the home of the turntable

Tangospinner upgrades

on level ground

Tangospinner upgrades

Postby rob80b » 14 Mar 2014 14:28

Waiting on my Tangospinner sub platter and pulley for my P25 from Gus but thought it would be time to start an dedicated thread as opposed to the other thread “Rega Subplatter from Argentina?” now that the site is up.
http://tangospinner.com/tangospinner/web/home
rob80b

Canada

Re: Tangospinner upgrades

Postby Etnier » 14 Mar 2014 17:26

That is a handsome site, and a great name.
<<< Click on my name for audio system info.
Etnier

United States of America

Postby Etnier » 14 Mar 2014 17:29

Gus, if you're here: could you explain a bit more about the "Easy plug & play system: No risky and threatening glue. No screws causing mass imbalance." as regards the pulleys?
<<< Click on my name for audio system info.
Etnier

United States of America

Postby Sandbah 92 » 14 Mar 2014 18:32

Very classy, neat, uncluttered website!
Sandbah 92

United States of America

Postby genriquez » 14 Mar 2014 23:44

Hi there ! Thanks for your comments about website. It will be improved very soon, according some minor details and some difficulties about contact forms. Please contact me as usual or at info@tangospinner.com
Ok ! Let`s go to the point : Original Rega pulleys are usually glued, but since TS pulleys has special design that includes a butyl quadring inserted into bottom, it fits perfectly and tight into motor shaft without using glue or screw clamps. It`s really a plug and play system :-)
Hope you like them ! Have a great vinyl weekend,
Gus
genriquez

Argentina

Postby rob80b » 26 Mar 2014 18:33

Just to bump this thread, my Tangospinner sub platter is now in Canadian customs, so hopefully I’ll have it in my hands sooner than later and be able to pass on my observations.
In the meantime I’ve been spinning a lot of vinyl on my newly acquired P25 so that I’ll have a reference to work with. :wink:
rob80b

Canada

Postby Indydan » 28 Mar 2014 00:15

genriquez wrote:Hi there ! Thanks for your comments about website. It will be improved very soon, according some minor details and some difficulties about contact forms. Please contact me as usual or at info@tangospinner.com
Ok ! Let`s go to the point : Original Rega pulleys are usually glued, but since TS pulleys has special design that includes a butyl quadring inserted into bottom, it fits perfectly and tight into motor shaft without using glue or screw clamps. It`s really a plug and play system :-)
Gus

Hello Gus. Do you include a tool and provide a method to safely remove the Rega pulley? Would it be possible to provide pictures and or a video of the pulley, and how it fits onto the spindle? I don't quite understand the butyl quadring design.
Indydan

Postby rob80b » 28 Mar 2014 01:04

Indydan wrote:
Hello Gus. Do you include a tool and provide a method to safely remove the Rega pulley? Would it be possible to provide pictures and or a video of the pulley, and how it fits onto the spindle? I don't quite understand the butyl quadring design.

Just received my sub platter and spindle today for my P25 and I’ll report more on it later on but in terms of the spindle I was all set to get some leverage tools and all, but by just slowing forcing my finger tips underneath popped it right off, your P3-24 may be different in term of accessible clearance though.
So far I will say everything appears tighter and clearly defined with a crisper top end, less smearing. (more CD like if I may dare say so :oops: ).
rob80b

Canada

Postby rob80b » 28 Mar 2014 01:09

genriquez wrote:Hi there !
Ok ! Let`s go to the point ....... It`s really a plug and play system :-)
Gus

Yup.. took me all of ten minutes, clean lubricate, install and thanks to who ever recommended a drinking straw to remove the original bearing.
rob80b

Canada

Postby plastico » 28 Mar 2014 02:58

Your welcome. 8)

Cheers, Doug
Quest plinth in Nightfire Red finish,Rega 24v motor,GT Delrin platter/Sub-platter, Audiomods Classic,Denon DL-103r/Pulse Guard rebody,Budgie 1254 SUT, Herbies isolation stuff, Bryston 4bst/Audio Research SP9 pre/Golden Ear Triton Two's Paradigm PW2100 sub
plastico

Canada

Postby Indydan » 28 Mar 2014 03:29

rob80b wrote:
Indydan wrote:

Just received my sub platter and spindle today for my P25 and I’ll report more on it later on but in terms of the spindle I was all set to get some leverage tools and all, but by just slowing forcing my finger tips underneath popped it right off, your P3-24 may be different in term of accessible clearance though.
So far I will say everything appears tighter and clearly defined with a crisper top end, less smearing. (more CD like if I may dare say so :oops: ).

