AR tonearm salvage

american simplicity
Michael626

AR tonearm salvage

Post by Michael626 » 02 Dec 2019 17:09

Hi, I bid and got some misc parts for my AR XA. One part is a tonearm with the cartridge holder broken off into the arm. From the picture, I figured I could just undo the locking collar and take it out. Wrong, some PO glued the cartridge to the fitting at the tone arm. I piddled it with it for too many hours this morning seeing if I could release it but it is not going to happen. Any suggestions on what I can do? Otherwise, the arm is in good shape, wires look fine, the mount is clean and all the parts are there for where it pivots up and down, not sure what that is called. Would soaking it in acetone release the glue, looks like superglue, or would that just melt all the plastic? Thanks
Michael
Attachments
AR tonearm.jpg
(15.25 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: AR tonearm salvage

Post by vinyl master » 02 Dec 2019 18:23

You know, I've never encountered this problem (yet), although they say acetone is good for removing glue from metal... :-k

However, it did remind me of a similar situation another poster had with his Dual...

viewtopic.php?t=83529

Some other thoughts here might help...

viewtopic.php?t=104854

Sometimes, you have to try things...You could start with the acetone, as Alec suggested to the other poster...If that doesn't work somehow and only if there are no plastic parts (all metal collar and tonearm), you could try the heat gun method, but very lightly...In either case, tread carefully...Hopefully, you can get yourself "unstuck" here... 8-[

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 02 Dec 2019 20:05

I'm wondering if there's a solvent that will dissolve plastic, but not metal. It would be a shame to abandon an otherwise good arm because of this.

Michael626

Post by Michael626 » 02 Dec 2019 23:12

The AR tonearm does have a piece of plastic that is under the locking collar that the cartridge slides into and then the locking collar screws over both of them. The remains of the cartridge is what is glued to that piece of plastic.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 05 Dec 2019 15:36

That is very unfortunate. Acetone is not plastic safe, but isopropyl and denatured alcohol are safe. You might try using one of those, and also heat, but not at the same time! [-X Maybe use a pick to chip away at the glue little-by-little along the way. I'm guessing multiple, repeated attempts will be necessary, but slow and steady might get it loose eventually.