Cue Lift Lever on RP3 does not stay up

on level ground
Prince_Bytor1

Cue Lift Lever on RP3 does not stay up

Post by Prince_Bytor1 » 30 May 2017 05:35

Hi all!

I recently picked a used RP40 (essentially an RP3 from year 2013) and it is great. However, the RB303 tonearm has an issue with the Rega Cue lift lever. It doesn’t stay up. I would say it stays up for about 10-15 seconds and over that time is slowly lowers down. Also the arm you use to lift it up is very stiff – that is, you need to push hard to lift it. I also have a new Planar 1 and the ease with which you push to lift it up/down is night and day. Although it says up long enough to lift it off the record at the end of a side, it is kind of annoying mainly because it takes a full 10-15 seconds when lowering it on the first track which seem like forever! I know, first world problem. That is, it will lower in 10-15 second regardless of what position the lift lever is in --- up or down. My questions are these:

1) I found a video of someone taking out the cue lever. That doesn’t look too difficult and I found the part for sale online here at a reasonable price ($26 US). However, how hard is it to get a new cue lever device back in the tone arm?

2) When putting in a new cue lever unit, do I need to oil or grease it myself or can I just put it in? If a new unit needs oil/grease, a) where do I get that from, and b) how do I add it when installing?

3) Last, how difficult is it to the remove the RB303 tonearm and re-install it to be able to install the new cue lever device? I can’t find any videos showing how to do that. If you have any videos or steps, I would love to see them.
Asking all these questions as my local Rega dealer says they don’t do service so I feel kind of lost for support on this. I am willing to pay a modest amount to fix it (I am in eastern upstate NY), but don’t know where to turn so might want to try something myself --- maybe!

Links follow. Also, I find it odd that this is an issue already as it is only 4 years old max.

RP40: https://www.lpgear.com/product/REGARP40.html
How to remove cue lift lever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDRscguJPAg
Rega Arm Cueing Lever Specs: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/reg ... ever.shtml
New Cueing Lever: http://www.analogueseduction.net/rega-u ... currency=3

Thanks so much in advance!

DeepEnd
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: Cue Lift Lever on RP3 does not stay up

Post by DeepEnd » 30 May 2017 08:11

If the deck has not been used for a while the arm lifts can get a little "sticky" and you get some of the symptoms you have described.

Before buying a replacement part can I suggest you try the following first?
1 Clip the arm into the rest and fit the stylus guard.
2 Lift the arm lifter up using the normal lever.
3 Lower the normal lever and immediately push the plastic part that lifts the arm down firmly making sure you apply the pressure directly over the centre of the lifter.
4 Repeat steps 2 and 3 about 10 times.
5 unclip arm and try a trial normal operation.

With any luck it will operate normally. I have done this on 4 or 5 decks and all have "recovered".

To answer your specific questions
1. Easy (note the video shows using a jewellers screwdriver to remove/fit the locking screw on the arm lifting device but I use a pair of "circlip" pliers which applies the force to both slots not just one).
2. Normally supplied already with correct damping fluid. Taking them apart to add/change fluid can be a bit of a fiddle.
3. Easy. From underneath remove the screw/P clip that holds the arm cable to the plinth (make a mental note
of how much cable/curve between the p clip and bottom of the arm) then from above remove the three screws and lift the arm up feeding the cables and plugs through the hole trying not to apply any forces on the cable. Replacement is the reverse of the above making sure there is the appropriate amount of slack between the arm base and P clip as original.

I hope you don't have to bother and the initial process clears it for you.

I am VERY surprised your Rega Dealer does not do servicing as they used to not be prepared to authorise dealers who could not provide the appropriate demo and support services.

fudgemaster
England

Post by fudgemaster » 30 May 2017 19:52

I've got the same problem on my RP3, so will try DeepEnd's solution. Have to admit it's a bit vexing not to have the arm stay up, it's almost caught me out a couple of times.

atomlow

Post by atomlow » 30 May 2017 20:50

I had the same problem with my lift arm on my P3-24. I saw someone post detailed instructions with pictures about how to fix this issue. Sometimes it could be an oil issue but from what I've read it's usually a wear issue with the inside lift. When I took mine apart it was worn down. In the post, the guy added metal to the part that wore down. I thought it was too much trouble and ordered a new lift which was $50. I wish I would have bought it from Analog Seduction's website and saved a lot of money.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/rega-u ... evice.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDRscguJPAg
This is the only video I found showing how to remove the lift on a Rega turntable. It definitely helped me with the lift replacement. The metal cap was really tight on mine so that was the hardest part of the repair. I'd suggest finding a very small set of needle nose pliers or tweezers to remove the cap. Whatever you can find that will fit in both slots at the same time will be a much safer bet.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=60460 Here's the post I was referring too, which also helped me visualize what was needed to replace the lift device.

***Note*** I didn't realize you had posted some of the same links. ;)

plastico
Canada

Post by plastico » 31 May 2017 02:38

I had the same experience with my RB300, as atomlow . It is a simple procedure, and I bought my replacement from Analog Seduction, and it will last a long time.
Cheers, Doug

Prince_Bytor1

Post by Prince_Bytor1 » 06 Jul 2017 02:38

Thanks all! I tried DeepEnd's solution of pressing down the arm lift to revitalize it but it didn't work. It still drops. So, I will order the lift and give it a go. I'll come back if I run into issues as you all have been so helpful to me. I assume I need to order a tiny allen wrench/hex key to get the lift arm off. What size is that again?

-Joe

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 06 Jul 2017 02:54

Hi, Joe
try to find disassembly picture of REGA lifter or manual in this site (or google it)
and refer to this
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=70712

This provides you very detail info about REGA tonearm lifter.
Also you need 1.25-1.3mm allen key.
Next time, you 'd better to find search instead of asking in forum.
There are many useful information than you thought

plastico
Canada

Post by plastico » 06 Jul 2017 19:38

Here is what I used when I replaced my RB300 lever.https://www.vinylengine.com/library/reg ... ever.shtml
Cheers, Doug

sbrownnw

Post by sbrownnw » 02 Oct 2019 18:20

Thanks for posting this. My RP6 started doing this a couple days ago and the below steps seem to have fixed / reprimed the lift.

Scott
DeepEnd wrote:
30 May 2017 08:11
If the deck has not been used for a while the arm lifts can get a little "sticky" and you get some of the symptoms you have described.

Before buying a replacement part can I suggest you try the following first?
1 Clip the arm into the rest and fit the stylus guard.
2 Lift the arm lifter up using the normal lever.
3 Lower the normal lever and immediately push the plastic part that lifts the arm down firmly making sure you apply the pressure directly over the centre of the lifter.
4 Repeat steps 2 and 3 about 10 times.
5 unclip arm and try a trial normal operation.

With any luck it will operate normally. I have done this on 4 or 5 decks and all have "recovered".

DeepEnd
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by DeepEnd » 04 Oct 2019 16:41

Glad to have helped :D

sbrownnw

Post by sbrownnw » 14 Oct 2019 22:12

Bummer, the problem returned. Will search the group for what grease and other possible replacement parts (spring, piston, etc), unless people know what they are.

TIA,

Scott

plastico
Canada

Post by plastico » 16 Oct 2019 22:53

I got my replacement lift at Analogue Seduction. A simple replacement and it is the same lift with nothing to do.
Cheers, Doug