Counterweight for 2016 Planar P3

on level ground
barkingfinch

Counterweight for 2016 Planar P3

Post by barkingfinch » 19 Apr 2017 17:58

I got a 2016 Planar P3 after a total TT failure and decided to use my existing cart. Shimming it up 4 mm made a big difference sound-wise but the dust cover does not close, not even if you try using the standard tungsten counterweight. Are there any third-party counterweights available that someone knows - for certain - that are compatible with the 2016 Planar P3 and will enable closing of the dust cover with 4 mm shimming?

I have looked at methods of making the dust cover sit higher but nothing I've seen so far looks very safe/stable. Your help is appreciated.

atomlow

Re: Counterweight for 2016 Planar P3

Post by atomlow » 19 Apr 2017 19:34

First, I don't know if this will work since I've never shimmed a Rega arm but this looks about as sleek as it gets.
http://www.analogueseduction.net/michel ... eight.html

Les_Creative_Edge
Canada

Post by Les_Creative_Edge » 19 Apr 2017 20:00

barkingfinch,

Here is a good fix it for the dustcover issue.

I too have a P3 and my Denon DL-110 has me shim up the arm too and yes the counter weight interferes with the dustcover. I do wish Rega would make their dustcovers a few mm taller... Alas I digress.

OK, here is my tip. In my case I have at hand a thick (about 3mm thick) credit card sized piece of black rubber. I took a sharp craft knife and a steel ruler. I carefully cut out in my case about a 3mm thick strip from this rubber. I then cut it down into FOUR little about 5mm long pieces (picture 3mm x 3mm x 5mm rectangular pads) I then took a dab of super glue and placed these pieces at the four corners of the dustcover. The front two are flush with each corner the back two are indented from the rear of the dustcover about 3mm so they do not interfere with the dustcover swinging open.

These four black rubber tabs look near stock, clear the dustcover from the CW and will not marr the finish of the P3. Yes, there is a small air gap around the dustcover now and yes, that means a bit of dust may by convection current get a bit under the dustcover when the P3 is not in use. But really with us opening and closing the dustcover with each play it matters not.

If you want a bit of an alternative to my black rubber stock idea, go to a dollar store or stationary store and buy yourself a pencil eraser, I suggest a white one as it will blend in nicely and cut the four tabs similar to my idea from the eraser an super glue each tab with a small dab of glue at the four corners. TICKITY BOO, TA DA YOUR DONE! :)

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 19 Apr 2017 21:30

You could also buy something like this

I have a spare one, if you PM me I'll send it to you.

james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by james73_2008 » 20 Apr 2017 00:57

Get the first, and best, 3rd-party counterweight for the Rega arms:

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/to ... hnoweight/

James H

JohnMichael

Post by JohnMichael » 20 Apr 2017 07:17

james73_2008 wrote:Get the first, and best, 3rd-party counterweight for the Rega arms:

James H

James is correct! What an incredible mod. It will improve tracking and reduce surface noise along with no dust cover interference.

barkingfinch

Post by barkingfinch » 21 Apr 2017 00:21

I have emailed Michell asking if the Tecnoweight is usable with the RB330 tone arm. There is no response yet, so if anyone has certain knowledge, someone who has tried to put a Tecnoweight on an RB330 tone arm, I would love to hear from you.

readargos

Post by readargos » 21 Apr 2017 20:40

The Expressimo Audio Half Moon counterweight is very good, and the owner will be responsive to emails. I have not compared to the Michell to the Expressimo, however. I had the Expressimo on a P3-24, and haven't wanted to take the Michell off the Technoarm to compare. The Michell is more nicely machined. The Expressimo excels at naturalness.

plastico
Canada

Post by plastico » 22 Apr 2017 20:06

JohnMichael wrote:
james73_2008 wrote:Get the first, and best, 3rd-party counterweight for the Rega arms:

James H

James is correct! What an incredible mod. It will improve tracking and reduce surface noise along with no dust cover interference.
I had one as well on my RB300, and it is an excellent upgrade. And it will allow your cover to close.
Cheers, Doug

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 23 Apr 2017 10:14

A quick question re. counterweights if I may?

Isn't there a potential problem regarding the stub with using some of these?

JohnMichael

Post by JohnMichael » 24 Apr 2017 20:21

Since my tonearm was an RB250 with the plastic end stub it was very easy to remove and replace with the metal stub. I have heard of some struggle removing the metal Rega end stub. There are some lowered counterweights that will attach to the Rega end stub. I really like the Michell Technoweight but any lowered counterweight will improve tracking.

readargos

Post by readargos » 25 Apr 2017 02:41

Pikey wrote:A quick question re. counterweights if I may?

Isn't there a potential problem regarding the stub with using some of these?
Some counterweights won't fit the stock end stub. For reasons known only to Rega, they have changed the diameter of their metal end stubs over the years, although the internal threading is the same. Most aftermarket manufacturers offer a replacement end stub. The Michelle comes with an end stub and two different counterweights. It seems expensive, but it's actually among the cheapest when you factor in the build quality and completeness of the packaging (end stub, two counterweights, and the best adjustability in tracking force). For Groovetracer and Expressimo, you may end up buying a different counterweight if you change cartridges.

The other problem, as JohnMichael mentions, is removing the end stub. I used long-handled pliers and rubber bottle openers to protect the metal while provding grip. You don't want to put pressure on the bearings.

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 25 Apr 2017 09:27

Thanks for the info guys!

roncron

Post by roncron » 10 Jul 2018 13:54

barkingfinch wrote:I have emailed Michell asking if the Tecnoweight is usable with the RB330 tone arm. There is no response yet, so if anyone has certain knowledge, someone who has tried to put a Tecnoweight on an RB330 tone arm, I would love to hear from you.
I am in the same situation as you. I’ve read conflicting information about the compatibility of the technoweight with the 2016 P3 with RB330.

Did you ever get a reply from Michell?

Troc

Post by Troc » 10 Jul 2018 21:23

I run a tecnoweight on the rb330 arm of my planar 3 2016. It fit perfectly and made an audible difference.

Rega haven’t changed the screw thread system from the previous arms so it fits perfectly.