1st gen AR XA with two motors options.

american simplicity
cmarti

1st gen AR XA with two motors options.

Post by cmarti » 12 Dec 2017 05:18

Hi all,

I read several threads where some replacing the motor on their AR XA turntable but I could not find a definitive answer for those of us who own the early XA model with two motors.

My turntable works and spins at the correct speed, my problem is that I can hear rumble during quiet passages. I hear the motor/motors turning or operating through the speakers.

I would be willing to run the table with just one motor, it's a beautiful piece which I even adapted a hinged dust cover.

Some pictures of the actual turntable: https://imgur.com/a/IOrqP

What does the vinyl engine recommend me to use to make the turntable as quiet as possible?

Best regards.

snfrosten
long player
long player

Re: 1st gen AR XA with two motors options.

Post by snfrosten » 13 Dec 2017 17:01

Shouldn't hear the motors through the speakers, thinking something else is wrong. If the motors are introducing noise into the playback then there is something wrong with the setup of the springs, suspension or arm. I would also check the pulley that runs the platter, if it spins true or wobbles and of course the belt has to be the right size or it too can add problems in the playback.

cmarti

Post by cmarti » 14 Dec 2017 15:44

snfrosten wrote:Shouldn't hear the motors through the speakers
Basically what I hear is rumble, I took out both motors and put them under Amsoil synthetic and leaving them run there for a few days, I will remove them tomorrow so check if this type of extreme lubrication is making any difference. By the way, the motors have been running there since Tuesday, they are sunk covered in oil. :D

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/gallery/0CMdN

pivot
long player
long player

Post by pivot » 20 Dec 2017 04:25

Are you sure you are hearing motor noise and not the bearing? When was the last time you re-lubed the main bearing?

How old are the belts?

You can run the table with only the main motor. You will have to hand start the table in the right direction but it should run in the right direction after that. See if it rumbles then.

cmarti

Post by cmarti » 20 Dec 2017 06:37

pivot wrote:Are you sure you are hearing motor noise and not the bearing? When was the last time you re-lubed the main bearing?

How old are the belts?

You can run the table with only the main motor. You will have to hand start the table in the right direction but it should run in the right direction after that. See if it rumbles then.
Thanks, belts are new and they have talc. The main motor is the one with the open coil. :cry:

pivot
long player
long player

Post by pivot » 20 Dec 2017 20:57

If it has an open coil you either have to find a used exact replacement or replace with a single motor - Hurst (3001-001) OR a Merrill OR Vinyl Nirvana OR Sound of the Wood and a new pulley. I'd go with the new motor and pulley if you ask me.

My modded XA started life as a two motor - now single.

cmarti

Post by cmarti » 20 Dec 2017 21:30

pivot wrote: My modded XA started life as a two motor - now single.
Can you post pictures of how you screwed the new single motor to the base? Please :)

pivot
long player
long player

Post by pivot » 22 Dec 2017 00:08

Okay - not the best picture but short of flipping things over it is what I got with my phone.

I thing you can see the two bolt heads next to the pulley. The pulley is one of Vinyl Nirvana's so that's why it is black not aluminum like the original. Uses the same pulley hole as the old main motor but you have to drill two new bolt holes. I think you can se the holes for the original starter motor.

Here is a link to a fellow who made an adapter instead of drilling the top plate.

http://johnsweather.com/Turntable.html

This get you on the page?

cmarti

Post by cmarti » 22 Dec 2017 00:24

pivot wrote:
Okay - not the best picture but short of flipping things over it is what I got with my phone.

I thing you can see the two bolt heads next to the pulley. The pulley is one of Vinyl Nirvana's so that's why it is black not aluminum like the original. Uses the same pulley hole as the old main motor but you have to drill two new bolt holes. I think you can see the holes for the original starter motor.

Here is a link to a fellow who made an adapter instead of drilling the top plate.

http://johnsweather.com/Turntable.html

This get you on the page?
Yes, thanks for the link.

Guess what? I kind soul is sending me a replacement motor to the original one which will be a direct drop in. Thanks so much for your Help because this might come in handy for someone else in the future.

snfrosten
long player
long player

Post by snfrosten » 22 Dec 2017 16:03

Quickest and easiest way is to drill and tap two new holes to mount the motor, hopefully the motor I sent will work for a while before you need to switch to a new motor.

Steve

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 22 May 2018 16:08

I would have to get a box off a dusty shelf to be sure, but I think the single-motor conversion kit for two-motor ARs included instructions for drilling new mounting holes, so that is an approved procedure.

Mine are from an AR warranty center that closed, and probably date from 1970 or so. Since AR got motors from different vendors, there may have been different ones.

gkimeng

Post by gkimeng » 23 May 2018 21:31

The converter I have in my parts box consists of a plate and some screws. The plate screws into the existing motor mount holes and provides new mount holes for the replacement motor.