How to measure stylus tracking force on sprung AR TT ?

american simplicity
LS13
United States of America

How to measure stylus tracking force on sprung AR TT ?

Post by LS13 » 21 Jan 2020 07:23

Heya guys,

Just picked up an AR TT, it has the Rega upgraded arm installed. I just want to make sure that I got the tracking force adjusted correctly as I have no history of the TT. My question is, with the floating design and spring loaded base of the AR, how do we accurately measure the tracking force of the stylus? Especially since, we would have to weight the stylus on the scale without being able to compensate for the thickness of the scale itself. I figure that with the floating design and the spring loaded base, the thicker the scale body, the stylus would experience more force and weight.

Im sorry if i am not making any sense, but if you guys can kindly teach me on how to measure the tracking force on an AR spring loaded TT , I would really be grateful and appreciative :) Thank you in advance !

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: How to measure stylus tracking force on sprung AR TT ?

Post by derspankster » 21 Jan 2020 14:31

I measure tracking force exactly the same as I would any other table. I use both my old trusty Shure balance beam or an inexpensive digital scale. Perhaps I'm missing something in your question though.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 21 Jan 2020 17:46

Agreed. It should be the same as any other table.

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia

Post by bra10n » 21 Jan 2020 19:10

LS13 wrote:
21 Jan 2020 07:23
Heya guys,

Just picked up an AR TT, it has the Rega upgraded arm installed. I just want to make sure that I got the tracking force adjusted correctly as I have no history of the TT. My question is, with the floating design and spring loaded base of the AR, how do we accurately measure the tracking force of the stylus? Especially since, we would have to weight the stylus on the scale without being able to compensate for the thickness of the scale itself. I figure that with the floating design and the spring loaded base, the thicker the scale body, the stylus would experience more force and weight.

Im sorry if i am not making any sense, but if you guys can kindly teach me on how to measure the tracking force on an AR spring loaded TT , I would really be grateful and appreciative :) Thank you in advance !
I'm not a teacher but you are correct realising the height of the scale is an issue. Ideally, you want the stylus tip on scale to be at the exact playing height (setting VTF with the stylus at above record playing height will result in more) tracking force than was intended at usual record playing height. All I do is remove platter mat(s) and I usually have the scale directly on the platter. This is spot on for 1 of my tables, and on my AR XA, the scale sits a touch high. No problem, it gets me ballpark with my generally light VTA settings with 0.2 or 0.3g additional weight on the tip being of no concern. HTH.

As a side note, there is no absolute requirement that VTF has to be set on the platter. If you are confident of replicating playing record height (record height from deck) minus the thickness of your scale, then you might make up a block for such a purpose. This will also compensate for unloading the AR's suspension of mat (and record weight!) and is probably a more accurate and workable approach for your AR.

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 21 Jan 2020 19:26

It's been my experience that plus or minus .02 grams of VTF makes little or no difference what so ever. Perhaps others feel differently but I cannot detect a difference. I will say that I believe the upper limit of the manufacturers recommended tracking force is a good starting point.

Plus, I choose not to obsess over very minor details.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 21 Jan 2020 19:53

+ or - 0.02 grams is likely beyond the accuracy of most gauges, and I don't believe it to be important, or hearable, or even reliably repeatable with most gauges.

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 21 Jan 2020 19:59

lenjack wrote:
21 Jan 2020 19:53
+ or - 0.02 grams is likely beyond the accuracy of most gauges, and I don't believe it to be important, or hearable, or even reliably repeatable with most gauges.
+1

ROY_H
England

Post by ROY_H » 22 Jan 2020 20:28

I bought one of the miniature electronic scales off that auction site. They are often listed as jewellery scales.
I've tested mine against laboratory weights of the correct range and they are more than close enough.
The actual weighing platform is slightly thicker than an LP so sits directly on the turntable !