Isokinetik Isoweight - for RP8

on level ground
Berty Bass
Great Britain

Isokinetik Isoweight - for RP8

Post by Berty Bass » 20 Jun 2017 14:18

Has anyone swapped put their standard arm counterweight on an RP8 for the low-slung, Isokinetick (or any other similar) version? Just wondering if there are demonstrable improvements.

Another thing: it looks as though the Isoweight has some sort of collar to hold it fairly securely on the arm (prior to the grub screw being tightened). How tight does this hold it? It occurs to me that if it's too tight it might make it difficult to ensure the weight hangs precisely symmetrically. If so this would - would it not - present potentially as many (albeit different!) tracking issues as the so-called gyroscopic behaviour of the original weight that the Isoweight is supposed to remedy?

BB

kb007
broken record

Re: Isokinetik Isoweight - for RP8

Post by kb007 » 20 Jun 2017 15:14

I put a Lim low-slung counterweight on my RB-900 arm, mainly for top clearance more than anything. It's a nice piece, but honestly, I'm not 100% convinced that the counterweight is that much of a sound impacting part of the arm (IMHO).

So you finally got that RP8 then??

Berty Bass
Great Britain

Post by Berty Bass » 20 Jun 2017 15:52

kb007 wrote:I put a Lim low-slung counterweight on my RB-900 arm, mainly for top clearance more than anything. It's a nice piece, but honestly, I'm not 100% convinced that the counterweight is that much of a sound impacting part of the arm (IMHO).
Thanks for that. That kind of tallies with what I was coming around to thinking myself. The top clearance issue would likely be the only thing that convinced me and that is unlikely to be any time soon as I've just installed a refurbished Goldring Excel GS cartridge and that sits perfectly with the one 2mm spacer that was already under the arm. There's not much clearance there but enough.
kb007 wrote:So you finally got that RP8 then??
Yes indeed! Very happy with it. It's more of an incremental improvement over my modded P5 than a night and day one, to be honest; I think the change of cartridge has been more significant. I might install the Goldring on the P5 just to see how it compares now I've settled on the other bits of the chain.

readargos

Post by readargos » 20 Jun 2017 20:32

I forget: does the RP8 come with the tungsten or steel CW. Some say the tungsten is very good.

I would look at the Expressimo brass half moon counterweight and end stub. There is an interesting videos at the Expressimo website demonstrating the different tonality of brass v. the factory steel end stub. I used it on a P3 and wrote a review that I never posted.

I have the Technoweight on my Technoarm, but have been itching to try the Expressimo weight. Just not itching to take off the tonearm to do the install. The Expressimo added detail and naturalness to the presentation. The Technoweight has a reputation for improving bass response, but I have never A-B'd it with the standard CW.

RichieCactus

Post by RichieCactus » 18 Aug 2017 14:58

Berty Bass wrote:Has anyone swapped put their standard arm counterweight on an RP8 for the low-slung, Isokinetick (or any other similar) version? Just wondering if there are demonstrable improvements.

Another thing: it looks as though the Isoweight has some sort of collar to hold it fairly securely on the arm (prior to the grub screw being tightened). How tight does this hold it? It occurs to me that if it's too tight it might make it difficult to ensure the weight hangs precisely symmetrically. If so this would - would it not - present potentially as many (albeit different!) tracking issues as the so-called gyroscopic behaviour of the original weight that the Isoweight is supposed to remedy?

BB
Hi BB

did you go for one of these counterweights (Isokinetik or otherwise) ?

I'm considering same for my RP8 - for hight issues not sound.

rgds
RC

JohnMichael

Post by JohnMichael » 18 Aug 2017 19:58

I have the Michell Technoweight installed on my RB250 and it has reduced surface noise and improved tracking. I never thought Grado cartridges tracked well in Rega arms but the lowered counterweight finally let me hear the Grado magic with vocals.

RichieCactus

Post by RichieCactus » 18 Aug 2017 20:46

JohnMichael wrote:I have the Michell Technoweight installed on my RB250 and it has reduced surface noise and improved tracking. I never thought Grado cartridges tracked well in Rega arms but the lowered counterweight finally let me hear the Grado magic with vocals.
Thats interesting - was it easy to get the end stub out of the RB250, which I believe you have to do to install the Michell Technoweight ?

Thanks
RC

JohnMichael

Post by JohnMichael » 19 Aug 2017 17:56

The stock end stub of the RB250 was plastic so it was easy to remove. The metal end stub alone was an upgrade. I have read where some who have the RB300 and newer versions with the metal end stub had some difficulty removing the stock end stub.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 19 Aug 2017 18:34

I've used the Isokinetik Isoweight on a my old modified P3-24.
It did the job of missing lid without changing the stub at a cheaper price.
I never heard any difference in SQ tho'
If I change from Apheta 2 on my RP8 to another cart I would not hesitate to use the Isokinetik if needed.

RichieCactus

Post by RichieCactus » 19 Aug 2017 18:59

andybeau wrote:I've used the Isokinetik Isoweight on a my old modified P3-24.
If I change from Apheta 2 on my RP8 to another cart I would not hesitate to use the Isokinetik if needed.
Cheers Andy

Do you think the Isokinetik Isoweight will fit directly onto the RB808 arm without having to change the stub ?

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 19 Aug 2017 19:06

RichieCactus wrote:
andybeau wrote:I've used the Isokinetik Isoweight on a my old modified P3-24.
Cheers Andy

Do you think the Isokinetik Isoweight will fit directly onto the RB808 arm without having to change the stub ?
I would think so. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know(too much wine now to trust hands ;) )

RichieCactus

Post by RichieCactus » 20 Aug 2017 09:51

Cheers Andy !

btw: which weight have you got ?

My cartridges are in the 6 gram - 7 gram weight range, so not sure which of the 3 they offer would be suitable - 103 gram, 130 gram, 144 gram?

rgds

RC

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 20 Aug 2017 11:55

RichieCactus wrote:Cheers Andy !

btw: which weight have you got ?

My cartridges are in the 6 gram - 7 gram weight range, so not sure which of the 3 they offer would be suitable - 103 gram, 130 gram, 144 gram?

rgds

RC
It fits no problem. I have 103gram & 130gram. Using heaviest with Quintet Blue.
I think the lightest will be ok for your carts. I think the standard weight is 100g.
Hope that helps

RichieCactus

Post by RichieCactus » 20 Aug 2017 12:35

Thanks Andy - much appreciated :D

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 20 Aug 2017 15:12

RichieCactus wrote:Thanks Andy - much appreciated :D