R200 dismantle?

on level ground
Bandit127
Great Britain

Re: R200 dismantle?

Post by Bandit127 » 10 Mar 2016 17:41

Hi and Welcome!

On mine, both black wires were doubled up on the earth tab. (I posted a rudimentary wiring diagram about halfway down the second page in this thread for reference).

Good luck with a fiddly job, but it is very rewarding when done and I don't think my new belt will be rotting to dust any time soon.

dfrlee

Post by dfrlee » 10 Mar 2016 20:15

Thanks so much, that's extremely helpful. The very thought of fiddly reassembly
and then discovering new problems - well, I'd rather not contemplate that
scenario.

dfrlee

Post by dfrlee » 13 Mar 2016 17:14

I have my R200 arm dismantled, ready for AS belt replacement and re. an earlier comment, regarding the short and brittle wires to contend with, I'm considering attempting a re-wire too.

I was wondering (hoping) someone has experience of this; for example, is it possible to use minimal disturbance and utilise the existing wires as a pull-through. Also, in how to remove the headshell collar? The grub screw comes out easily but the collar is so tight - is it glued or simply ultra tight? I'm looking for damage limitation here!

Advice on either of these points or indeed any other thoughts/tips would be gratefully received.

Regards to all,
David.

readargos

Post by readargos » 13 Apr 2016 21:45

There are instructions here for a "Hot Wired Rega".

viewtopic.php?t=1145

mike-nz

Post by mike-nz » 11 Jul 2016 07:17

Hi from first-time poster in New Zealand.
Using this thread here I have re-anti-skate-belted my R200 tonearm fitted to my Dunlop Systemdek IIX. BUT....now the rebuilt anti-skate is very anti-clockwise swinging. Clearly I didn't align "Zero" with the correct rotation on the shaft helix. Has anyone got an idea of how to calibrate my dial with my helix? I I will have to dismantle the assembly again. Regards.

mike-nz

Post by mike-nz » 11 Jul 2016 07:22

Replying to David : when I did mine I used the wires as a pull-though for a piece of thin polyester soft thread. Then I used the thread to pull thought new wires on a two-at-a-time basis. I do remember being concerned about how tight the headshell collar was : but it wasn't glued, it was just tight. I used a jeweller's screwdriver to leverage the arm split a wee bit. Good luck.

Diamaguene

Post by Diamaguene » 28 Sep 2016 21:35

Hi everybody,

I am desperatly searching for an AS belt, here in France. But ordering from DSP is quite expensive (shipping is 34 $ !), so I was wondering : Is anyone of you, reading me from the USA, could order these belts and send them to me in a simple envelopp ?

Thank you for futur support :)

williamsunique

Post by williamsunique » 18 Feb 2017 15:08

williamsunique wrote:Hi, if anyone requires a belt. I have a few. They are slightly longer than the original and require a spacer to take up the slight slack. The fitting of this belt is covered here at Vinylengine.
I would like £3.00 plus post for the belt. Alternatively you can order from SDP SI the part number is 'A 6B 18M140030'

Best Regards Paul
Please note I no longer have any belts left.

Regards Paul

nickitson

Post by nickitson » 27 Feb 2017 22:10

Hi to all who have checked in an commented since the thread started. I have just had a pm from a fellow enthusiast who points out that the original link to the replacement belt I obtained is no longer valid. I have looked back through some old e-mails for the part number and can advise that the correct link is (currently): http://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/product/ ... B18M140030

Happy hunting.

Nick.

strandmalort

Post by strandmalort » 16 May 2017 13:37

Hi, I just checked the SPD/SI catalogue, they also sell the 128 mm belt http://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/product/ ... B18M128030 do you think it is too short? Regards Philippe

Curiofranko3232

Post by Curiofranko3232 » 25 May 2017 07:11

Hi,
I have just purchased an R200 tonearm that is supposed to be in very good condition.
When it arrives the first thing i will do is to check the belt. I knew the problems with the arm, but your post is one of the best,practical posts I have seen. I now have no worries to restore my new arm if it has problems. I have also purchased a spare belt from an English EBAY seller, if I need to use it for insurance.
Thanks,
Frank

Paulo Batista Gomes

Post by Paulo Batista Gomes » 15 Aug 2017 01:13

Hi friend,
Please, if possible clarify to me, in which part of the body
of the arm the fifth black wire (ground) will be fixed (soldered)?
Thanks
Paulo

Tippo83

Post by Tippo83 » 16 Dec 2017 09:10

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting. I have been refurbishing a Rega planar 3 with a r200 tonearm. I have changed the AS belt. My problem is with the ground wires there are 2 black ground wires and I can't figure out where the solder points are inside the arm. One is connected to a metal plate in the tone arm and then the ground point in the 5 point connector but I have no idea about the other.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing your responses.

rischenker

Post by rischenker » 08 Jan 2018 22:20

I have found this thread extremely enlightening and encouraging.
I want to point out something I learned (the hard way) about removing the headshell retaining collet. On other arms I've heated the area where the collet is inserted to soften any epoxy. Many arms don't use a screw at all, only glue. On a recent attempt at removing the collet from an R200, I took out the screw. I also spotted a drop of what appeared to be clear epoxy around the joint between the collet and the arm tube, so when the collet refused to budge, I heated it to soften the glue. This proved to be a disaster. Inside the collet are the sprung contact pins that connect the arm wires to the headshell. These are mounted in a nylon cylindrical piece that is it pressed into the barrel of the collet. Heating can melt the nylon, causing the pins to become stuck. This is made more likely by the steel arm tube, which transfers heat very efficiently. And because of the tight fit between the arm tube and collet, you may be tempted to keep heating, as I did. Big mistake. I ended up having to find a suitable collet from another brand of arm. Adapting it is proving to be a bit of a challenge.
So, to sum up, try to avoid heating the collet to remove it. And when you attempt to solder new wires to the connector pins, use something to serve as a heat sink. I've read one suggestion to mount a headshell (sans cartridge). I think a small hemostat or even small alligator clip would also work.
Bob S.

xander054

Post by xander054 » 19 Mar 2018 13:09

Hello all,

At the request of a colleague at work who has the Rega 200 arm with a broken bias belt I have successfully designed and 3D printed a replacement using a flexible filament, and it looks to work really well!

The material has very favorable mechanical properties so it should be very robust and hopefully last a long time.

Tensile Strength, Yield ASTM D638 580 psi 4 Mpa
Tensile Strength, Ultimate ASTM D638 3,700 psi 26 Mpa
Tensile Modulus ASTM D638 1,800 psi 12 Mpa
Elongation at Yield ASTM D638 65%
Elongation at Break ASTM D638 660%
Hardness ASTM D2240 85 Shore A 85 Shore A
Abrasion Resistance (mass loss, 10,000 cycles) ASTM D4060 0.08 g

My colleague has not had a chance to refit the arm but the belt does fit in the housing with adequate clearance and the teeth match up with the gears.

I am considering selling these belts and was hoping one or two of you guys who are still looking for a replacement could test them for me free of charge and report back?

I have attached some pictures for you to have a look, please let me know if you are interested and PM with details so i can post you the belt.

Thanks (and i hope i am not breaking any forum rules!)

Xander
Attachments
Rega Bias Belt.jpg
(153.96 KiB) Downloaded 1344 times