, they are designed for a heavier platter and arm, Linn table, so tuning the suspension on the AR is necessary. If your not adding a new arm, heavier than the AR arm, or thicker mat or heavy platter weight then you don't need to replace the springs of studs.
snfrosten

Postby pivot » 14 Dec 2017 21:13

Make sure you get the right size belt. Many suppliers seem to sell a belt too small or thin which impacts speed and suspension. Vinyl Nirvana has correct belts and tune up spring options. http://vinylnirvana.com/ar-replacement-upgrade-parts/
Kevin R-M

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1
pivot
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Mr Mike » 14 Dec 2017 21:26

thanks all. I hope my distortion problem isn't tonearm wiring issues. if so, I may abandon ship! im really not wanting to get into rewiring the tonearm.
Mr Mike

United States of America

Postby snfrosten » 14 Dec 2017 22:49

May just need a new stylus, worn or broken diamond can cause distortion.
snfrosten

Postby 1200y3 » 15 Dec 2017 07:40

Re:"abandon ship" It is easy to overlook this turntable due to it's simplicity, but with a decent high end arm it is quite possibly the best turntable idea ever, yet can be repaired by anyone with only a small amount of mechanical skills.
1200y3
long player
long player

Postby derspankster » 15 Dec 2017 13:41

Actually, the stock arm is not all that bad with a little TLC. The weak point is the plastic head shell. You almost need to treat it like it is fixed. Despite care, it is very easy to wipe out the nibs. Of course, if the table needs rewired then a new wand with a SME type head shell connector is the way to go.
derspankster
long player
long player

United States of America

Return to Acoustic Research