AR EB-101 (U.K.): not quite a lost cause after all

american simplicity
prsjnb

AR EB-101 (U.K.): not quite a lost cause after all

Post by prsjnb » 25 Sep 2013 14:04

Wishing to encourage my teenage daughters burgeoning interest in vinyl, I thought I'd better find her a turntable of her own. A quick search on ebay turned up an EB-101, which, despite the many unkind words I have read about it, looked a potential candidate and the seller happened to live close enough for me collect. Took the plunge and made an offer that was accepted and brought the beast home, having first made sure that the arm and bearings were in good order and that the main platter bearing and spindle were undamaged.

Once home, it became apparent that the original motor and control board were getting a bit 'flaky' and that the fit between the sub- and main platter were less than perfect, causing me to wonder if they were not a matched pair, but from different decks. It was also evident that at some time in the past an attempt had been made to upgrade (?) the suspension with Linn style bottom grommets.

Undeterred, I decided to go ahead and bring it back into service. Out came the original 12-pole Airpax motor and control board and in came a new Premotec 24-pole motor which I fitted with an after-market thrust bearing. All the old wiring was removed and replaced with both the mains and output cables entering through holes drilled through the plinth. The original 'tag strip' was discarded and the lead out wires form the tonearm soldered directly to the new interconnects. The plinth itself was strengthened internally before lining with bitumastic, sound-damping sheets. The same material was used to damp resonance in the pressed steel T-bar and the under side of the sub-platter. The spring assembles were re-installed without the Linn-style grommets but with a PTFE washer between the top grommet and the metal washer and the original nuts exchanged for the 'winged' variety. Custom made sorbothane washers (3 mm thickness)were placed between the T-bar of the sub-chassis and the arm pillar and main bearing housing. The original rubber feet were discarded and replaced by 3 adjustable spikes having first fitted an additional support pillar to the rear of the plinth. The original base of the plinth was also discarded and to small covers made to shield the user from the power supply and protect the delicate tonearm wires. The fit and stability of the main/sub-platter assembly was improved using 4 discs of sorbothane of 1 mm thickness (1 placed at the base of the spindle and the other 3 arranged at 120 degree intervals around the periphery of the sub-platter. The original felt mat was replaced one of higher quality and anti-static properties (which was preferred to one manufactured from silicone that was tried) and an 'old contemptible' in the guise of an AT-95E installed in the arm's head-shell. Photographs showing some of the stages in the restoration/modification process can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/garrulusap ... 772736235/

Once the stylus had been aligned using an arc template generated using Conrad Hoffman's excellent little application, secure tracking with minimal IGD was obtained around 1.9 g down-force with a bias setting of 0.7 g(?).

Sonically, the performance of the finished product was surprisingly satisfying with a wide variety musical genres. When compared with my own Heybrook TT2/Jelco SA-250st/Denon DL-110 set-up, the shortcomings noticed were insufficient in number and magnitude to spoil one's enjoyment of the music: which, after all, is what really counts!

I learnt a lot and had great enjoyment from restoring this 'b'stard offspring' of the AR family and my daughter now has a good quality turntable of her own. My total outlay, including the price paid for the original unit, was around £150.00 or around $240.00 at current exchange rates. My only, partial, regret, is that I do not possess the skills necessary to replace the original plinth with something more solid and attractive.

A big 'thank you' to the Vinyl Engine and its many contributors for giving me the confidence to attempt this restoration and for the ideas for potential upgrades.

Jon :D
Refurbished AR-EB-101_resized.jpg
(323.21 KiB) Downloaded 806 times

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: AR EB-101 (U.K.): not quite a lost cause after all

Post by derspankster » 25 Sep 2013 15:01

Very nice work, congratulations on your efforts.

andyshirt-1
Great Britain

Post by andyshirt-1 » 12 Dec 2019 16:13

Jon brill job I had bought my son a AR EB 101 but the motor is having a few problems so picked up on your article which has focused me on replacing it. I would appreciate it if you could advise me what the thrust bearing was used for in your
repair. Were there any problems with attaching the AR pulley to the spindle of the new motor.

Regards
Andy

MikeyB456
Great Britain

Post by MikeyB456 » 29 Jan 2020 11:37

Hi prsjnb, nice work!
I also have a UK-model EB101 which I've pimped up a bit with some sound deadening and chassis tweaks, and have been enjoying the sound of for a while They really do respond to treatment!

Unfortunately my TTs motor is showing signs of age/wear, as it's started producing 100Hz mechanical hum.

I tried replacing the phase-shift C in case it was responsible, but it's made no difference. I've noticed that there's some horizontal play in the shaft, so I suspect the motor bearings are worn. So I'm now thinking I need to replace the motor, and saw that you fitted a Premotec to yours. So I'm hoping you can help me with a couple of questions:

How did you get the pulley off the old motor? mine seems to be stuck on pretty tight.
Did you have trouble fitting the pulley to the new motor?
And can you share the details of your "drive electronics" you fitted for the new motor too?

All help gratefully received!