the home of the turntable

Michael Lim Upgrades

on level ground

Re: Michael Lim Upgrades

Postby motionmover » 24 Mar 2014 21:17

I have a P5 with a groovetracer reference sub platter. Will I need to remove the motor from it's mount in order to remove the stock Rega pulley and install the Michael Lim Pulley?

I have a pulley puller. With it you won't have to remove the motor.
I have sent you a PM.
motionmover

Canada

Postby Thorenasaurus » 24 Mar 2014 21:40

Thank-you motionmover!
Thorenasaurus

Canada

Postby awty » 27 Mar 2014 23:23

I bought a Michael Lim under slung counter weight a couple of years ago, a good improvement over the stock rb300 one and recently Michael contacted me to send me an add on 4.5g weight to screw on to the end stub for fine tuning the VTF for free and it works a treat......what great service.
awty

Postby JohnMichael » 28 Mar 2014 01:32

I just realized I had not posted about my Michael Lim top and bottom braces in this thread. Having an older Planar 2 and seeing the new tables were braced I wanted to brace my table. I contacted someone who was well respected for their Rega tweaks and was told braces were low on his list of priorities. Luckily a member of an audio site told me about Michael and his braces.

I ordered the top and bottom braces and installed them. The top brace is similar to the Rega brace in that it is from the tonearm to the bearing well. The bottom brace is different in that it attaches at the underside of the table at the bearing well and dissipates bearing vibrations to the feet. Imaging is solid and mechanical noise is further reduced. What a great affordable tweak.
Rega Planar 2, Incognito Rewire, Michell Technoweight, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, 24V motor and TTPSU, Funk Firm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2Rega feet and one RDC cone, Grado Sonata Statement, Moon 110 LP.
JohnMichael

United States of America

Postby rev76 » 06 Feb 2015 04:18

Just upgraded to the double pulley today with 2x white Rega belts on my NAD 533 and WOW that made a difference! Wow and Flutter is gone. It was more noticeable in acoustic recordings.
rev76

United States of America

Postby ragstoriches » 01 May 2015 15:21

Hi Michael,

Great news regarding my Ortofon 2M Black cartridge...

You were correct...It was premature of me to complain about it. What I have found out through listening tests is that the cartridge has a very good mid-range ability to capture the sounds at that level of the sound spectrum.

My Tannoy loudspeakers were set at max mid-range, thus when I played back the vinyl, it was too bright (too much mid-range). It was annoying me, until I set my speakers at one notch lower on the mid-range knob, and results are incredible. You wouldn't believe such a simple adjustment can transform the entire sound, but it does! My system sounds as good as Pro-recorded vinyl I have from systems costing over $100K, so I am extremely happy with my results.

Another important adjustment (tweak) I made was I used an "effect" on my Audacity recording software called "Amplify" which maximizes the volume of the recorded vinyl while ensuring there is no clipping. This made a major improvement in the playback sound of the recorded vinyl (it makes a big difference to ensure the recorded vinyl is at max volume levels).

These 2 changes (and of course your upgrades to my Rega RP6 TT) have finalized my search for vinyl audio quality, and I can rest easy now, knowing I have achieved my goal in creating professional sounding digital recordings from vinyl records.

In my opinion, as a general rule, the vinyl does sound better than cd.

This is why we go to such lengths to get the right equipment for the vinyl.

Thank you, Michael, it has been great dealing with you. Your tips and upgrades are highly recommended. You are a true expert in upgrading the Rega RP6 turntable.

All the best.

Regards,

- Tony B.A.Sc.
Toronto, Canada
ragstoriches

Canada

Postby Drewan77 » 20 Aug 2015 17:46

I have previously used Michael Lim for his Rega double Pulley & belts (the Lim pulley-puller made the job of removing the old one easy) and recently the Motor Isolation Base & a bespoke acrylic double plinth with aluminium feet and upper/lower braces. See the Vinyl Engine link here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=79713

Not only are the products of excellent quality, great value and make a very positive impact on music listening, Michael is also a fabulous guy to deal with. He is very responsive and helpful and nothing seems like too much trouble. Everything I have purchased from him is of the highest precision and accuracy.