Thanks for the info! I might actually give it a try. Does the speed sound right? I have heard that one after market double pulley (not this one) changes the speed of the table.

Also, since the new double pulley has no screw or glue, can it possibly slip around the motor spindle?

Enjoy that upgrade! :D
Indydan

Postby rob80b » 28 Mar 2014 22:08

Will add a detailed review once I'm accustomed to the change in sound but a little eye candy for now.
https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/rob80b/Tango2_zps3d503bf8.jpg

One small concern I do have though, if your reading this Gus, is that silicon belt is a lot tighter than the standard Rega belt (although rubber is more pliable so it may be just that). But when first turned on there is a slight grinding noise as the platter sits stationary and then I need to give the platter a spin get it moving, (this occurrence I have found (after panicking a bit) is quite common though with Regas so not an immediate worry) but I hadn’t experienced prior to the install.
Wondering if this excess force pulling on the motor/spindle/pulley may add undo stress to the motor bearings over time, but I’m sure the belt will stretch a bit.

https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/rob80b/Tango1_zps161e2d8f.jpg

On a positive note I was quite stunned by the much improved clarity with regards to piano, listening to Sergie Rachmaninov’s Suites for 2 Pianos with Güher & Süher Pekinel, Deutsche Grammophon 1981 and Harold Budd’s “The Pearl” 1984, high notes were crystal clear.
I saw elsewhere someone mentioned that there was less bass which I’ve have found is usually a perception when lower notes are tightened up with less bloat and over hang, which in my books is a good thing and was most evident replaying Simple Minds’ “New Gold Dream” and Shriekback’s “Care “ album.
Overall so far without getting into more details, Gus’s sub platter/pulley combo has brought an already descent turntable up quite a few notches.
Thanks Gus!

Supporting gear:

Sources:
Rega P25/Sumiko Blue Point 2 with Tangospinner Sub platter, pulley and silicon belt on Target wall mount
Bryston BCD-1
Preamp:
Emotiva USP-1 (replaced my Bryston BP25P)
Amp:
Bryston 4bSST
Speakers:
Dynaudio Special 25s
Velodyne SPL1500R/SMS-1
rob80b

Canada

Postby rob80b » 29 Mar 2014 02:03

https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/rob80b/Yello_-_Stella_cover_zpse2de3a62.jpg
Just to chill out after a long day, randomly pulled the 1985 album Stella by the Swiss group Yello and the inclusion of the Tangospinner showed once more that it is indeed becoming an indispensible upgrade, upping the anti with excellent pace and rhythm.

https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/rob80b/ligetibrown_zps9328bfc4.jpg
And just to change the tempo took a listen to the Lasalle Quartet with works by Ligeti, Earle Brown and Wolf Rosenberg on Deutsche Grammophon 1970, the interplay and space between the musicians was again clearly defined with admirable width and stage depth, and tiny details emerged which I hadn’t really noticed before.

Some have mentioned that there is a reduction in the noise floor, can’t really say but the above two albums were listened to while burning in my Sennheiser HD700s headphones with a Bryston BHA-1 head-amp if that’s any indication.
https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/rob80b/Bryton%20BHA-1%20plus/IMG_1192_zps0a2131d4.jpg
rob80b

Canada

Postby genriquez » 29 Mar 2014 02:27

Hi Rob, Indydan and friends ! Dear Indydan: I promise to upload some photos about pulley bottom. Butyl quadring fits tight and secure into motor shaft without any slipping.
Regarding belts, dear Rob, I have two different belts measurements for 50 or 60 Hz kits. Section diameter is just the same, but total lenght is slightly different. 60 Hz pulleys have a smaller "belt track" than 50 Hz ones. So I saw that the Rega std belt fits too loose or too tight regarding different pulleys (subplatter is just the same ever). So, for USA, Peru, Canada or Brazil I usually shipped a slightly smaller belt. For Europe, Australia, New Zealand belt is slightly bigger. I´m sure that upgrade kit will be "settling down" :-) shortly, anyway if you prefer a bigger belt I´ll be happy to ship you the "european" belt. No problem at all of course ! Please PM me. Nice photos, indeed ! It´s so interesting to see the final destination of each part.
Have all a great weekend...Alan Parsons next week in Buenos Aires !
Gus
genriquez

Argentina

Postby rob80b » 29 Mar 2014 03:37

Thanks Gus,

The belt may be tighter, but about the only word I can say right now is "Control", where I feel for the first time, the arm, cartridge, platter, sub platter, pulley and motor are all working as one at getting the stylus to properly track the groves in the disc.

Robert
rob80b

Canada

Next

Return to Rega