the home of the turntable

Upgraded RP1 with RP6 parts

on level ground

Upgraded RP1 with RP6 parts

Postby hanzel3124 » 29 Dec 2016 06:49

Successfully upgraded my son's RP1 with the following parts of my RP6: glass platter, sub platter with aluminum cap and wool mat. The total height came exactly to the height of the original RP1 plastic platter and felt mat. With the new set up I also found that the black belt is the best option. The Rega White belt was 0.4% fast. The Edwards Audio Little Belter blue belt was 0.2% slow. The original Rega black belt was just 0.1% fast. I had upgrade my RP6 with a Groovetracer Delrin platter and Reference Subplatter and had the extra parts in storage and decided to give them a try and found they work fine. The RP1 plays much better and the improvement is dramatic. Now that I come to think about it, I upgraded my RP6 with the Groovetracer Counterweight and I have the original counterweight of my RB303 in storage. I'm going to see if it makes a positive improvement. By-the-way, I have no association with Groovetracer and this is not an endorsement. Just wanted to share my experience.
hanzel3124

United States of America

Re: Upgraded RP1 with RP6 parts

Postby readargos » 04 Jan 2017 18:12

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

How did you rate the Groovetracer upgrades over the stock RP6? I've known another RP6 user who made this jump, and found it a worthwhile step up over the stock parts.

At a moderate cost, you might look at Herbie's Way Excellent Mat instead of the Rega felt. I don't like putting vacuum-cleaned vinyl on the felt.
Pro-Ject RPM 10.1, Ortofon 2M Black; Rega P25-24V+TTPSU, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Michell Technoarm, Isokinetic Sub 2, GT Acrylic Platter; Musical Fidelity kW Phono, A308cr Pre-, Power & CD; Cardas Golden Ref Phono, IC, & Speaker, Cross PCs; JMlab Electra 915; M&K 700 MX
readargos

United States of America

Postby hanzel3124 » 06 Jan 2017 00:02

Readargo, i will try my best. Please, consider that my living room were i have my audio equipment set up is not ideal, so take all this with a grain of salt. With the Groovetracer Reference Subplatter, Delrin Platter, ceramic ball bearing and Counterweight installed on my RP6 connected to a Brio r and feeding a pair of Vandersteen's 1Ci i find that to my ears the music sounds more clear. I can hear more instruments compared to the Rega parts (glass platter, original subplatter, steel ball bearing, wool mat and original counterweight). For example, i find that cymbals sound very exquisite with a great attack, extension and decay with Groovetracer. I believe that if you get the cymbals to play right then other instruments will align themselves to sound right also. I do notice a couple of trade-off (others may have a different impression than mine and i find their observations also valid) - first I noticed that the instruments are not as solidly imaged as with the Rega parts installed. For example, with the Rega parts installed i can pinpoint the exact point were the attack on the instrument was made and say "its just right there in that point in space ". Not so with the Groovetracer parts installed. With Groovetracer you can tell for example that the trumpet is coming from an area slightly to the right of the left speaker but is not as precise as the Rega. But strangely enough the Groovetracer sounds more rich and real to me. Second, the Rega parts throws a larger soundstage were i can hear instruments pass the outer edges of the loudspeakers on many recordings. With the Groovetracer parts installed the soundstage occurs between the speakres. But something happened recently. You see I have had the Groovetracer parts on the RP6 for a little over a year and i had never heard it to project music beyond the boundaries of the speakers. I was ok with this because i find that kind of projection distracting and I rather be tapping. Until about a month ago when i played the japanese version of Tomita's Planets and i had the happy surprise to hear some of the music clearly well beyond the boundaries of the the speakers and I got convinced that Groovetracer can project beyond the boundaries when it was intentionally recorded that way by the artist to project in that manner. Many respect if others have a different experience as mine.
hanzel3124

United States of America

Postby readargos » 06 Jan 2017 06:13

Thanks for sharing. The richer sound from the delrin jives with what I've read from others on the forum. I've not heard the Groovetracer delrin, but delrin has a little more cachet these days than acrylic. Clearaudio went to delrin platters, and a lot of people are using delrin for dampening purposes these days, like inside the Groovetracer RP6 suplatter, or the VPI Prime bearing cups, and the VPI screw-down record clamp.