The motor Isolation base was delivered to the UK within 4 days from despatch and the acrylic plinths just over a week.
Andrew
Drewan77

United Kingdom

Postby Hermetech Mastering » 20 Aug 2015 19:37

Any way to use the motor isolation base with the Rega wall mount?
Rega RP6/RB303, Wall Mount, AT150 MLX Cart, GT Sub & Counterweight, TS Triple Pulley & Opal Belts, Radial J33 Phono Pre, Crookwood Mastering Console/Monitor Controller/ADC/2 x DAC/VU Meter, ATC SCM20 ASL Pro Monitors, Sennheiser HD600 Cans
Hermetech Mastering

United Kingdom

Postby Drewan77 » 20 Aug 2015 21:45

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Any way to use the motor isolation base with the Rega wall mount?

Yes, if you use a Michael Lim acrylic isolation platform beneath the TT, I believe the 3 feet will align with the wall mount cups (just email Mr Lim to check)

http://lpturntables.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... ories.html

scroll down the page....11. Acrylic isolation platform with metal spikes, Model AP20m - USD110.00
Andrew
Drewan77

United Kingdom

Postby Hermetech Mastering » 20 Aug 2015 22:45

Hmm, don't really need an extra isolation base when I already have the amazing wall mount though!
Rega RP6/RB303, Wall Mount, AT150 MLX Cart, GT Sub & Counterweight, TS Triple Pulley & Opal Belts, Radial J33 Phono Pre, Crookwood Mastering Console/Monitor Controller/ADC/2 x DAC/VU Meter, ATC SCM20 ASL Pro Monitors, Sennheiser HD600 Cans
Hermetech Mastering

United Kingdom

Postby lrpLakeSide » 10 Sep 2015 15:41

I recently installed one of Mr. Lim's dual pulley and aluminum sub platters, along with two orange belts. the differences were immediate and very noticeable, I have struggled with a wobble in sustained notes with this table since I got it, adding the TT PSU helped a little, but the sub platter and new pulley have now eliminated it completely, when I heard that I was amazed. The table felt more solid in its sound presentation after the installation, everything seems to have better timing and when anything sustained comes across the speaker I still smile a little even though its been 5 weeks and several hours of listening time.

As for the install itself, it was surprisingly easy, the pulley swap was a little intimidating, but once I actually did it, I was amazed at how quick and easy it was, the pulley puller makes this an easy task. The subplatter is beautiful and once again that was a snap to swap out, Mr. Lim provide everything needed.

I just picked up several new disks and have been listening to the newly re-released Black Crows Live albums as I type this up, not sure if it's the upgrades or what, but the dynamics on these albums through my system are amazing, you can feel the back up singers to the left rear of the band, and Rich off to Chris's right. I have a modest hi-fi with my Rega P5 and TT PSU plugged into a Vincent PHO-8 phono preamp. That is plugged into a Vincent SA 31/SP 331 pre/amp combo running a pair of Focal Chorus 826V's. Everything is connected with AudioQuest wires.
lrpLakeSide

United States of America

Postby BarakaPDub » 23 Sep 2015 15:27

For those who have not done the double pulley upgrade and are curious to see the installation and measured effects, I did a video which can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUf0aU3O8Xk

The installation was simple and I made the upgrade on my P3-24. I also did some tests using a single belt system which can be found here. While the stock table is good, the double pulley system does make it better in terms of speed control and stability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUf0aU3O8Xk

In the future, I am looking to procure a test record where I can show more data on the single vs. double belt system but I think you can conclude that this upgrade is worthwhile if you want to go down this path.