I ran an RP6 platter on my P3-24 with a Tangospinner RP6 subplatter. I found it had more stable soundstaging, so orchestral imaging and depth was better. It has more bass, but was a little darker than the P3 platter. The P3, with Groovetracer Reference supblatter, sounded more open and more toe-tapping, but I regarded the RP6 platter as better. In both cases, I used a cork mat.

Then I got the Groovetracer acrylic platter. It has the brighter, more open sound of the P3 platter, but better bass than the RP6 platter. I also thought it had better soundstaging than RP6 platter.

In all cases, I got imaging outside the box, but the acrylic was the biggest. Some people find acrylic too bright, however.

I'm interested to hear the delrin platter, but it's a low priority right now since I'm using the Pro-Ject as my main 'table.
Pro-Ject RPM 10.1, Ortofon 2M Black; Rega P25-24V+TTPSU, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Michell Technoarm, Isokinetic Sub 2, GT Acrylic Platter; Musical Fidelity kW Phono, A308cr Pre-, Power & CD; Cardas Golden Ref Phono, IC, & Speaker, Cross PCs; JMlab Electra 915; M&K 700 MX
readargos

United States of America

Postby hanzel3124 » 07 Jan 2017 21:51

Readargos, I opted for the Groovetracer parts because it bother me that my original Rega set up was not spinning flat. In my RP6 not only the subplatter was bobbing up and down, but also when i ran a finger on the outer edge of the glass platter i felt a small bump. In other words my glass platter circumference is not perfectly even. I felt that even if i could get a good replacement for the subplatter i could never get a good Rega replacement glass platter. The reason for that is because when I checked the platter of the RP6 demo at the dealer store I noticed It had the same bump around its edge. Not only the RP6 but the demo RP8 as well. I figured that those imperfections must be influencing the sound in someway too.

The Groovetracer parts fixed all that and with the advantage that I didn't need to go through many types of mats trying to figure out which one sound good to me. Thanks.
hanzel3124

United States of America

Postby readargos » 09 Jan 2017 01:38

My impression is that glass can't be machined accurately enough for use in a high-end turntable. Rega chose their compromises, and they are very clear about what they think is important (e.g., rigidity) and what's not (e.g., adjustable VTA). That is one reason that I went with a modded P25, and ended up with a Pro-Ject turntable, rather than an RP8 at either step. I couldn't justify spending $3,000 on a turntable that, in my opinion, did not have a better platter. I'm surprised Rega didn't carry over the P7 platter, but my thought is that the maybe the RP8 with P7 platter would've been too close in sound quality to the RP10.
readargos

United States of America

Postby Legrace » 10 Jan 2017 01:11

I'd argue the glass platter on the RP6 is one of its best parts. One of the few components on my RP6 still original! :lol: Isolation and cartridge upgrade are much larger opportunities IMHO...
Reanimated vinyl enthusiast circa 2015; Phono 1: Rega RP6 w/AudioMods 5 Arm/Apheta 2 or Dyna 17D3; Phono 2: Dual 721/V15III; Amps: Marantz PM11S1, VTA M-125 monoblocks; Speakers: Tannoy D700; Sub: SVS SB2000
Legrace

Canada

Postby hanzel3124 » 11 Jan 2017 19:21

Legrace, good to hear that the glass platter/mat combination works good for you. On further inspection of my glass platter i found a small bump on the inner edge also. These imperfections implies that the spindle hole may not be at the center position and technically there must be some wobble, although unnoticeable while the platter spins. I ponder the improvements we would get if Rega had given us a platter with better terminations. But i guess we will never know, right? The RP6 is a great table even with no modifications, and i thank Roy Gandy for all he has done in keeping the vinyl format spinning.
hanzel3124

United States of America

Postby Drewan77 » 11 Jan 2017 20:47

Legrace wrote:I'd argue the glass platter on the RP6 is one of its best parts. One of the few components on my RP6 still original! :lol: Isolation and cartridge upgrade are much larger opportunities IMHO...

I agree with this sentiment - I tried an acrylic platter & found it dulled the sound, making it sterile & a bit lifeless. Myself & 2 friends purchased original red plinth RP6's when launched in 2012 & all 3 have completely smooth, blemish free platters.

I have since trimmed, shaped & bonded a silicon platter mat to the underside of the original platter and use leather &/or a cork spot mat on top - a glass 'sandwich'. The glass is also sprayed white as can be seen in my avatar picture.
Andrew
Drewan77

United Kingdom

Return to Rega