Hope folks that haven't made the jump yet find this useful.
BarakaPDub

United States of America

Postby pawlus » 02 Nov 2015 00:49

I just installed a dual pulley and silicon belts on my Planar 2 to complement my other modifications. The parts are well made and my platter starts up much more quickly. A definite improvement over the stock parts.
pawlus

Postby V572625694 » 04 Nov 2015 02:57

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Any way to use the motor isolation base with the Rega wall mount?

I had a piece of 1/2" medium density fiberboard (MDF) cut to fit the rectangular opening in the wall mount below the turntable. I sanded, primed and spraypainted the board before mounting it. Drilling a few small holes through the metal frame allows brads to be nailed through the frame into the MDF. The only fussy part was the right front corner, where the diagonal brace comes up from the lower wall frame, but you can shape the corner of the MDF enough with sandpaper to allow it to clear the brace.

I did this to shield my RP-3 from the heat of the tube amp below it (I also added reflective aluminum tape to the lower surface). Fit and finish weren't critical because you can barely see it from any angle, but if you're going to use the "shelf" to support the motor isolation base, you may want to be sure the MDF is mounted firmly.
V572625694

United States of America

Postby kb007 » 28 Nov 2015 00:52

I rec'd the Lim motor base and counter weight a couple of weeks ago and figured I'd provide some feedback after a minor setback, but overall a very positive experience.

The motor base install went fairly well, mostly as per Michael's instructions. The act of prying the motor away from the plinth gave me some concern, but the sticky tape gave in like a cheap date and it was all over fairly quickly. I did have some head scratching about how to fit the pcb into the supplied case, but figured it out after a couple of beers.
I ended up needing 2 of the supplied shims to get the motor to the right height.

The supplied feet are a little cheap-ish, but work for now (and really for the price of this upgrade I can hardly quibble about the feet) other than they are simply placed in the alum cups with no screws. My TT to is on a wall shelf, so room isolation is not a real issue. I ended up using a small piece of neoprene under the 3 feet and the motor base.

The counter weight went on easily as the rb900 end stub is different from other regas and attached with a hex bolt. In the end the stub does not get removed, but the sleeve is installed directly on the rega stub.

Initially I found I had developed a bit of a wobble problem on some records, similar to the grado "dance" problem and was scratching my head to figure out what was going on. Eventually I found a couple of posts with similar issue with the dyna 17d3 and I tried the suggestion of adding a little mass to the headsheel (2 grams in my case) and with the extra mass and a re-set of the vtf, it seems all is now good.

I emailed Michael a few times during this and he was always very quick to reply with suggestions to try to help.

I have to start by saying this is really an incredible value for the improvement in sound for the relatively small price.

Some of the things I noticed:

Noise floor dropped a lot, much less dirt and cloud
Lf noise is just gone, no wow, nothing
I'm able to play at louder volume levels due to less noise, which really makes me happy
Bass attack improved, overall instrument attack is more realistic
Certain instruments have much more realism, eg tracy chapman's guitar on fast car is much more realistic
High freq energy is improved, percussion and other highs are crisper, less muddy with improved sustain or duration.
Imaging and sound positioning is far more solid, things stay in one place rather than move around sometimes.
The micro vibration, or the sense that an instrument like say a violin or an oboe is vibrating to make sound is far more obvious. The feeling and sound of the vibration is greatly enhanced. If you've ever sat in front of a cello you knew w what I mean.

It's not just like someone's wiped the grime off a dirty window, it's like the window is gone and nothing but natural, real sound is coming through.

Overall the improvement is striking and the value phenomenal.
Main: JMLab Mezzo Utopias, Oracle Delphi 2/3, SME309, Sumiko Celebration, AR CD3, Sutherland Insight, Moon P5, AR VT-100 Sec: Rega P6/RB900 Lim Iso base, Acrylic skeletal plinth/braces, dbl pulley, gt sub, DV 17D3, Anthem AVM60, 2X Bryston 4BSST, 2X Anthem MCA50, Acoustech PH-1, Totem M1 Sig
kb007

Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Rega